Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Learning to "micro fly" !-success story

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Learning to "micro fly" !-success story

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 03:41 AM
Hanger-Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learning to "micro fly" !-success story

Well, I finally had a successful outing with the little Lightning from smallrc.com

It has taken me a while to set the plane up properly and learn not to break the tiny battery tabs, and figure out where to stuff the components for proper center of gravity. (gotta work with needle nose pliers and tweezers on this little sucker!)

Basically this is one of those "instant charge and fly" planes like you get from WalMart and other places.

Then, you open up the fuselage and remove all the hardware inside and install the smallrc.com motor, receiver/controller and the control actuators on the tail surfaces.

Amazingly, the dang little thing actually flies. The other guys at the field today were laughing so hard they could hardly stand up. It is a hoot to watch this little thing skitter across the field.

Next project, the "Little Skeeter" from this same outfit. It's a laser cut kit. Should be fun.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	104412_41897.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	58707  
Old 08-25-2003, 03:51 AM
hurt
My Feedback: (1)

how big is that?
Old 08-25-2003, 04:31 AM
Mike Taylor

It's 14" WS, and about 30 grams. It is a hoot. I have built several of them, and the last one has the 230 mah LiPoly. I've had timed flight of 18 to 22 minutes. Outside, it is a kick. You can thermal off a little league infield, and slope soar over a line of parked cars...

Here's the bottom of one showing the RFFS radio - all 1.6 grams of it!

Name:	104436_36609.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	58708  
Old 08-25-2003, 05:09 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

I need one of those!!!
Old 08-25-2003, 09:46 AM
Hanger-Flyer

Default More Lightning pics, please...

Mike Taylor:

I am going to build my 2nd Lightning soon (after I get my "Lil Skeeter" in the air) and would appreciate any ideas.

Could you post more pics of your Lightning, or some tips?

-I see you have the receiver near the center of the fuselage, where is the battery? Near the motor, I assume?

-how did you run the actuator wires into the fuselage?

-is that a power switch near the receiver/controller?

-what is the voltage on the 230 mah battery? Still 4.2 volts?

-are you using the fold-up prop, or is the solid prop better?

Thanks!

Name:	104447_41897.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	58709  
Old 08-25-2003, 02:08 PM
Mike Taylor

Hanger Flyer,

Yes, I do have some tips. I've been flying these little systems for quite a while and have learned a lot of tricks to make them work better. I'm sorry, but I dont have many pictures of that plane. It has been pretty well documented other places, and I didn't bother.

The battery is pretty well forward. Exact placement of the battery depends on the size of the battery. Once you get it to balance, a small peice of servo tape holds it in place. Balance, BTW, should be on the plastic 'spar', not behind it. The 230 mah LiPoly is the same voltage as the other LiPolys.

I used the surface mounted actuators, and made a small triangular cut out by the fin into the fuselage (like a the piece you cut out to test a melon), ran the wires inside, then put the plug I cut out back in. Its almost invisible.

One tip on the actuators: A very small magnet, like 1/16" x 1/32" mounted to the outside of the coil, or 1/8" x 1/16" mounted in the stabilizer ahead of the coil, and inline with the actuator magnets, will provide centering force for the actuators. This helps keep the elevator from hanging while you admire your work, and it also makes the controls respond more proportionally to the stick movements. Here's a photo of another model using the larger magnet to center and smooth out the controls. Before adding the magnet to the aileron, the pplane was almost unctrollable, afterwards, it flew MUCH better.

The power switch are charging jack aren't visible. They are mounted on the piece of 1/64" ply that is just visible near the nose.

I used the U-80 prop (the folders weren't available when I built mine), and I have never broken one. The folders don't feel like they give as much thrust (note: I haven't measured them other than by feel). I did get a little better performance from a KP 2-blade adjustable prop that I got from a small hobby shop that specializes in indoor models.

One other tip, to get the plane to ROG better, I bent the LG backwards so the wheels wind up being under the wing LE.

Name:	104496_36609.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	58710  
Old 08-25-2003, 07:47 PM
Hanger-Flyer

Default More on Sub-micro success

Thanks, Mike Taylor for the info. I think I will use the 230 mah li-poly battery DWE sent me for the next Lightning when I set it up.

Meantime, the present Lightning has been an increasingly successful flyer. I had it in the air about 4 times today, and it's done great! I put in the little yellow stick antenna and poked it up thru the top of the wing, as suggested by the folks at smallcr.com (aka DWE)

It worked at 100 yards or thereabouts, so that antenna is a winner when it's vertical and in phase with the xttr's polarity.

I am getting around 5-7 mins total flying time from one charge. Sound about right? That's with the collapsable prop, which I like because I am flying ut of a dirt vacant lot most of the time. I am trying to cut the motor on landing far enough in advance in the glide down to the ground so the prop stops spinning.

Sometimes the plane will just gently drop to the dirt with little or no forward motion. It's a groovy little airplane, for sure!

-hf
Old 08-25-2003, 09:36 PM
Mike Taylor

5 to 7 minutes is OK if you're using the 145 LiPoly. I think I got a little more time on the smaller cell, but a lot of that was indoors in a warehouse, and most of the flying was cruising at mid-throttle. Outdoors, there is a lot more zooming around involved. I guess I need to finish up a thrust measuring device to see what the floder actually puts out.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:26 PM
Hanger-Flyer

Default "Lil' Skeeter" sub-micro first flight report!

Success. After about a four hour build last night, the little guy just flew like a bandit! I will probably put the standard prop on the plane (using the folding prop now) and trim up some of the drag inducing wiring, but it's a flyer!

Such a delicate little plane may not last very long in the vacant lot where I fly, but it's going to be fun while it lasts.

I did have one crash which snapped the fuselage when I tried to do a loop and the Skeeter went into a terminal spiral. Had it crashed in grass where would probably not be any damage.

The morning breeze was only about 2-5mph so I had a perfect first day for the maiden flight.

Flight duration was around 7 minutes on a 170 mah lithium polymer cell.

Launch required full power, then I cruised around 60% except for when the breeze kicked in.

Landings were dead stick and the plane just settled to the ground.

-

Name:	104826_41897.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	58711  
Old 08-28-2003, 12:14 PM
dhurd

Hanger-Flyer,
You may want to try using the U80 prop. I think you will find that the flight times will go way up. Unfortunately I don't think the folders are very efficient. Glad to hear your having fun. I enjoy the fact that I can fly in my front yard/ street. It's really cool flying at night under the street light. No more having to travel to the flying field. Although I do miss the comradarie sometimes.

Regards,
Old 08-28-2003, 07:41 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahhh, the beloved Micro Taxi (aka Lightning).

You can view my tips here.

Hey Dan! I hope to see you at the NEAT Fair in a few weeks.

Regards.

Name:	105462_36676.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	58712  
Old 08-29-2003, 01:41 PM
dhurd

Greg,
Yep. Gonna be there with bells on.