Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Aerobird Landing Gear Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 02:02 AM
WildRivers
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerobird Landing Gear Wheels

Hi All...
Has anybody changed the wheels on their Aerobird or clones, to a larger size wheel? I would like suggestions on what type (brand, manufacture, cost etc) of bigger wheels you would recommend. I would like a much larger diameter, at least twice as big in diameter as the original, but still as lightweight as possible obviously. I have been flying gas for years, so the whole "park flyer" thing and it's associated parts, is relatively new to me. The original wheels on the Aerobird just don't hold up that well after time. I do my fair share of hand launching, but I do a LOT of ROG and landings. I have asked this question on the old site, and a few people starting bashing me because I don't stick to hand launching the Aerobird! PLEASE don't email me like others have, and tell me I should stick with hand launchings. I may not be a full 3D acrobatic crazed hotshot pilot, but I'm no beginner either. Hand launching is fine, but I also like to treat it like any other plane. My Aerobird has always flown perfect, STILL flies perfect, and will probably continue to fly perfect if I treat it the proper way, and plain and simple....I like to ROG it. I would prefer to ROG all day, every day, and that is just me, so there is no reason for the bashing I get over this silly little fact. I would just like some ideas, thoughts etc, on possible wheel replacements and/or substitutes for the original Aerobird wheels, from those of you with the true experience in electric RC. Thanks in advance for any help.
Happy Flying & God Bless,
JR
Old 09-11-2003, 11:31 AM
BykrDan

Default RE: Aerobird Landing Gear Wheels

Don't let ANYONE give you greif for wanting to ROG an Aerobird! Getting off the ground is half the fun! Try hand-launching a full size :^)

I know they're out there. I've seen them hanging on the wall at HobbyTown USA, in sizes up to about three inches, and they're all foam, just like the original, but I just can't remember who makes them. I want to say Great Planes, but I can't be sure...
Old 09-12-2003, 12:15 AM
WildRivers

Thank you BykrDan for your input, and for you kind words. I agree...actually getting off the ground if part of the fun. Anybody can handlaunch! Well...almost anybody.....sounds like some people have trouble with even that from some of the posts I have read before. I am planning to check out one of my LHS to see what they have in the way of larger all foam tires. I was just curious if anybody here had any previous experience with it, that's all. Thanks again.
Happy Flying,
JR
Old 09-15-2003, 12:41 PM
Hanger-Flyer

The Du-Bro company makes some useful foam wheels that are very lightweight...1 gram to 2 grams depending in diameter.

I fly out of vacant lots frequently and all my planes have extra large wheels installed. If the wheel hole is too large for the landing gear wire use a piece of nylon control rod guide as a liner so the wheels don't wobble and turn easily when rolling. The foam also acts as an additional buffer on landing or take off impact.

WildRivers

Aerobird Landing Gear Wheels
Contact Moderator | (Post No. 1)
Hi All...
Has anybody changed the wheels on their Aerobird or clones, to a larger size wheel? I would like suggestions on what type (brand, manufacture, cost etc) of bigger wheels you would recommend. I would like a much larger diameter, at least twice as big in diameter as the original, but still as lightweight as possible obviously. I have been flying gas for years, so the whole "park flyer" thing and it's associated parts, is relatively new to me. The original wheels on the Aerobird just don't hold up that well after time. I
Old 09-15-2003, 04:57 PM
flying klown
My Feedback: (24)

Nothing wrong with ROG....with the Aerobiord man...There is a video that shows a Aerobird taking off on grass field at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RCPlaneCrashClub/

But you got to join. Good place to be if you fly Aerobird. I am a memeber and a moderater come join and see
Old 09-16-2003, 01:08 AM
WildRivers

I appreciate the info from everyone. I will look into the Dubro wheels. You think I would remember about Dubro wheels. Been flying off and on for 30+ yrs, but have recently switched to electric, and as everyone knows, there is a big difference between electric and gassers. I made my own 3" spongy foam wheels the other day. They were INCREDIBLE for about 10 take-offs and landings, then the center platic hub finally gave out on a take-off and it pulled out of the wheel, but at least I learned first hand how much better the larger wheels were over stock Aerobird wheels. I may also design and experiment with tricycle gear and see what happens.

On another note, "startsivs", are you associated with the RCU member "Procrastinator"? I know that he was running out of storage room over at his MSN Club "Hobby Zone RC Plane Crash Club", so I started up a Yahoo club to give to him, so he could either mirror his MSN club, or move the contents over. I see in your last post on this thread, that you also mention a Yahoo club based on Procrastinators original MSN club. Did you start this club up or did he? Either way, Since both Yahoo clubs are identical, and both were to serve the same purpose, I am just going to delete the club I started for him on Aug 31st, and let the club your in that was started on Sept. 2, just continue on. It will hopefully grow and expand as we get the word out. Talk to you soon. Have a great day.
Calm Winds & Smooth Flying,
JR
Old 09-16-2003, 09:32 PM
flying klown
My Feedback: (24)

No Wild It is Pro's...But he had to make us al moderators to be able to post and view videos..thats all. ...David