Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

SLOW STICK IS TO SLOW!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 06:51 AM
johncdh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLOW STICK IS TO SLOW!!

I just purchased a slow stick with stock motor and a 7.2V 600mAh GWS battery pack, I cycled the battery on the plane a couple times before giving it a full charge and heading to the end of the street for the first flight. The plane struggled to maintain altitude after a hand launch, even the slightest up elevator and the plane would stop dead and drop. I tried another battery pack that was in my Crazy Max and had the same problem. This morning I charged the GWS pack again and with a full charge I am only getting 2850 RPM at full throttle. Any thoughts from the board?
Old 09-16-2003, 08:06 AM
Arrow>>-->

Default RE: SLOW STICK IS TO SLOW!!

Fist question have to ask is which way is your prop on? Also if it is a Nihm pack I would use a 7 cell (8.4 v) pack. I am using a 7 cell aa 1850 mah pack and the thing has lots of power to loop, roll, fly inverted. One other thing I have noticed on mine if it is tail heavy it is hard to control but if it is nose heavy is does not climb very well. So you might try moving the CG back slightly and see what it does.

By the way lettering on the prop forward. Many people have mistakenly put it on back wards so you would not be the fisrt. I for one have done it and now I just get in the habit of double checking it before I fly.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:45 PM
johncdh

I did have the prop on backwards and it feel as if it might have a little more pull, I will charge up a couple packs and go give it a try, I'll let you know what happens. Do you know what the rpm should be for this motor prop battery combo should be.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:54 PM
Arrow>>-->

Ha, now you are a member of the backwards prop club. You join a club of many .

What Prop are you using? I switched from the 11x8 to a 12 x 6 and like it a little better. Has more thrust using it. They have all the specs on the motor on GWS website showing the diffrent prop combonations. Using the 12X6 and athe 7 cell 1850 aa's It flies great for 20 plus minutes at near full throttle.

Also one other tip with the slow stick and electrics in general. Make sure you take off into the wind if there is any. You would be surprised how much quicker it will jump into the air into a breeze. But judging from your avitar looks like you are an experienced pilot if you fly that plane. Nice looking, what is it by the way.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:56 PM
Arrow>>-->

For every thing you ever wanted to know about the Slow Stick go [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?s=275c833e2def863fd5f2181ed29192ae&threadid=122951]here[/link]
Old 09-16-2003, 04:55 PM
johncdh

That did the trick, thanks for the insight. The plane in my avatar is a tower voyager with a 46, flies like a dream, the slow stick is for my two boys to get some simple stick time and for me to play with at the end of our street.

Thanks again for the help and I will check out the link you sent.

John
Old 09-16-2003, 05:07 PM
Arrow>>-->

Glad to help. I know I would probably no be flying with out the help of some great help on these forums. My son flies my SS as well (much better than I do in fact). You want to try something fun look up some of the bomb drops that people have done on the SS. My son rigged up one to drop a little toy with a parachute that is pretty fun.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:38 AM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

In case you want to upgrade the power plant ...

http://www.megamotorusa.com/videos/SlowStick.htm

check out the vids.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:43 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

"SLOW STICK IS TOO SLOW!!"

Well, when you buy something that has the word slow in its NAME, what do you expect?