Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Multiplex Easy Star

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 01:54 PM
MikeDH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiplex Easy Star

I am brand new to this, having received a Firebird Outlaw for my birthday earlier this month. I am now on my third one (one flew away and on died after hitting a tree), but have finally figured out how much wind is too much to fly in and how to (mostly) avoid the trees.

It's really a blast to fool around with and I am probably already hooked on RC flight. But because the Outlaw is just too small/light to deal with any wind (at least with me at the controls), I have ordered a T-Hawk, which should arrive by Monday. I expect that to do a little bit better in light winds, plus I really want the elevator control.

But I am already thinking of my next plane, and am considering the Multiplex Easy Star for the holidays. It won't be available in the U.S. until later this month, but I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with it in Europe (where it appears to be available, at least in kit form). Also, I am thinking about the RTF version, but then again it may be better to put my own (upgraded) electronics in it and to buy a 4 channel radio for future needs.

Any insight into the Easy Star and whether to go with the kit or RTF would be much appreciated.

Mike H.

PS I am really glad I found this forum -- the advice I have come across here has been invaluable.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:25 PM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Multiplex Easy Star

Mike
Welcome to RCU!!!!
It's good to hear you can already fly, and that you are learning more.
I'm not familiar with the Easy Star, maybe I'll do some research.
Anyway, there's no shortage of great planes out there.

Jason
Old 11-10-2003, 04:26 PM
tegwin

Does anyone have a any new feedback on the multiplex easy star as i am looking at getting one!!!

I am a begginner, but i can sort of fly

help is much apreciated
Old 11-19-2003, 12:57 AM
Mikerjf

The Easy Star is a replacement for the Teddy. I've taught several people to fly with the Teddy (including my niece, she's looping the wings off and doing stall turns and tail slides) and IMHO its the best electric trainer out there and it's not afraid of the wind. The Easy Star is a little swoopier, has a better wing that's two piece and the fuse has been tweaked to eliminate the balncing problems associated with the Teddy (most came out tail heavy, not enough nose to get everything forward. For $188 RTF you can't go wrong. I just talked my local club into buying one for a club trainer that can be left in our field lock box (got a guy and his son that have been flogging the Firebrd/Aerobird to death with no success, figured if we get the Easy Star, next time they show up they'll be able to fly something that actually can.).

Mike
Old 12-15-2003, 10:27 PM
pca

[quote]ORIGINAL: MikeDH

Any insight into the Easy Star and whether to go with the kit or RTF would be much appreciated.

I'm in the UK, and got an Easy Star after the local dealer made me an offer I couldn't refuse. It has the same wing design as the larger twin-engine Moviestar (which I also have), which seems
to be highly efficient at relatively low speeds and practically unstallable. It's very easy to fly, hands off stable, and pretty damned tough. It also glides pretty well. The elapor foam multiplex use
is capable of taking a very solid impact with nothing more to show for it than a small dent, which often slowly pops out by itself. It's not indestructible (I broke my moviestar in half on one
memorable occasion, but it got better), but you'd have to work at it to kill the thing.

The only modification I made to the kit was born from bitter experience, which was to replace the stock 400 motor with a better one (a Jamara 480 BB pro), and replace the gunther prop the kit
includes with an APC 5.5 x 2 eflight prop. The multiplex motor with the gunther prop pulled more current and produced less thrust that any combination I tested a while ago when I was evaluating
power systems for another plane. It will fly like that, but the jamara motor and APC prop will make it fly better for longer.

As a result of the above, I personally would go for the kit, as you can't replace the motor very easily on a prebuilt one because it's glued in place. However, if you are happy to use the stock system
the RTF version may be a good choice, as there is a lot less mucking around with copious quantities of cyano involved.

pca
Old 12-16-2003, 09:17 PM
Chad9703

Check out this thread on the easy star

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=144078
Old 12-18-2003, 11:22 PM
Mikerjf

Available from Tower

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go

Mike
Old 12-19-2003, 02:08 PM
sargentw

How would the Easy Star, performance wise, compare with a Terry Graupner? Can the Easy Star pack up for travel?
Old 12-19-2003, 02:24 PM
Mikerjf

Pretty much the same except the Easy Star's a pusher, no prop to break in front. Wings about 54 inch and it's two pice to pack up.

Mike
Old 12-19-2003, 02:43 PM
sargentw

Thanks Mike. What about the tail feathers? Are they removable? Will it pack up in it's own box?

Thanks,

Tad
Old 12-20-2003, 01:05 AM
Mikerjf

Tails glued on, but with the way it's designed making the tail removeable is a piece of cake. Probably would fit in its box.

Mike