Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Which one? Firebird II ST or Aerobird Challenger

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Which one? Firebird II ST or Aerobird Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 12:11 PM
fd59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one? Firebird II ST or Aerobird Challenger

I am an experienced glow plane pilot, but I have never worked with any electrics or any trainer other than a typical .40 glow trainer. I want to get my 6 yr. old daughter an electric trainer plane for her birthday. Would one of the Firebird/Aerobird planes be sufficient for this? Is so, which one would be better? If not please give suggestions. I am looking at spending approx. $150 max.

Thanks,

Mack
Old 02-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Airborne 2007

Default RE: Which one? Firebird II ST or Aerobird Challenger

for another $30 (less if you find it in the right place, maybe under 150) you might be able to get the Aerobird Extreme coming out. It has a 4.5 ft wing span and a 540 motor.

-John
Old 02-12-2004, 07:15 PM
fd59

Her birthday is March 8th. I have norrowed it down to the Commander, or Aerobird Challenger. I am leaning towards the Commander because of the Smart-Trakâ„¢ Technology, but like the idea of added evelator control with the Challenger. I just can't seem to make up my mind which one would be better her.[sm=confused.gif]
Old 02-12-2004, 07:55 PM
EvolPenguin

Get the aerobird challenger. With only two channels, if you get downwind and try to come back, you'll climb. You can't force your nose down. Also, since you are experienced, you can teach her the basics. Many people have learned on an Aerobird without help, so she should do fine.

Al
Old 02-12-2004, 09:41 PM
Airborne 2007

You might also want to look at some of GWS's models (either the Tiger Moth or Slow stick). Then once she gets better, you can just move the gear into another plane. I have an AB and it's great, but now Im ready for something with ailerons an being 15 i dont have the money to waste on another plane plus all the gear. Just something you might want to think about.

-John
Old 02-12-2004, 10:21 PM
EvolPenguin

What he said is true. You probably should get one of those. But if you want to know if you are going to be interested in this hobby, then it is not bad to get an aerobird. It seems half luck though. Some of those planes have bad circuitry and some have good circuits. It's better to get a slowstick from www.horizonhobby.com search for GWS02 that is a perfect setup for begginers. Otherwise, go for an Aerobird.

Al
Old 02-13-2004, 02:40 AM
foreverNight

aerobird all the way. trust me. you will probably end up flying it more than your little girl!
Old 02-14-2004, 12:44 PM
Rob_The_Voice

Aerobird every time. Three channels by FAR worth the extra money and the transmitter has a training mode which only uses one flaperon at a time for gentle turns for beginners. Plus if you get another later you can get two sonic modules and shoot each other down! How much fun is that?!
Old 02-14-2004, 12:47 PM
Rob_The_Voice

When and where have you seen this new Aerobird? Sounds great!
Old 02-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Rob_The_Voice

actually having said that, maybe 6 is a little young for an elevator. But hey, you know your daughter!
Old 02-14-2004, 04:16 PM
Airborne 2007

http://www.hobbyzonesports.com/Produ...ductID=HBZ6500

Aerobird Extreme site

-John
Old 02-14-2004, 10:20 PM
nu2rc

I learned on a Firebird and have moved to the Slow Stick. Here's my observations.
1. The Hobbyzone planes are great fliers, unbelievably tough, and yeild long flight times.
2. The directional control on the transmitter, is oppsite on the Hobbie zone vs. traditonal rudder. This really messed me up and $9 of props.
3. After mastering the 2 channel firebird it got somewhat boring.
4. Regarding props. A pusher config will be better to start with as they are not as suseptable to prop damage.
Given the choice of the Firebird or the Aerobird. I would say Aerobird hands down. It is heavier and with elevation control this will make it better for the wind. You can always set the elevator on the Aerobird to fly like the Firebird and use down stick to fly into the wind.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:46 PM
lift off

I am a new-b but I can tell you one thing, I hear that the firebird series of planes is great and it probebly is, BUT WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT gET A FIREBIRD OUTLAW. I BLEW $100 ON 2 CRAPPY FIREBIRD OUTLAWS, THEY HAVE A REALY BAD DESIGN WHERE THE CROSSBAR MEETS. It is said that the firebird outlaw is geared towards beginers, but tell me why the two firebird outlaws I bought both broke on the first day.

In conclusion to all that read this do not get the firebird outlaw unless you know that it wont hit the ground hard. In other words make sure you have some experince before you fly it.

Matt
Old 02-15-2004, 11:20 PM
nu2rc

I was referring to the Firebird II st with the smart trak system. Sorry I didn't specify earlier.