Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

GWS Slow Stick or Aerobird Xtreme

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum
View Poll Results: A poll
GWS Slow Stick
74.34%
Aerobird Xtreme
21.05%
Other (please state)
4.61%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

GWS Slow Stick or Aerobird Xtreme

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 07:36 PM
Ducman69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Slow Stick or Aerobird Xtreme

I have narrowed down my purchase to two planes:
GWS Slow Stick vs Aerobird Xtreme
http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...p?prod=GWS1040 vs http://www.hobbyzonesports.com/Produ...ductID=HBZ6500 (except using a 6-cell 7.2V 3000mAh Ni-MH battery)
vs

RC Experience = None
Flight experience = low/moderate (not much flight time but plenty of simulator and understand the physics involved)
Building experience: *Extremely* lazy person (I pay a maid to clean my house), but definitely mechanically inclined.

Goals:
Learn to fly RC, basic aerial photography, and teach a few friends to share the experience with (for aerial combat eventually). Wish to only purchase two identical planes to accomplish this, and no plans to get in deeper (too many hobbies already to go hardcore on this). Is this realistic, or is the learning curve so steep that friends would just crash my 'extra' plane?

My thoughts:
GWS Slow Stick only due to the overwhelming popularity. Doesn't look too hot, but that many happy customers can't be wrong. The standard gear is a great deal for someone wanting to reuse the parts later, but I have no plans to purchase more planes. I'm not too keen on spending the time to build two, and from videos they appear to fly too slow to handle any wind (for when I'm better). Not sure if they can fly combat (with ribbons). Most say it can carry a LOT of weight and are stable, so I could rig up a pen-cam. The bare plane itself is inexpensive and reports indicate durable. People also seem to have great success/joy in modding these out.

Aerobird Xtreme (big new one that comes out March 15th supposedly) I appreciated mainly due to cost and features. Save a couple hundred bucks buying a pair (if you consider the total package cost), seems to have enough weight and power to handle low winds later on, looks a little better, doesn't require me to do anything other than put the wing on and snap the landing gear in (from what I've read), and has some fun modules to keep me entertained such as the aerial combat sonic modules (fills the future combat goal and looks really fun) and drop modules (parachute/bomb). Hoping to rig the X-module to a small pen-camera. The n00b mode where it moves only one control surface at a time is also a neat feature.

If it isn't obvious, I was pretty much set on the Aerobird Xtreme UNTIL visiting forums. The Aerobird Challenger (little brother) doesn't seem to get too much respect and some seem to argue is almost a waste of money (non-standard parts, non-responsive V-tail wing, crappy radio), whereas the GWS Slow Stick is all the rage in almost every n00b-thread I read.

Question:
Can someone just throw out a couple convincing arguments as to why the Slow Stick is the better way for ME to go? =) Or might the Xtreme version of the Aerobird series be ok considering what I want to do (sure has a lot of bells/whistles)? Its a lot of money either way, so I really appreciate any/all input. I know the Xtreme is new, but for argument we can assume its a slightly improved [link=http://www.hobbyzonesports.com/ProdInfo/Gallery/hbz6500-05-450.jpg]larger[/link] Aerobird Challenger. And let me know if my goals are just plain naive too!!!
Old 03-01-2004, 07:59 PM
Dopesick

Default RE: GWS Slow Stick or Aerobird Xtreme

Lot of money? I built my first Slowstick for $100 flat. Plane, flight pack, and transmitter. Simple to build, lots of mods to enhance flight and lifespan, easy controls.. Not as "simple" as people think.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:06 PM
Ducman69

$100?! Wow! Thats not bad at all.

Well, I'm here to learn, so keep it coming. Mainly I think it was the battery pack/charger/transmitter combos for the SS that I was looking at. Technically, thats not really even fair since the Aerobird comes with an inexpensive trans. Apples/oranges.

If you were going to build two more Slow Sticks for training and eventually aerial combat, what kind of setup would you get? This could really make a big difference in the cost/benefit ratio!
Old 03-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Dopesick

Ahh well, the charger and pack for the SS, if you want to total it up for JUST that plane, was $180. I use Li-po packs in all 3 of my planes, and I use a Great Planes Triton charger.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:38 PM
slgilley

Here's one big difference between the Slow Stick and the Aerobird line -- the Slow Stick uses a rod from the servos to the control surfaces, the Aerobird uses a fishing line coupled with a rubber band. The rod makes the surfaces *much* more responsive.

As much as I enjoy my Aerobird, I think the Slow Stick is a better deal.

Sean.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Andrey M.

Try the Sky Scooter Pro 2 from Hitec. Plane, motor, battery, transmitter, reciever, servos, ESC, charger - $160! And it has ailerons!!!
Old 03-02-2004, 03:11 PM
LTSharpe

Seems like you're comparing apples and oranges. From what I know about these two, the slow stick is a slow flyer and the aerobird is for aerobatics and dogfighting. Which would you rather do? Fly slower which allows flying in smaller places but having to contend with only flying on calm days or fly fast and do aerobatics and dog fighting. For a beginner which I am by the way I have a firebird II and can't say enough good things about it. I've read a lot of people can learn just fine though on the aerobird and then get fancier with it as they get more experienced. You don't have to build the aerobird either, plus it comes with everything you need. That's just about the most important thing for me when looking at these planes,, I don't want to have to build it, and I can't understand how they can sell a plane without any servos etc I know some outfits sell complete kits but you know with the aerobird and other hobbyzone planes that they WILL come with everything you need.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:05 PM
Dopesick

Uhmm, You havent seen a modified Slowstick then have you? Slowsticks are completely capable of aerobatics (To an extent) and are willing dogfighters... In reference lookup Slowstick Combat on this board via the search function, if I run across the video links I will post them.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:59 PM
EvolPenguin

Well, the slow stick is the best begginer plane I've seen, but if you want to get into combat, the aerobird xtreme is nice because of the x-port. If you ever want to get into flying past these planes, go with the slow stick. Most of the equipment can be transferred to another plane, like the transmitter etc. If you just want some fun with two planes and some combat, but don't want to progress in flying other planes, go with the aerobird. It's up to what you want to do. Of course, you can do traditional combat with a slow stick. Traditional combat is where you tie a streamer onto your plane and the other person has to cut it off with their propeller. That's how combat was originally done. There is a site somewhere that you can use hobby zone's combat module on other planes, and the slow stick can carry alot of weight. it's your decision, because YOU have to know what you want to do. noone else can tell you unless you tell them details to the extreme.

Al
Old 03-02-2004, 11:42 PM
RPM1
My Feedback: (2)

I bought my kid one of the aerobirds to lean to fly, was not very successful. I then bought him a SS and he has taken to it rather well. The one great thing about the SS is it takes standard R/C parts. If the aerobird crashes your done, at least you could recycle the electronics in the SS. You can outfit the SS with a good 2s2p lipo and fly for about an hour, do that with an aerobird. There is nothing like a lazy afternoon flying the SS when my kid is in school.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Nitroaddict

Here is why I like my slow stick:

This was my first airplane, and I have no one to teach me to fly. I already knew basic principals, so I figured I would only need to get familar with the controls. Bone stock, and 20 crashes later, I was able to fly without my heart trying to jump out of my throat. The plane would fly so slow that sometimes I thought it was hovering. Once I became adept at flying, I clipped the wings, added an 8 cell battery, and dropped a ratio on the gearbox. Whoohoo, now it has become a fast, aerobatic trainer. Total cost: 40.00

Basically, the SS is a tank when it comes to durability, is a great trainer which is large enough to see high in the air, can easily be modified for more thrilling flight, and utilizes industry standard radio equipment.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:08 AM
Ducman69

I bought my kid one of the aerobirds to lean to fly, was not very successful.
Was it just too FAST of a bird? Or unusual handling? What was the main problem if you recall? BTW, was that the Challenger or the older Aerobird original one with the small single control surfaces?

To make matters worse, rumor is they will be selling JUST the Aerobird Xtreme shell too. So you could put your own "junk" in it. Course if I got the Aerobird, the main attraction is that its already put together with known good components so I probably wouldn't go that route regardless.

Looks like the Slow Stick is the hands down winner, so I'll have to start reading about designing a configuration that meets my goals (probably want a heavier one with a larger motor so that it doesn't get blown around as much once I learn to fly and can do traditional combat a bit better).
Old 03-03-2004, 12:01 PM
jed1d
My Feedback: (3)

Wow, I am flying a Slow Stick and love it. Three of us fly
SS close to one of the guy's house. We fly by a oil well
in the middle of a plowed field. We have loaded the SS with
cameras and big batteries and it sitll flys great. I use NiH
batteries and fly for 38 minutes. One guy flys for an hour.
We are starting to placing brushless on them. That should
be illegal. One guy flies inverted, ooutside loop, flys in
big winds. I have more planes, but I love to fly the SS.
Joe
Old 03-03-2004, 01:16 PM
RPM1
My Feedback: (2)

[/quote] Was it just too FAST of a bird? Or unusual handling? What was the main problem if you recall? [/quote]

It was one of the firebird II's. He had a difficult time attempting to master level flight with the throttle stick. Also the control surfaces would move a lot on the entry into a turn and then back off. He struggled with it on every flight (he is eight). He never crashed it and I was able to get it down safe but I think it does not fly like it should. I still have it it has a little rash on one wingtip and I cannot find the charger (I used my peak charger) if anyone wants to buy it. I'll let it go for about $25.00.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:28 PM
golferjon

I would recemmend the aerobird challenger it is a great stury plane. It is small enough to fly in confinded areas but big enough for some serious maunuvers. The aerobird can take a beating so your friends won't kill it! The Slow Stick looks easy to fly but if you hit a tree it is just an expensive paper weight.

Good luck, Jon
Old 03-03-2004, 07:52 PM
Airborne 2007

I have an Aerobird that I got for my first plane. I have it strengthed up a lot and it flies great with the settings i have. HOWEVER, I'm now ready to move on to an aileron plane, and being 15, I dont have the money to waste on another radio system, plane, and batteries and charger. So, pretty much, get the slow stick. I hear they are great planes, so you shouldn't be disappointed in it. If you ever want a hobbyzone bird for combat later on, take a look at the Aerobird Challenger. It's $30 cheaper, and you can get it at $150 or cheaper some places. The main difference between the ABC and the Xtreme is that the Xtreme is a little bigger in size, and has a little bigger motor. But that's just what i think. Hope this helps.

-John
Old 03-03-2004, 08:20 PM
stevennh

With the challenger you can get a new wing for $15.00 a new tail for $7.00 and an entire new fusulage with servos and reciever for $49.00. It can take a heck of a beating before you have to replace anything. The Aerobird has been great first plane for me. I have been beating it up for over a year and have put two wings and a tail on it so far (not too bad considering my learing curve has involved several trees and spiral dives into the ground). I currently have an on-board video system on it (did my first RPV flight last weekend). The Extreme looks like a larger version of the challenger (bigger motor and batteries as well), so I expect the replacment parts will cost a bit more. Sounds like the Slow Stick is a great choice if you want to have standard parts to move around to other planes.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:47 PM
crashawk

You will want to try something different after you have been flying either one for a while. this stuff is just too adicting
go with the ss. when you are ready for the faster and more aerobatic bird build one out of cheap foam or balsa and reuse the ss equipment. also if you intend to use the charger that comes with the challenger be prepared to replace batteries, unless they have gone to a peak charger the kit charger just goes and goes, you have to remember to unplug it at the right time. I've seen them overcharge lots of batts ruining them. here are a couple of other planes you can build with the equipment from the ss.
the clear ones are covered with saran wrap.

Jason
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92685.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	107511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28530.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	107512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12884.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	107513  
Old 03-03-2004, 09:25 PM
stevennh

Mine came with a peak charger last year (Aerobird). I have been using the same 7-cell for almost a year with many flights (picked up with the x-pack). I leave them hooked up until I use them. I have not lost a battery or charger yet.

Steve
Old 03-03-2004, 10:06 PM
crashawk

that's a plus, the old charger was really good at ruining batteries. are they using anything that resembles servos in them now? I've tried to reuse the reciever boards from the older aerobirds and haven't had much luck, they seem to like to lose parts when you remove them from the original plane and you are stuck using pull only control set ups.
I don't remember costs of the aerobird but slow stick or pico stick are both about 35 dollars, you can get a hitec 3 channel with hs55 servos for 85 and a cheap speed control can be had for 20 or 25. a couple of 20 dollar batteries and a 45 dollar charger and you have a complete set up. about 200 dollars total and everything but the broken parts can be reused for the next plane and the next and the next. (I can build my saran wrap plane for less than 10 bucks and throw the equipment on it) I'm not saying you have to go with the ss but hopefully this will help you decide which one you want.

Name:	Wu61684.jpg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	107531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54670.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	107532  
Old 03-04-2004, 06:48 PM
Airborne 2007

Hey, crashawk. You say that your covering your balsa models with Saran Wrap? How exactly do you do that? Do you glue down the edges and then take a hair dryer and shrink wrap it? I suppose that thats the colored saran wrap and that you didnt paint it right? I have about 3-4 plans out of Fly RC I might want to try building, but covering doesnt sound that great and I've never done it. Thanks.

-John
Old 03-04-2004, 11:02 PM
crashawk

very easy to do john and it looks terrific when you are done. sand your airframe and get decent, no splinters or rough spots you don't have to be perfect. use a glue stick on the perimiter or your frame, across the ribs, etc (uhu is one brand and you can find it in the office supply section) then lay your food wrap across and gently pull all the wrinkles out. don't worry about the glue driing it will give you a chance to lift and reposition your wrap if it is a little dry anyway. after you are happy with where it is gently but firmly rub your finger over all the glue beads, this will cause the glue to grab the wrap. to shrink it use a blow dryer on low speed, high heat or just hold it in front of a small heater that has a fan. it does not take much heat and a lot of high wind may not let it shrink right. I use reynolds premium colored food wrap, it has a handy cutter so you won't have to worry about tearing the wrap. a new blade on your x-acto or a fresh razor blade is best to trim your overlap. it can handle a little handling and to patch all you have to do is lay a piece over the hole and spread it out smooth on top of the old wrap, no glue needed.
tall grass and hard stubble can poke holes in it but I have had no problems.

I can't take credit for the idea, the july 03 issue of rcm has Eut Tileston using it on an electric he calls the food wrap. my food wrap planes so far are loosely based on his plane, but his is much prettier. my next one I plan on making is a edf 50 powered electric jet.
good luck.

Jason

Name:	Mk27323.jpg
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	107910  
Old 03-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Airborne 2007

Hey crashawk. Thanks A LOT!! I just might have to try and build one just for fun.

-John
Old 03-06-2004, 12:07 AM
crashawk

good luck, let us all know how it comes out.

Jason
Old 03-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Ducman69

I've researched more and more into both of these planes, and I don't think I can go wrong either way considering what I want to do.

While the Xtreme boasts several improvements upon the Challenger and would likely be more fun to fly than the Slow Stick once I got better (since its cruising at over twice the speed due to the 540motor and 3000mAh Ni-MH, with the extra size&weight making small breezes less noticable, and extra linked modules such as the Sonic Combat and drop modules) BUT the Xtreme is going to take up a LOT of space to fly and the high speed is just going to make learning and landings much more difficult for me (and probably less enjoyable).

Besides, the votes are overwhelmingly leaning towards the Slow Stick, which I can tweak out to my specific needs/wants and use standard equipment in case you guys are right and I get sucked in and need more planes.

There must be a dozen up-to-date threads here, so if you all have come across any good ones regarding Slow Stick setups, that would really help me out to post a link. I'll need the whole deal from transmitter to charger to plane. The Xtreme would run me $189 (price may drop a little when its been out for a bit) all included, but for the Slow Stick I wouldn't mind spending about $300. I'd like to go with a Li-Po for the sake of duration, so if you all know of any setups I can use that would all add up to under $300 but not require upgrades in the future, that'd save me a LOT of research!!! My general use for it is listed up at the first post. This will seal the deal for me. Thanks!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.