Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

"Nippy Black" brushless on Dandy Sport

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

"Nippy Black" brushless on Dandy Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 06:57 AM
Hanger-Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Nippy Black" brushless on Dandy Sport

Too much time on my hands....(I love it when that happens!) -(g) So...I decided to "experiment" a little.

1: Yanked the ailerons from the Dandy Sport wing and cut the back of the wing and added about 3 deg more dihedral for stability.

2: Installed my "Nippy Black" 1208 brushless motor.

3: Added functional air scoops to cool the battery and electronics.

The Sport wing works well with no ailerons as long as there's enough dihedral added to stabilize the plane. It's better in a breeze, but will tip stall if you don't pay attention. (but it did that -with- the ailerons, too)

The Nippy motor is just great. Only a half ounce heavier than the stock GWS motor and much more efficient. The plane leaves the ground in about five feet. The battery was moved back to compensate for the changed center of gravity.

The scoops are made out of plastic spoons. I used one outlet on the top of the fuse and one on the bottom. (using the outlet size twice the size as the inlet rule)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33839.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	106981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86338.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	106982  
Old 03-02-2004, 11:07 AM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: "Nippy Black" brushless on Dandy Sport

hmmmm....... The sport wing shouldn't tip stall at all. Did you check for any slight warps in the wing? That's the only thing I can think of that would cause a tip stall.

Glad you like the brushless motor.

Jason
Old 03-02-2004, 05:11 PM
Hanger-Flyer

Yep sure did check the wing for warp. It was fine...in fact I took care of that when I first built the wing. Maybe "tip stall" is the wrong term. I do notice the plane will nose downward abruptly and turn slightly as it noses down...the recovers after about 10-12 feet.

I just keep the speed up to prevent this. Possibly...the plane is just responding to loss of lift if the nose gets too low at very low landing speeds.

I'm not going to fret about this too much...I may just get another regular Dandy wing or wait and see if the new Mountain Models foam wings can be bought separately.

By the way...the red colored wing is not very visible...I was surprised how easily I lost perspective when the plane is up in the air. The "clear" regular Dandy wing with black patches shows up much better.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:43 PM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

hmmm.... That sounds a bit more like a normal stall with an unbalanced plane, nothing to worry about. A tip stall is where the plane abruptly rolls to one side and goes into a spin.

My experiences with red and clear have been hit and miss for visibility. Most of my smaller planes now have white on top of the wing and red on bottom, this provides excellent visibility.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:29 PM
Matthew Binder

You may have to move the CG ever so slightly forward, try 1/8th of an inch.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:20 PM
Hanger-Flyer

Matthew:

I've been holding the plane right at the vertical wing spar and noting if the nose drops slightly. I assume that's the proper spot with the Sport wing. When power is cut, the nose drops slightly and the plane enters a shallow glide to the ground.

There's plenty of room in the fuselage to slide the battery fore and aft to adjust CG

ORIGINAL: Matthew Binder

You may have to move the CG ever so slightly forward, try 1/8th of an inch.
On another topic: Others on another forum (E-Zone) are asking Doug if the new foam wings will fit on the old Dandy fuselage. It would be fun to put the longer Dandy/SmoothE type wing on the old Dandy fuselage and see how it flies.

Lots of chatter about hybrid foam/balsa mix on the the SmoothE and other pending planes from Mountain Models. Will be fun to see how it shakes out in the market place.

I've even put a Graupner Mini Piper wing on my Dandy fuselage. If flew pretty well...and was very good in a stout breeze. But of course it was lots faster, too, since the Piper wing is so much smaller. Landings were almost speedy enough to smoke the foam tires. (he-he)

I've got a picture of that Piper/Dandy get-up on this message board somewhere. You could do a "hanger-flyer" search if you are curious what it looked like.