Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

In need some help with my Yard Bee

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

In need some help with my Yard Bee

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 10:45 PM
Jaime_Arenas
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In need some help with my Yard Bee

I just tried to fly my Yard Bee and it was very disappointing. I'm using the stock motor (280 w/ 2.5:1 gear box) and prop. The plane weighs 12.0 oz with an 800 mAh 6 cell pack. I tried to ROG and I managed to get off the ground, but it would simply not build up enough speed to stay in the air. I tried hand lauching and this time it managed to get a little further, but again just not enough power to stay in the air. Will I have to throw out the stock motor and use something else? If so what set up works on this plane. Does anyone know how many amps the stocke set up ahould be pulling?

Thanks,
Jaime.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:36 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: In need some help with my Yard Bee

I bought one of these during the fourth of july sale...
Haven't had a chance to fly it yet, but I have been reading around about other people's experiences..
On rcgroups, you'll find many hits for yard bee if you do a search, including many about putting better motors in it. The gws 300 one guy did looked cool with fake plastic supercharger and headers..

I noticed on the gearbox/motor that came with the bee there seems to be alot of lash or friction or something-not smooth, so I think before I try to use it i'll see if those adjustment screws can make any difference. Maybe yours is sorta binding like mine?
Old 07-19-2004, 09:37 PM
DEF

Jamie
12 ounces sounds good for weight. Have you broken in the motor? My motor sounded a little rough out of the box. Might want to check
the charge on your battery. I haven't flown mine yet. Waiting for servos. Let me know how things turn out.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:37 PM
DEF

There has also been some discution about balance. 3.25 may be too far back.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:12 PM
Jaime_Arenas
My Feedback: (4)

DEF/ Mclintock

I don't thick that the issue was balance related. I would expect that is the CG was too far back the plane would had porpoised and flown poorly, but the issue was simply not enough power to sustain flight. One thing that I skipped was braking-in the motor, I think that I'll pull the motor out and do a proper brake-in. Also, now that I have some time I'll check to see how much current the motor is actually drawing and I'll take some time to fully check out the battery pack. I'll also check out the gearbox and make sure that it's not too tight.

I'll keep posted on my progress.

Thanks,
Jaime.