Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Ultrafly PC-9

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 09:04 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Ultrafly PC-9

Adam G
No I havn't I consider it, I fell it would spoil the lines and increase the weight too much, in fact I am in the process of putting retracts on my Seagull PC9 to clean it up, this should also reduce the parastitic drag and possibly make it faster, if you fly off hard pave with the Ultrafly then some kind of protection underneath may be advantagous, try putting wing skinning cloth on the bottom of the fus with foam safe cyno or polyurathan, or even a tape of some kind, but be carfull of increasing the weight too much, this aircraft gets its performance due to lack of weight.
Mike
Old 11-30-2005, 03:49 PM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maidened the PC-9 today. This is only my 3rd plane, and my first low wing, so I was a little nervous. It went really well. I didn't try anything fancy. Just got it up in the air and did a couple of loops. Other than that just tried to keep it in close. Landings went real well. Just flared at the end and set it down on its belly nice and soft.

Bald Eagle,

My speed control kept kicking out. It seems the motor is bringing the voltage down to the 7 volt range over 2/3 throttle and kicking off the speed control. This happen to you at all with your AXI? I don't want to set the voltage any lower on the speed control shut off and risk damaging my 3 cell Lipo.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:57 AM
BaldEagel

Adam
What controller are you using, if your motor is pulling the voltage down to 7v at 2/3 throttle there is something wrong, how did you establish the 7v value?
I will put my motor and speed controller on my analyser and report back.
Mike
Old 12-01-2005, 10:55 AM
BaldEagel

Adam
I'm pulling 11amps at full power the voltage drops to 9volts after initial surge, but never gets below 8 volts, at 3/4 power the volts never gets below 9volts, my controller has no settings other than the standard voltage cut off that the dedicated Li- Po controller has, which accoding to the blurb that came with it is 7.6 volts which I have never reached.

You are using a 3S 1P arn't you, if you are check that one of the cells is not blown, look carefully at the side of the cells and see if one has expanded, difficult to do unless you break open the pack, if you do be very mindfull of the connections not shorting out. You can re pack with shrink rap or some kind of insulting tape. Doddgy if you do not know what you are doing.
Mike
Old 12-01-2005, 06:43 PM
Adam G

Mike,
I have a Castle Creations 35 amp speed control. I have the voltage cut off set at 7.2 volts, and it still cuts out. I figure it has to be pulling the voltage down to the 7 volt range. I have borrowed an analyzer, and am going to try and figure out what is going on. I am going to try a few different props. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks for the info.

Adam
Old 12-02-2005, 08:36 AM
Adam G

My main problem was my prop. At the suggestion of a very knowledgable guy at my LHS, I put a 10x4.7 prop on to start with. He said that a lot of guys were having good results with the small AXI and the larger props. It had a tremendous amount of torque, but not a lot of speed. The motor analyzer showed that it was pulling a lot of amps, and after 2/3 throttle for a while, it was slowly bringing the voltage of the battery down below 7.2 volts. It is just sucking too much power too fast out of the battery.

I then put a 8x6 on it and got much better results. After burning off some mah I found that the voltage at 3/4 throttle was creeping down to that 8 volt and below range if you held it at that high of a rate for a while. However, I don't think I would keep the throttle that hot for long periods in the air. I flew it with the 8x6 and it was much faster, but not as much power. I could hear the motor slow down as I was giving pretty hard up elevator. It is obvious that the 8x6 is the way to go. I may experiment a little more and see if there is prop in between that will give me a little more torque without sacrificing so much speed, and so much voltage.

I have about 4 flights in on the plane now, and I am really happy with the plane and motor combination. I love not having a gear box. The plane is so quiet you can hear the hum of the air over the wings as it goes by.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:07 AM
nrichardz

Hey Mike I am glad you let me know to move to this thread I havent heard from you in a while what did you think of the pictures of the birds I sent you on the other thread I am going to put some pictures of my pc-9 on this reply maybe it will help a little here is my setup park 370 outrunner castle creations phoenix 10 kokam 1500mah 3 cell lipo 9x6 apc prop pulling between 12 to 13 amps at full throttle plane flies absouletley beautiful I get flights of 20 to 25 minutes with this setup and more power than I can ever use and it flies in wind I have flown it in 15 to 20 mph at times and is still stable it has to be one of my favorite and best flying airplanes let me know what you guys think of it I opted for the reno racer look hope you like it and hope to hear back from you soon mike have you been flying I have gone the last couple of weekends in between the snow storms

Rick

Adam here are some pictures of my mod for the outrunner I just put a 1/16 ply plate on the front of the stick mount and 2 CF rods for support

will post pictures right behind this thread
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78635.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	363579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39964.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	363580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20555.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	363581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53603.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	363582  
Old 12-02-2005, 09:52 PM
nrichardz

Hey Mike

Had to post this for you because we had so much fun with the last thread sorry it is a little off topic guys but this is my latest build GWS Spitfire with Himaxx 2808 0980 Outrunner Thunder Power 1320 3 cell lipo and Jeti 12 Amp Speed Control and 10x7 APC prop plane flies great

Rick

Mike send me your email address so I can get a hold of you more often mine is [email protected]

Name:	Xv63802.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	363911   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45306.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	363912  
Old 12-03-2005, 06:12 AM
BaldEagel

Adam
I'm using a Graupner folding 9x6 with the AXI 22012/20 as you know without any problems, I use the Jeti 18amp controller and my results are not that much different to yours except for the volts don't drop so much, try the Graupner prop its much more effecient, this may help.
Mike
Old 12-03-2005, 06:15 AM
BaldEagel

Rick
Glad to see you got your motor mounted OK as suggested, why did you go for the Park 370? I do not know the spec for this motor whats the Kv, max amp and max efficient amps for it?
Mike

Have another thread running at the moment "Retractable undercarridge installation in a RTF" detailing how I am going to install retracts in a Seagull PC9 which may interest you and others, may see you there.
Mike
Old 12-03-2005, 06:33 AM
BaldEagel

Rick
Glad you are enjoying the PC9 its a wonderfull ship, good to see your other ships, will at some time take pics of my twenty plus and post, but its too cold to get them all out at the moment, wheather looks as if its improving and will fly this weekend.
Mike
Old 12-03-2005, 07:45 AM
nrichardz

Mike it is good to hear from you and I did get your email address so you will probably here from you more often now here is the info on that park 370 motor

kv 1360
max amps 13
efficient amps 9

mike when I first set this plane up I thought this motor may be a little small but boy was I wrong it packs a big punch for my pc-9 I fly it most of the time at only 1/2 throttle and it only weighs 45 grams (1.6 oz

I am going to try and fly tomorrow weather permitting (setting up the spitfire and my mini funtana with skis)

Rick
Old 12-03-2005, 10:08 AM
BaldEagel

Rick
Not a lot of difference the AXI 2212/20 is:
Kva 1290
Max amps 16
efficiency range 6 -12
Max efficiency 9
On 10 cells which is 12v initially so we can draw a parrallel with a 3S1P the recommended prop is a 8.5x5, as you know I use a 9x6 Cam folder and only pull 11amps I can only put this down to the efficiency of the prop, flight times are sufficient to get bored not that its a boring plane but the need to fly something different takes over.
Mike
Old 12-03-2005, 10:09 AM
nrichardz

Hey mike which forum are you in I am trying to find a good set of plans for a 3D foamie maybe you know where I can look I sometimes fly my pc-9 with an 8x6 apc prop makes it a lot faster but not as much torque for aerobatics I thought about going to a folding prop but I never break props so I have not changed yet
Old 12-03-2005, 10:27 AM
BaldEagel

Rick
if your not breaking props your not trying, only joking I design my own foamies so I do not tend to look for sites with free plans, see my latest a Yak base, reason for such a large fus is to get good knife edge and control line type turns with the rudder great fun.
Mike

Name:	Ay75714.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	364153  
Old 12-03-2005, 10:32 AM
nrichardz

Mike how much for a set of plans from you
Old 12-03-2005, 10:39 AM
BaldEagel

Rick
I will see what I can post on this site, I don't need payment, its too easy basic dims may be poss without plans, I will work something out maybe by e-mail.
Mike
Old 12-03-2005, 10:40 AM
BaldEagel

Rick
Don't you have a tribute, if so you can take basic dims from that or any other ship you may have.
Mike
Old 12-03-2005, 10:41 AM
nrichardz

Thanks Mike will be waiting
Old 12-03-2005, 10:46 AM
nrichardz

yeah I still have the tribute had some problems with it though had a bad radio glitch problem and had to go completely through it and finally had to put a new motor in it and the problem went away had a himaxx out runner in it and went to a himaxx inrunner with a 6.6.1 gear ratio and it now seems to be o.k. no glitching but the tail seems to have a lot of flex in it but dont know how to get rid of it without adding weight

Rick
Old 12-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Adam G

Did a few more runs with the PC-9 and was still having problems with it cutting out under high throttle. Turns out my Kokam 1500 3 cell only has a 8c discharge rate. I picked up a couple of Tp 2100's with a 15c constant, and 20c burst discharge rate. After testing the motor with the new battery, I am pulling 200 watts at WOT. At 18.5 ounces, that is about 180 watts per pound! The plane ran so fast with the 8x6 prop, that I blew the canopy off. Should have listened to you Mike, and pinned the conopy on. I was unable to find my canopy in the snowy field. Have another one on order. What a difference a good battery makes. The things takes off straight up in the air with full throttle and a 8x6 prop.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:13 AM
nrichardz

adam try a 9x6 or 10x7 on your plane it may work a little better for you I fly mine with a 9x6 APC slowflyer prop and it is great and I only have a park 370 outrunner in it

Rick
Old 12-04-2005, 08:46 PM
Adam G

I am actually thinking of going back to the 10x4.7. There is so much speed with the 8x6 that i am not sure that I really need it. I am thinking the added torque along with the reduced speed might be cool for more 3D type flight. I figured as long as I was paying the outrageous shipping rate of $7.99, I might as well order a spare wing as well as a new canopy. I am sure that I will need it sooner or later. So even though I have only 8 flights on the PC-9, I am already looking for my next ARF. I know that I will go brushless right away. What do you think Baldeagel, nrichardz, and others. What would be a good next plane for a fellow wh?o is doing well with the PC-9?
Old 12-05-2005, 05:15 AM
BaldEagel

Adam
You could look at the F16 or the SU27 in the same range, difference being the lack of prop wash over the control surfaces as these are pusher's.
Instead of going back to a 10x4.7 use the throttle and fly around at half speed for a greater duration, the PC9 is not a 3D plane it needs a bit of speed to perform proply, glad to see you sorted the problem, have to admitt I have not come across a discharge rate as low as that before, a good battery is worth its weight in gold, I use Flight Power batteries with the balancer circuit, sold in USA as Duralite I belive.

Rick
Will poss get something on the foam flyer today, see how I get on with my retracts in the Seagull PC(>
Mike
Old 12-06-2005, 11:47 PM
nrichardz

Adam My advice is try a 9x6 APC Slowflyer prop I think you will be happy with it I have been flying mine with this prop and it takes a little bit of speed off of the airplane but still performs beautifully a little more torque than the 8x6 I hand launch mine at 1/2 throttle and fly it there most of the time but do open it up on occasion for some aerobatics and it has more power than I can ever use. Baldeagel is right though adam the pc-9 is not a 3D airplane but I increased the throws on mine a little more than the instructions and the aerobatics are great as far as your next plane you now have choices now that you are flying with ailerons other than my PC-9 I have a Mini Funtana by Eflite (Balsa) and a Eflite Tribute if you are looking for a pattern/ 3d Airplane and then I have some GWS Kits I have a Spitfire P 51 and a Formosa I do not know how much flying you have done other than your PC-9 but the warbirds are a little tough I have set all my planes up with Brushless Motors and Lipoly batteries so they are a little easier to fly but at times are still tough I have a computer radio and fly with about 25% expotential to make my planes a little less twitchy on the controls I will look and see if I can find something good to recommend for a next airplane and post it here I am in the middle of a project right now designing and building my own 3D plane I will post some pictures when it is a little further along to see what you think anyway I hope this info helps and if you want to look at my gallery of pictures posted under my profile and you can see what I am flying talk to you soon

Rick

Mike Decided to take the plunge on designing my own plane Fuselage wing and tail are all cut out and am in the process of putting it all together Question mike on yours do you put carbon Fiber Rods in the wings and fuselage I cut the whole thing out of 6mm Depron Let me know what you think I do not want it to flex too much

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.