Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS Warning!!

Old 10-22-2004, 09:19 PM
joetach
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Warning!!

I purchased a GWS 4Ch. receiver to build a Slow Stick for my 6 year old daughter, and channel 3 didn`t work. I then bought 2 GWS servos as well. Guess what?.. They didn`t work properly either! I called customer service, and was told to send them in for repair. AFTER they received it, I received a call saying I needed an RMA form, and a receipt. I explained it was purchased online, and I did not have one, and could GWS please fix it?. Customer Service pretty much said...sorry...unless you get one, we won`t stand behind it!...I tried to tell them it was NEVER used and that it was a PayPal purchase thus no receipt is given to the customer.....but...No good! It`s like the entire GWS corporate structure depended on them spending time to fix it so a little girl "could have a plane like Daddy`s" (not to mention the erratic servos I`m stuck with as well) There are too many other companies to deal with rather than go through this for a receiver that cost them a few bucks to make. It seems GWS would rather lose customers than make them!...Well then...So be it! Guys...don`t be taken in. There are LOTS of far better companies, with far better products and CS/Service than GWS. Give Hi-Tech a shot...You`ll be glad you did!
Old 10-23-2004, 07:10 AM
will

Default RE: GWS Warning!!

Perhaps, the ebay seller is a dealer. If so, they can email you a receipt.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:09 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe:
Go over to Ezone, go to the manufacturers forum down near the bottom. Talk to Mr.Lin who is the CEO and owner of GWS. He doesn't like it when his employees give his customers a hard time.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:32 PM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

All my GWS stuff works great.[sm=lol.gif]I'd recommend them to anybody.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:54 AM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Was you using the servos on that same receiver? If so the whole receiver might just be screwed up, try the servos on a good receiver and see if they still dont work good.

Seems weird that both of the servos would be screwed up if you just got them.

FWIW, I think paypal sends you an E-mail receipt when you buy stuff, if you still have it maybe you could print it out and use that.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:53 PM
tigerhobbies

If you log on to your Pay Pal account you can print a copy of your receipt. No manufacturer will provide warranty service without knowing when and where the product was sold.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:41 PM
jameschen0702

Mr. Lin doesnt care.. about the same thing happened to me, I dont have the receipt and I bought my servo and recievers in Taiwan, so they basically told me "no reciept, no game" and when I replied to Mr. Lin on the internet, he just doesnt seem to care what problem I'm trying to tell GWS to help me solve! so much for great customer service.. I have basically lost faith in the GWS company..out of my starter kit..the reciever and 1 of the servos doesnt work.. so much for quality! Shame to see a company of such bad quality that actually originated from my home country.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:16 PM
steve ypsi mi

thats strange between me and 3 other guys we have about 38 servos and 18 of the 4 ch receviers, we haven't had a bad one in the bunch, you said you bought it on line, there is a lot of knock off's coming out of China being sold on E bay, you say chanel 3 doesn't work, a bad speed control will do what you are saying, also if you shouldn't hook up the servos to the tail and ele until they are centered by turning them on once, if they have never been plugged in they will be pulling all the way jerking and stuttering if you hook the ele and air on before pluging them in once so they are centered, Most dealers will take them back if you bought them from them if its in a 30 day period and take care of it, make sure the plug in's to the recevier are plugged in the right direction, all the white go one way and the blacks or browns go another, check and make sure the plugin's into the recevier are in tight also.
of all the electric stuff we bought we had one bad speed control out of about 60 piece's including all the receviers, servos'ESC etc.
I would go thru and replug in every thing , by the way if the radio wasn't on that will also cause the servo's to act eradic, doesn't make sense that you got 3 bad items out of 3
Old 10-25-2004, 11:25 AM
pkrska

Buyer beware. I rarely buy offline because of such things can go wrong. And how do you know if you have a knock-off?

You tried to save a few bucks online just to have it backfire on you. It's like driving around town trying to save $10 off the listed price, and you just wasted $20 in gas!!!!

Get a LHS (local hobby store) and get them to order things for you. They have insurance, they also will stand behind a lot of their products because of experience. If they carry them, they will have more than one and can exchange should there be a problem.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:37 AM
SBR_RV

dont use GWS radio gear, i bought two speed controllers and they both stuffed up.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:49 AM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: pkrska

Get a LHS (local hobby store) and get them to order things for you. They have insurance, they also will stand behind a lot of their products because of experience. If they carry them, they will have more than one and can exchange should there be a problem.
Why not just order it yourself? putting a bandaid over the problem. The real problem is the GWS customer service. Besides, over here at the LHS I frequent, if I were to walk in with a bad ESC or motor I bought I got a feeling they'd say too bad and I'd be outta cash. Buy from Tower, they save your last 2 years worth of invoices so you can just print it out and have proof for date of the sale
Old 10-26-2004, 04:15 PM
bhpd1438

i have not been thrilled with any of my gws products either. between directions that are impossible to understand and what i consider shooty materials, i am done with them as well.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:52 PM
dadzilla-5

I have one gws rx that I really like, its a larger black 6 channel one, but I have not had a lot of luck with the Naro or Pico ones. I have a dickens of a time getting those hooked up correctly so that it all works. Almost no instructions, and I run in JR, so there is even less for that. I just have to try everything and gradually get one piece after the next to work until I can finally use the thing. But the pico is the only one I've found that is light enough for indoor RC and still within my price range. A bit more documentation would be nice.
Zilla
Old 11-01-2004, 12:28 PM
WRX
My Feedback: (1)

I had a GWS servo catch fire mid flight. I had a receipt and e-mailed GWS customer service. The called me within 1/2 hour and faxed me an RMA sheet. I had the receipt and they replaced the servo with the comment "electric motor failure". They were quick and I am completely satisfied with their customer service.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Go-n-up

Name any brand of RC equipment and, just like presidential candidates, 49% of the people will express hate and disgust, 49% will praise and brag, and 2% will be undecided or indifferent.

The 4 fellows and I who regularly fly together have a total of over 2 dozen GWS R4-P receivers (the full range model, not the current R4-P II) and over 4 dozen GWS Pico and Nano servos, plus a few GWS ESCs (we're not too big on GWS ESC's since we prefer Li-Po friendly ESC's). Price and performance of GWS products has been great for us. These things just keep going and going like the Energizer Bunny. We also have at least an equal amount of Hitec stuff.

Getting service, while seldom needed, has been no problem with either GWS or Hitec equipment that was originally purchased from a dealer (yes, we keep our receipts).

I buy a few things off eBay with PayPal, but only if the price is low enough to make up for no warantee. I wouldn't expect any manufacturer to honor a PayPal receipt from an individual-to-individual sale. I buy only if it is cheap and pitch it if it breaks.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:06 PM
Bill G

I am almost totally convinced that someone sent you some bad (used appearing new) stuff. I have never had a problem with GWS electronics. There are these bad luck flukes, however, like my experiences with micro joule servos, while I was told that other people were satisfied. In the big picture, however, I wouldn't condemn GWS, as I would not stand by an individual seller either. My theory is that their receivers and servos are so inexpensive that I would not be too upset if one failed. On that note, why woud you try to potentially save pennies from some not-name seller?
Old 01-02-2005, 11:59 PM
Epoxy Cup

Joe

Sorry to hear of your experiance. This sort of thing makes it really tough for people when you buy somthing on the net with no recipt. Unfortunatly you pay the price for a lot of unscrupelouse people who companys like GWS have to be careful of. Whenever you buy electronics, particularly electronics, get a recipt, send in warrentys, whatever it takes. Having worked in electronics I kind of found the rule of thumd was if something was bad it failed immediately or showed defective very early in it.s life cycle.
That being said it does not help you out, but I think your expectattions of GWS are a little high, and I say that because I really doubt you would have a much of a differant reponse given the same circumstances from Futaba, Hightec, JR, Airtronics or any other RC electronics manufacturer.
I have no doubt about the truth of what your sayng. As much as I love my GWS planes, and the low cost of their products, I have had a channel in one reciever fail, and one servo fail. Considering I have a lot of other RC equipment, some much older, this is a rather high failure rate. So I agree GWS needs to QC their radio control equipment at a higher level, at least until they get their manufacturing and engineering standards up to where they can produce consitently good product.
As i said I love GWS planes and I think it is really cool Mr. Lin responds to many e-mails personally. GWS has done much to advance the sport of electric RC. I think GWS is listening and improving. However I consitently avoid their servos anymore and will only use the cheap 4ch. recievers in the inexpensive foamies I fly at about 300' range.