Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 05:11 PM
iflyatcae

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

glacier, this is pretty random, but what is your picture of?
Old 11-08-2005, 07:35 PM
ktaylor

Sundance kid,,,

P-38 lightning, look at glacier's gallery,, GG's name will also make more sense when you see it. I always thought he was gender confused or something.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:39 PM
iflyatcae

o. I still dont see how that picture is anything. to me it looks like a baby alligator laying on ice with the paws out to the sides. So its a P-38 huh? Maybe with a few of these pills....
Old 11-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

latest update on the ultralight stuff. i contacted a school in the UK and i just have to do some conversion training and a type rating to add ultralights to my ppl. that's good. next, i need about $45k for a plane and hanger, as this club doesn't have any club planes to rent, everyone ownes their planes. so i'm going to have to be successful selling my software or wait until the stock market crashes again in the UK...need money, wife says stop buying rc stuff...!!
Old 11-08-2005, 07:59 PM
iflyatcae

Kind of a coincedence, but guess what I just heard on the news. Yep, an ultralight crashed on the interstate. Donno what happened yet, the stupid news people dont know yet.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Airbourne in Japan

it's not the kamikazi, he's safely on an island in japan !!
Old 11-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Loubud

GG,
I'm not responding to this "old fart" thing. All my farts are new ya puke.
Hey. Went to the Sepulveda Basin today. Had a Dr. apt out that way and Doggy and I dropped in. This is a lot closer to the airport than I remember. There were a couple of cop cars going in and out of the place and a cop heli off to the side at what seemed to be 400 feet. I suspect to see what altitude the guys were flying at. I saw everything there. Electric. Giant scale, a T-Rex heli like mine, gas heli's that were HUGE, stick planes and arf's and homebuilt's. Not at all crowded today tho it is said weekends are very crouded. There is a whole thread on the Basin. During the week it seems to be a great place to fly as long as you stay under 400 feet. Lots of room, friendly people and it's a public park. Paved runways and all. I'll have to learn how to fly on a field as there are ruless to keep things crash free but I like the place. It's about 45 miles from me but worth the drive.
Wowsers.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Loubud

Sundance,
These things crash all the time, usually pilot error. Sometimes it is because of it being too light. Either way our pal Dougie will have a blast and being a real pilot is one up on the average ultralight pilot. I'll bet he takes me for a ride. I love ultralights.
GG. I didn't see any planes in your hanger.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:12 PM
ktaylor

Doug,

I hope that you find a way to get your ultralight. I'm still waiting until I have things enough in order in my life to do the same thing myself. But I think before I do go up in an ultralight, just in case, I'll take out a bigger life insurance policy on myself, specially since I have Liz and Gabby around now. What kind of regulations does Japan have for homebuilt aircraft? In the states for an ultralight, if you're stupid enough, you don't even have to have any training to fly one, just some big balls and lots of stupidity in your skull. The definitions of an ultralight in the US is: 1. if motorized cannot weigh more than 255 lbs, non motorized cannot exceed 155 lbs. #2 cannot have a stall speed greater than 28 mph #3 cannot maintain a level flight speed of more than 60 mph ( I think that's the number, it's 55 knots, whatever that converts to in mph) # 4 Cannot carry more than 5 gallons of fuel. #5 cannot carry more than one person. ( i know they have two seat ultra lights, but a two seater can only be used for training purposes and actually falls under the category of experimental aircraft) #6 cannot fly after sunset and in certian limited visibilty situations, ( i can't remember the numbers on those) I don't remember if there's anything more besides that or not. I have a feeling that Japan is a little more stringent on it's regulations of ultralights. Anyhow, I really hope you get to realize your wish.

Sundance, If you took a pic of a P-38 from the front and then used a photo editor to do a walleye effect on it, that's what you would end up with. GG am I right?
Old 11-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Loubud

Now now Blisters. We have some cool ultralights that cruise the coast all the time. I wouldn't mind having a couple myself. The weight limit gets some guys in trouble by cutting corners where they shouldn't. With all the new composites out there you could build a pretty good one and there are kits that you can build. I say go Dougie Go.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:56 PM
ktaylor

Lou,

I'm not degrading ultralights, I think they're pretty cool, (except for the ones with fabric wings, I don't wanna fly around in a box kite with a motor) I was just saying that as far as the regulations go if you were stupid enough to want to fly without any training, then in theory you could. (Hazy, hint hint) Otherwise, they're usually safe if they're built with care & flown with caution & common sense. I'll bet that if there was a comparison of numbers of ultra light aifcraft crashes to other privately flown aircraft crashes, the numbers are more than likely equal with the main cause being pilot error.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Loubud

Hey Blisters, Ya weren't bashin? Hazy thought you might be so I backed him up. Go Dougie Go. I'd love to have an ultralight but Hazy would want to help build it.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:50 PM
AgCat1982

Blisters, that's the only kind they make! They all have fabric wings. Anything else would be too heavy. Many private aircraft have fabric wings. Cub, Citabria, Decathlon to name a few.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:52 PM
Airbourne in Japan

hi Ken and Lou, i haven't checked into the regs for japan yet, it'll take me a few years before i'm ready. i know in the UK you need a licence and its 15 hours min duel and 10 hours solo, but it's more likely to take 35hours so they say. japan is not very friendly to private flying, but i guess the rules are similar to the US or UK regarding the definition of an ultralight. at this field, practically all the planes were fixed wing and a lot of 2 seaters. there were also a couple of biplanes, which would be really cool. i just want something simple preferably a 2 seater and with full house controls with a stick and rudder. the next thing i'm going to check is the planes on offer and the prices, probably from the US. motors generally seem to be rotaxes. i'll also check out what's on offer from Australia and the UK. getting my licence converted to a japanese one i have always thought would be the main problem (along with cash) as i'd probably have to do an air law exam and i can't read japanese to study it. anyway i'm going to do it within the next 5 years i hope !!
Old 11-09-2005, 12:41 AM
ktaylor

sticks,,

Yeah, you're right, i meant the ones that look like box kites with the tube frame & no actual cockpit, just a seat duct taped to some tubes & a wing & a motor. Actually, I know I've seen some that are made out of composites that just barely fit into the ultralight regulations, but those get expensive since they have lots of kevlar & graphite & carbon fiber in them to keep the wieght down. I used to have a subscription to Kitplanes magazine & I always loved the december issue,, it basically was a catalogue of every homebuilt airplane you could find, mostly kits & some plansbuilt. There was also a section on ultralights, & the february issue was pretty cool too, cause that had a mini catalogue of engines, everything from v-12s to radial to 1/2 Volkswagon engines. No electrics though,,,,,
Old 11-09-2005, 12:47 AM
ktaylor

Sticks,
I could feel safe flying this plane, even with fabric wings

http://www.tnkolbaircraft.com/ultralights.html
Old 11-09-2005, 01:09 AM
Loubud

Blisters,
Yabba dabba dooo
Old 11-09-2005, 01:13 AM
Airbourne in Japan

4th day of wind and rain. i.e. no flying. got a delivery of mega motors, a big hacker and a kokam 2000 15c bat. the bad news was that it's one mega motor short. it was opened up by customs, so if it was all there when shipped, customs forgot to put it back. i don't think they would have stolen it as the japs are a lot more honest usually than the rest of the world (except politicians and big businessmen). so i hope i get another one to replace it. the hacker is big and i'm hoping to use it with the formosa 2. should be quite fast. on the building front, the tiny reno racer can't take the hacker outrunner i was hoping to fit, so i'll have to rethink that. i think a 4 turn would be ok as the tp 2100 will fit. building currently suspended. i could make it cheap and use a s400, but i'll have to think about that. the kokam is heavier and not as nice as the tp 2100, but it's shorter and wider and fits the gws zero, me109 and corsair which is why i got it. doesn't fit the badius, so unless i can get a 20c 1800 to fit, the days of badius speedsters are over. i've been waiting on this bat to try out the 3 turn motor in it.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:16 AM
Loubud

Geez Grounded. That's lots of parts. Hope you recover that motor soon.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:25 AM
Airbourne in Japan

been checking out that site you posted Ken, and it seems to fit in with my price idea, about $10k for the airframe and motors from $2500. now all i need is to make some money !!!
Old 11-09-2005, 01:26 AM
Loubud

Dougie,
If you weren't in Japan you could just go out and rob a couple of 7-11's.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:35 AM
Airbourne in Japan

hahahehe. i'll have to do some work instead. i'm really excited about this ultralight stuff though !
Old 11-09-2005, 01:38 AM
Loubud

As you should be. Not the same as cruising around in a G4 but it looks to be as close as you'll get for a while.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:46 AM
Airbourne in Japan

hey Lou, what's a g4 ??
Old 11-09-2005, 01:50 AM
Loubud

Gulfstream 4
http://www.aircharternetwork.com/leg..._pages/g4.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.