Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Loubud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

Sticks, you're a better man than I if you can make any of it out. Good to know it wasn't just me that struggled with it.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:31 PM
afineman

Hey All

With the great flights with the stock Slow Stick last weekend, I forgot how much fun it is to just FLY, because you MUST fly a stock SS.
For the last few months, we have had SSOO much power in all our planes, there was no need for flying skills, just give it power and steer.

Well I broke out the AB, and decided to make some mods, but first.

Remember when I got my B/L motor and was boasting about how much weight I saved, then remember how bummed I was when I had to add it all back for balance.

Well the AB is getting liposuction and a nip and tuck, the photos I have attached will give you an idea of what I'm doing.

My goal is balanced at less than 16 oz, I'll post finished photos and AUW when done, as well as all details.

Later All ( WOW I'm talking about the AB on the AB thread, what is this world coming to)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50615.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	226705   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43864.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	226706  
Old 02-08-2005, 09:35 PM
Loubud

Hey Hollywood, Seems to me you might have a bit too much time on your hands.
At least you are following the SM55 rules.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:40 PM
TerryE
My Feedback: (12)

Brent;

What do you think of either motor? Do the specs look good?

Terry
Old 02-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Loubud

Hey Glassman, i finally got the gyro to work. Boy howdy. A little adjusting of the aileron so it is level and I'm out a here. Still messing with the hover thing. i really suck at it. With the aileron out of whack my last attempt broke the washout. I have another so I'll put that on and try to fly again tomorrow. What a blast this thing is. For a while there I was thinking I should have gotten Hollywood's heli.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:37 PM
afineman

Terry

The motor you select is application specific, I don't think ether would be good for direct drive ( you would need a really small prop, and at those speeds it would not be efficient), but both would be good for a gear box.

Terry, here is where the learning curve comes in, these are good motors at a good price, BUT how you gear them and how you prop them for the plane you are putting them on, no one really knows ( off the to of their head, at least I don't).

I know you know this but just in case. you need to decide what range of planes you plan on using this motor for, if all fall in to the same category, then just a prop change is all that is needed when swapping the motor.

If the planes are night and day, then you need to think how to prop and gear for each setup.

Wish I could help, but to suggest any thing more would be wrong, because I don't have the experience to give you proper guidance, SORRY

Lou, seeing that I am the most familiar with rule SM55. I thought it was time for me to invoke it Hee Hee Hee
I also used a little of the humble rule in the DUD subsection as well
Old 02-08-2005, 11:30 PM
TerryE
My Feedback: (12)

Hollywood;

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the help.

What do you think of the "b" motor (5400KV) for the Ultimate Bipe?

Sorry to keep harping [:@] but this is the application I was thinking of...
Thanks again
Old 02-09-2005, 01:01 AM
Loubud

Hey Hollywood, keep an eye on the DUD rule. Don't wanna see you freak out.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:12 AM
RayRay

WOW Hollywood,

You turned your Badius into swiss cheese

Tailwind

ORIGINAL: afineman

Well I broke out the AB, and decided to make some mods, but first.

Remember when I got my B/L motor and was boasting about how much weight I saved, then remember how bummed I was when I had to add it all back for balance.

Well the AB is getting liposuction and a nip and tuck, the photos I have attached will give you an idea of what I'm doing.

My goal is balanced at less than 16 oz, I'll post finished photos and AUW when done, as well as all details.

Later All ( WOW I'm talking about the AB on the AB thread, what is this world coming to)
Old 02-09-2005, 09:32 AM
Iturnright

Yes, the question is will it work
Old 02-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Loubud

Hey Hollywood, I'm starting to think you have the wrong name. I'm thinking you are more Tim Allen of Home improvement.
I'm waiting for the lipos to charge then it's out to the heighbors yard to parctice some more. Our yard is full of plants. A regular obsticle course.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:24 PM
Diggidy

Hey guys quick question for yall. My buddy just got the 1100 mah batteries for the badius and is going to upgrade to the graupner s400 motor as he's not ready for brushless yet.

Should he get the 6volt s400 or the 7.2 volt s400.
What would the difference be also.

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Old 02-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Loubud

Hey Diggidy. I've tried the 6 volt and it sucks up the power. Get the 7.2 volt. He'll have a much happier Badius.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Diggidy

Lou,

Thanks i'll let him know.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:12 PM
AgCat1982

Mr. Haze, here an update.

Name:	Rp44318.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	227124  
Old 02-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Loubud

Hey Sticks.
I'm shocked.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:12 PM
afineman

Hey All

Hers she is, she weighs in at 14 oz, 15.5 if I don't use the Hitec feather rx.

Sticks, you use the Hitec feather rx on you AB don't you, have you had any range issues?

I don't know what to name her, I was thinking Mary Kate what do you guys think.

Back later OFF to the hot tub
ps. you can't see it in the photo, but packing tape is covering all the holes on all sides

pps. Sticks, NICE job on the LouBuild

Name:	Ge95979.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	227190  
Old 02-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Diggidy

Hey Brent,

I"m thinking about getting the formosa. Are you using your himax motor in it?
Also how does it handle wind.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:42 PM
afineman

Diggidy

The Formosa handles the wind very well, and yes I am currently using my HiMax motor on it.
It is over kill though using the Himax on this plane, BUT WOW the things you can do.

Here is my suggestion on how to step in to the Formosa.

1: buy the S350 Formosa, and buy a slope glider version at the same time, and put it in the closet.
2: when building it DO NOT install the rudder ( no one ever uses it in the beginning)
3: fly it using the stock motor ( the AB ESC works well on it), get use to it in this configuration.
4: once you get some experience flying it ( a nice term for getting all those crashes out of the way), build the Formosa slope glider version using the himax motor and R/E/A.

Diggidy this was how I approached it, where I currently have WAY too much epoxy on my Formosa, it is time for me to build my slope glider version, no landing gear, glass the weak spots ( I now know where they are), pay close attention to the 3 CG's, use real hinges, etc, etc.

Anyways, this was how I approached this plane, and I feel it worked for me.

Diggidy this is the best plane GWS has to offer ( forgetting about the slow stick, I just ordered 2 slope glider versions of the SS tonight, one for me and 1 for Howard), it is fast, and good intro to acrobatics.

Hope it helps
Old 02-09-2005, 10:53 PM
Diggidy

Brent,

Thanks for the info i think i am going to do what you said and get both the slope and regular version. Build the regular one and use that for my park flying this spring.
What servos did you use. I'm assuming hs55's??

How was the build for you. Did it go together well?
Also i'm assuming that you're using 2 cell lipo's. I have a 2 cell 1570mah which will probably work well which i can use.
And i have two 11.1 2500mah lipos enroute which i'm guessing will really make it scream.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Loubud

Hi All,
Hey Hollywood, I think we'll need a video of Mary Kate when you fly her. I think the flight will be a good one but I want to see it land. I suspect it might be a tad fragile. Dunno. Just want to see.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:40 PM
AgCat1982

Haze, things may slow down a little now while I work on the small details. This thing has a strong main spar made from a box like structure running the length of the wing that I now have to finish. It's made of two rectangle pieces between each rib.

Hollywood, yea I have several of the Feather receivers. Of course I am not flying around anyone else and that is where people have problems with them. Single conversion gets some interference from other tx. I fly my stuff out to the point I have trouble telling which way it's going and never lost signal. I could be just lucky. I have a couple of seven channel hitec dual conversions and have never been able to tell the difference, except in having the extra channels.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:57 PM
afineman

Diggidy

It built well, I really didn't have a problem, I just wish I didn't put the rudder in the first one, I was being stubborn, as of this date, other than using it to steer on the ground I don't use the rudder.

I am using H55 clones

I built it heavy, lots of glue and epoxy, much more than I need, oohh well live and learn.

Yes I use a 2 cell lipo, there are many mods, most over on RCGroups, I would recommend stock in the beginning.

Purple Haze

Of course the maiden of Mary Kate will be videoed, I was surprised how strong she still is, of course in the beginning I will fly her like a frail little girl, but in time I will get rough with her

Sticks

Thanks for the info, I'll try the Hitec.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:38 PM
Loubud

Hi All,
Very windy today and a big Choo Choo on the tracks makes it a no fly zone here. Badius 2 is ready to go and so is the heli.
Hey Sticks. Great progress but remember that there isn't any rush. Just happy to see it.
Thanks.
I have one question regarding lipos. How far can a 3 cell 2200 mah lipo be discharged? What I did was to accidently run one dow to just past 2100 mah. Didn't get hot or anything just didn't start with a fresh charge on the heli and ran past where I should have. The esc cut off from what i can tell is around 1,000 mah when starting at a full charge. Anyone know where i should cut the bats off at?
Old 02-10-2005, 02:45 PM
AgCat1982

Haze, I know there is no rush. It's just that sometimes I get started on some thing and won't stop! I have reached a stopping point for a while. When you get setup to put together a wing, it doesn't take long. I took the most time figuring out HOW to put together the first wing. The second wing was a breeze. Most of the parts are together. Now is the little details pieces, braces, small supports, servo mounting, cable running, and covering. There is still more to do that will take a while. I am just having fun or I wouldn't do it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.