Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Brushless or Lipo - one or the other

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Brushless or Lipo - one or the other

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 06:29 AM
mrstingray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless or Lipo - one or the other

How much of an improvement would I see in my GWS Spit & GWS Corsair if I went only brushless w/my stock battery setup? Would I suffer with flight time. Just trying to get a little more power without alot of money on new batts and charger. I know I would have to buy a esc also and am willing to do that. I have a 2 cell lipo for my estarter but didn't notice a whole lot of performance improvement in that. Maybe a little flight time increase with the 400 motor but thats about it (electrifly).

Also, should I just upgrade to a 400 motor (now have 350's in both).

Just wondering.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:08 AM
Rat1

Default RE: Brushless or Lipo - one or the other

Leave the 350s installed. The 400s are slightly heavier and are very amp hungery from what I have been told. I would just go to a 2s Li-Po and leave the brushed power system in it for now. If you go brushless then you may want to step up to Li-Po much quicker.

I knwo alot of people are flying them with the brushed motor and the much lighter Li-Po packs. All these people have reported much better flight with longer flight times.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:38 AM
mrstingray

Thanks for the insight. I do like the 350 motor. If I do go brushless, would flight time be affected greatly? What is the weight issue w/brushless?
Old 02-02-2005, 09:14 AM
RickAvery

Mrstingray,
I’d go with the brushless set up and your current batts. For $145.00 shipped you can have a mega 16-15-6 + a castle creations 25amp ESC + prop adapter. The efficiency of the brushless motor will give you the best of both worlds i.e. more power and greater flight time. You will not be disappointed. 3s LiPos can then be added later without worry of burning up your motor.
Rick
Old 02-02-2005, 09:52 AM
mrstingray

Thanks RickAvery. Where would you suggest getting these. Should I go to GWSexpert and order the package? Thats what I was hoping to hear. Lipo's will change the CG and everything that I finally set up. But then again, so would the brushless!!

Thanks
Old 02-02-2005, 01:42 PM
RickAvery

Mrstingray,
I just ordered a mega 16-15-4 + 35amp ESC + prop adapter from dynamo electric.com. Shipping is FREE!! I would think you would want a 16-15-6 + 25amp ESC. They’re $145.00 to your door. BUT, I’m no expert on war birds. I have a space scooter (about the same size as GWS war birds) with that same set up and with an 8 X 6E APC prop and a 3s LiPo, it goes straight up and flies with outstanding authority! Good luck.
Rick
Old 02-02-2005, 07:36 PM
Rat1

I wonder how the E flite brushless motors would do in this model? they are very reasonably priced and you can even purchase an eflite speed control and be under 100.00. they have the can motors and the outrunners.Outrunners I quess are used in a direct drive setup with the can motors being mostly used in gear boxes.

I know have two eflite park 370 4100 kv motors that I could use and I have been thinking about a P51 to install one in.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:23 PM
teltech

The e-flight brushless 370 is a direct replacement for the gws motor. You have to install the adapter on the front of the motor and it will drop right in. there is also a weight savings because it is smaller. I am going to start a new thread in the next couple of days on a modified slow stick, it will have this motor, and there will be some watt meter specs and performance review.