Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Formosa almost ready to maiden - CG?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Formosa almost ready to maiden - CG?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 10:22 AM
gravityrules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formosa almost ready to maiden - CG?

Time for last minute checks so any advice at this point would be very appreciated. I've got it balanced at the wing spar - is that optimal? I'm using 1500ma Kokam with a E-Flite Park 400 geared 5.3:1 in a GWS Gearbox and a GWS 9070 prop. I've seen others using a bigger prop with 6:1 gearing - will my setup be ok? I'm at about 6000ft elevation and am looking for basic aerobatics, no hover stuff.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:02 PM
gigelus2k3

Default RE: Formosa almost ready to maiden - CG?

Hi,

I don't know what impact the 6000ft altitude will have on the flight abilities.

Have maidened mine a week ago with the stock setup and a custom 2cell LiIon 2000mA pack. The CG on mine was about 1cm (0.4") in front of the fiberglass spar and it flew OK (I'm a beginner so I was happy to not total it).

One suggestion I have is to not fly it without hardening the connection between the servo wires and ailerons. After a less than perfect landing, I discovered that one aileron was moving freely with the servo being still. What happened is that the wire cut into the aileron foam; simply poking a hole in the foam, as suggested in the manual, is certainly not good enough.

What I did was to dig a trench in the bottom side of the ailerons (with an Exacto knife) and glue there with Gorilla glue some 1" long plastic tubing (the leftovers from the rudder and elevator control rod guides). The control wires go in these tubes with a snug feel and the problem seems to be solved.

It's probably better to do it before you maiden your plane.

Serban
Old 02-03-2005, 04:09 PM
gravityrules

Thanks, Serban

I've really beefed this puppy up. Fully glassed, aileron actuator wire inserts into a plastic tube expoxied into the aileron, Dubro plastic hinges instead of GWS paper, Carbon fiber strips along the entire fuselage length, to name a few mods. Should be pretty rugged. This is my fourth GWS plane (P-51, E-Starter, Spitfire), so I'm getting the hang of what needs improvement.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:09 PM
gigelus2k3

What is the RTF weight of it all? I would think it's quite heavy...

Serban