Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

My Slow Stick wont turn right

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 10:00 PM
marked23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Slow Stick wont turn right

This is the third Slow Stick I've built. So I feel I know what to expect.

When I turn left, the left wing drops immediately and I'm in the turn.

When I turn right, the right wing does not drop for about 2 seconds, and then it just barely comes around to turning.

My empennage setup is perfect. Everything looks good and straight. The rudder is set to appear straight at zero trim, and I've added a ton of right rudder trim to make it somewhat fly straight.

So it must be my wing.

When I built this wing, I set the dihedral to equal the stock bend in the spar joiner. (The new stronger spar joiner.) This dihedral angle is just a shade less than the maximum angle that the foam allows.

I'm thinking that the problem is something to do with the shape of the wing. Like the foam is warped somewhere. It has to be something that I can't detect just by looking, because this wing looks true.

Does anybody know what can be done to true-up a Slow Stick wing? Is there a warping technique that I can use to resolve my problem?

-Mark
Old 04-30-2005, 11:58 PM
Taylormech

Default RE: My Slow Stick wont turn right

One thing you might check is to see if the main wing is warped? Take it off the plane and look down the middle of the wing like your aiming a gun, you should be able to see if one trailing edge is lower than the other. I'm thinking that if the leading edge is toward you the left side trailing edge is lower than the right side. If so carefully twist the wing to straighten it out and hit it with a hair dryer .
Good luck
Old 05-01-2005, 12:06 AM
gigelus2k3

With the rudder control in the center, is the plane flying straight? I would check the wing to see that both halves are really equal and that the dihedral is symmetrical w.r.t. the tail.

Anyway, the behavior is weird for such a straightforward plane.

Serban
Old 05-01-2005, 01:38 AM
marked23

On one of my previous wings, I set the dihedral to 180. Meaning that the wing was entirely flat. I did this because I was working on ailerons/flaperons and I wanted to fly inverted. One of the side-effects I experienced was that my rudder had very little roll authority. Sure it had yaw authority, but then it would just fly level in a crab.

This appears to be the same sort of thing, just on one wing. I swear this wing looks good, but I'm going to try the hair-dryer trick.

One other thing that strikes me, what if my balance is off. If I move the CG fore or aft, will it change the roll authority of my rudder?

-Mark
Old 05-01-2005, 10:45 PM
theHarpmanDan

hello,

If you move the cg back it will become more resposive, and undstable. The cg may be up too far...check...experiment. I prefer a plane with the cg set as far back as I can possible get it...it makes it fly way more agile, and on my flying wings, seemes to make them faster. Give the limits of not having ailerons, I bet you want the weight back a bit to make it more resposive? I dont know your crate well, and fly "twitchy" setups for stuntflying. So definatly experiment with your cg...if the wind kicks up a little,,,just add weight to its nose...if it kicks up a lot...add a lot of weight, unless it is a flying wing.

theharpmandan