Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Looking for first plane to buy, J-3 Cub?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Looking for first plane to buy, J-3 Cub?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 02:24 PM
jas00n_86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for first plane to buy, J-3 Cub?

Hi everybody, Ive been interested in this hobby for a long time now and I'm looking to buy my first plane. I decided to go electric since it seems more inexpensive and more maintainable than glow powered planes. Also my parents just bought a new house with plenty of flying area and a decent size lake. Now I would like to get a plane that I can attach floaters to it so when ever I want to land or take off from the lake. For a beginner the J-3 Cub looks like the way to go and would look practical with floaters attached. So thats what I'm leaning toward. Also I want it to have plenty of power when needed. So the question, is the J-3 Cub the better choice or is there something else out there better for me? I plan on ordering from tower so what brand of J-3, Great Planes...etc? What motor, radio, etc should i use? Also does tower have floaters? I would greatly appreciate anyones help and advice.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:45 PM
ryanf420

Default RE: Looking for first plane to buy, J-3 Cub?

I own the Parkzone J-3 cub and it is a good plane...handles nice,durable,good power stock but w/ new props and some motor upgrades could have even more power...Floats on this plane...I don't think so, unless self fabricated.....

Now, I have never flown anything with floats on it but all that I have read and heard ect. this is a very tricky type of flying(more expert flying) and could result in loosing the plane in the middle of the lake...on floats or under water..and the landing for this type flying is an art in itself...

I personally am 24yrs old so I have the go out and try it attitude but, you mentioned the fact that glow is a little costly and in this situation that your approaching might be very costly in the long run...

there are some very knowledge able and ready people on this forum though so keep asking..I did and I have learned a great deal..!!!!!
Old 05-22-2005, 06:10 PM
biker_ray_pa

I bought a set of floats for my GWS Beaver, and I think they'd work OK on the Parkzone Cub. You can get 'em at:

http://tinyurl.com/74xef

Good luck and have fun!!

Ray out
Old 05-22-2005, 06:29 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

I have been flying a Parkzone J-3 Cub for some time. Have crashed and fixed it many times.
I would not recommend floats for it unless you increase the power with the venom motor upgrade and different propeller.
Even then, it would be rather tricky taking off and landing on water -- difficult to do.

I have seen a few planes with floaters that would be a better choice. They are all foam and have the motor mounted on top of the wing (a pusher). I live by a lake and have been thinking about something like that. But definetely not the Parkzone Cub.

Old 05-22-2005, 06:43 PM
kennydee

Welcome to the sport, you'll have a ball. You don't say what brand or size cub you're interested in. One of the best RTF cubs would be the Parkzone Cub, but I'm not sure it's a good candidate for floats. The Parkzone Cub comes with everything you need to get into the air and flys in a fairly small space (maybe a baseball outfield size) and cost around 170 bucks. The GWS Cub (not the 350 3D but their basic cub) would probably be easier to learn on because it flys so slow and I think you can buy floats from GWS that will work on that plane, like the guy did with the GWS Beaver. But there is some building time involved with the GWS Cub (it's pretty simple) and you would need to buy the electronic gear (receiver, transmitter or radio, batteries & two servo's). Cost to equip and fly the GWS Cub would be around 200 to 250 bucks (including the plane). I think it best you learn to fly over tera-firma (land) first and then try the float thing. Flying and landing a plane with floats is not hard, just different. Is there an AMA RC club near you? Your local hobby shop should be able to tell you. Visit the club, if it's like most, there will be several people there willing to help you get started and teach you to fly. Go to the product reviews on this site and search slow flyers & park flyers to get an idea of whats out there for beginners. Be warned, this hobby is addictive, heck, I have more planes than some third world countries. I'm 55 years old and just discovered RC about 3 years ago and I'm having a ball.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:46 PM
jas00n_86

Thank you guys for your quick and informative responses! But I have decided, after much researching, that I will go with the Aerobird Challenger. It seems that its the better choice for a beginner like me. And when I master this plane then I will move on to a more advanced plane like the stryker(they seem like a hoot!). Comments or more advice is welcome! Thanks!
Old 05-23-2005, 06:11 AM
ryanf420

Good choice with the aerobird challenger..this was my first plane and I learned a lot from it...and once you have learned to fly a bit ..that plane is capable of some slight aerobatic moves ..which helps with better control when you do move up......

Oh, and like kennydee said....Welcome to the sport...just be prepared to be addicted....especially since your are not getting an overwhelming airplane to start with..this will build confidence..!
Old 05-24-2005, 12:45 PM
P51ACE

i have the gws estarter on floats for a test and with a brushless and li-pos its cool!
im 17 and found this hobby 2 years ago with a ............AEROBIRD CHALLENGER great fun and a great beginners plane now i have 3-d and sport aerobats and love them!
Old 05-24-2005, 04:31 PM
jas00n_86

Thanks agian for the comments. After I get back from my trip to texas I will order the challenger and will post pics and a video of my first flight. Hope it goes well.