Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Great Planes or GWS F4U

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 09:34 PM
jg7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes or GWS F4U

Hello All,

I’m thinking of getting either the Great Planes electric park flyer F4U-1A Corsair or the GWS F4U. For the GWS, any preference for which motor (350 or 400)? What do people think about these products? Which one is best? Good? Bad?

Any suggestions for good battery/ESC options with these kits?

Any and all thoughts welcome.

Thanks.

jg7
Old 06-22-2005, 09:51 PM
Gullwing72

Default RE: Great Planes or GWS F4U

jg7: I just got through with my GWS Corsair. I didn't use the stock power system. I went brushless and Li-po. My setup is still in the works. The motor I have a is the e-flite park 370 5400kv(too much motor), having a hard time getting the prop and gears right. I flew it this last weekend(i.e. crash discussion forum) Not the planes fault, prop saver failed. It flew alright before that. I suggest a Himax setup though. I had these parts lying around. My first choice was the GP version, but it is on back order and I didn't want to wait...........If you go with the GP let me know how it goes....CDP
Old 06-22-2005, 09:52 PM
Gullwing72

Heres a pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27955.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	288553  
Old 06-22-2005, 10:14 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been flying my GWS for two years with the stock motor (350) and a 9.6v NiMh battery for over two years. I love my Corsair!
Old 06-22-2005, 10:54 PM
wow460

i have the gws corsair w/ a xt 400 brushless 2 cell 1320 thunder power lipoly it flies great . i haven't flown out the battery as i wanted power to land but typical times are around 5-6 minutes before i chicken out
Old 06-27-2005, 04:20 PM
DRM

ORIGINAL: jg7

Hello All,

I’m thinking of getting either the Great Planes electric park flyer F4U-1A Corsair or the GWS F4U. For the GWS, any preference for which motor (350 or 400)? What do people think about these products? Which one is best? Good? Bad?

Any suggestions for good battery/ESC options with these kits?

Any and all thoughts welcome.

Thanks.

jg7
My vote would be for the GWS corsair. It's alot of fun! Plus, your motor & battery will then migrate effortlessly to any of the other GWS warbirds, biplanes, etc... I highly recommend going brushless.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:21 PM
Gullwing72

Well I got the gear and prop right on my GWS Corsair, it hauls !@#. It has no trouble with just about any thing I thow at it....It rocks....Cant't wait to have time to get it back in the air.....
Old 06-28-2005, 01:23 AM
gigelus2k3

I think that the GP Corsair is throttle/elevator/rudder, while the GWS is definitely throttle/aileron/elevator (rudder is optional).

Depends on what you want. If you're looking for an aileron plane, GWS (or the beautiful Alpha) is the one to buy.

Serban
Old 06-28-2005, 06:14 PM
Gullwing72

The GP is throttle; elevator; aileron; the GWS is throttle;elevator;aileron;and rudder optional.....I have the GP combat Corsair and was thinking of leaning to fly the park flyer version first, it is set up the same way.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:59 PM
gigelus2k3

Oh, from the descriptions I could find it was not obvious that the GP has ailerons. How is the aileron linkage looking like? Does it use two servos buried in the wing or a single one and flexible linkages (to deal with the multi-faceted wing)? Could you post some pictures about this?

Thank you.

Serban
Old 06-29-2005, 06:21 PM
Gullwing72

Here is the link......http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...fm?kit_id=3415 and the other way I found out was from a friend who went to a show and saw them there. I don't know about the linkage, from the Tower Hobby description I think it is one servo for the elevator and one for the ailerons.....I know all it calls for is two total. I know some people do not like the one servo for the ailerons, but I used one Hitec HS-81 (instead of the HS-55) for more power on my GWS and it works great .....It is tricky though to get the rod bent just the right way........ I used the 55's on the rudder and elevator.. One tip: the elevator rod is ran to the right side control surface only, with a rod connecting to the other side.. after a few flights the left control surface does not operate as well. I am in the middle of splicing a rod from the servo to the other side for a more even control.....CDP