Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

aerobird Xtreme Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 01:48 PM
gun4hire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aerobird Xtreme Question

Well----I always wanted to get into radio controlled planes...but the last thing I need is ANOTHER hobby I am new here and to rc planes... I decided to go for it and start in the park flyer/electric area since it seemed less expensive (learned lesson here!!) I didn't read up enough which is my own mistake.. I went to my local hobby store and picked the PZ p-51 since it looked cool and I have countless hours on my WW2 computer flight sims (il2 series) and I though it was the about the same (second lesson learned)
I got home--put it together-charged ect. it kept drifting left and crashing. I stopped before it was too bad and went back and bought the PZ cub like I should have in the begining... I flew it for about 30 flights without any major problem.. It is kinda easy.. I have loved it ...time to move up so I got the 51 taped up flew it great for about 5 minutes..then when getting it lined up to land it got in the sun, came out and I though I had plenty high to come out of the dive....and it would have BUT my depth perception was bad (bigger bird than cub) and it hit my roof and was totaled...bad (I can save the tail elevator) I flew the cub some more and decided to buy the aerobird extreme (on basic setting). I don't really like the v tail fishing line thing but ohhh well. QUESTION sorry for the big intro

When I use what would be the elevator trim tab )on the side)...both control surfaces move up and down.. when i use the trim tab under the control stick just one control surface moves..and the far end of adjustment i see the other one flinch a bit.. Is this normal???? I was told by hobby store both will move on expert setting but that sounds wrong?????

I have flown it twice now.. the first flight, i had left/right trim problems(slight) and the bottom trim tab seemed worthless.. I landed it and adjusted a bit more and had a great second flight (did a loop for the heck of it).. The motor seemed to be pulling good when see just shut down. I thought I only had 10 minutes of flight in or so. I was thinking bad connection in battery. It was floating in real nice I hit the throttle and it took off again for a few seconds and cut out.....I floated over my landing spot and made the mistake off hitting the throttle again and it lurched forward again a few feet off the ground. I killed it and brought it to a fair landing way long off my landing area.. Is the esc ????(spelling) what cut the motor so abruptly??? it did not seem to be that low on battery power???

thank you for the answers--I will have lots more---- gun
Old 09-24-2005, 04:31 PM
Colonel Toon

Default RE: aerobird Xtreme Question

Hi Gun

This is a safety feature. When the battery is low it automatically cuts the motor leaving enough power to allow you to control the landing.
It's all in the manual. You have read the manual haven't you?[X(] lol

If u only got 10 mins i'd suspect ur battery wasn't fully charged to start with.

Well i'm off to go stick a new tail on mt Xtreme and do a few other minor crash repairs!

Old 09-24-2005, 06:00 PM
AJ1202

One other thing I found on the extreme as well as everything else you won't get optimal batt life untill you cycle it through about 3 times. I flew a new one last weekend had same issue due to new batt and not cycled out yet. As to tail flinching it is not so unusual to see that, LHS is correct about both moving in Pro mode one will go down when the other goes up this is how it is able to get better reaction. I agree the fishing line thing stinks but it does work well as long as you keep tail adj. I redo how it comes stock in the horn by running line through top hole then through second hole in horn then take it to spool and wind it up. I found this keeps it from slipping out of adj, believe me you don't want that to happen with this bird
Ace..not to indicate flying ability....YET
Old 09-24-2005, 06:36 PM
gun4hire

ya---I read the manual and watched the video..The cutting off seemed weird 'cause the plane sounded like it had lotsa power prior. the aero battery dies fast..the cub seems to slowly die down..I got more time out of the battery my next few flights...ONE flight all looked good with the control surfaces.. on launch it started a right turn I could not turn out of.it turned towards the house and I had flashbacks and let it spin in with no power. it hit hard enough to pop the rubber nose thing off but did no damage.. I re- centered the dang v and it flew fine.. but seems to turn faster to the right and sloooowww to the left. I am tempted to use the "pro" mode since I feel the stardard mode I need half the sky to turn in.. seems sluggish then turns fast....wish I could put my cub tail on it... I have a hard time doing a loop.. as I pull up it wants to twist left or right a bit and it is more of a wing over.. I will keep on trying......5 flights and it is damage free unlike my p51[:@]

gun--who never hated wind before rc planes---