Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ABX gone AWOL

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABX gone AWOL

Today, my ABX has flown off on it's own. It was well in range but it just stopped responding, stopped turning and flew off straight and level. I've informed the local police force who had not heard anything about it.

The question is, is there any way that I can get HZ in the UK to replace the item as potentially faulty ? My son was flying his FBC without any issues.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2005, 03:24 PM

Default RE: ABX gone AWOL

dude were you flying both planes at the same time? if so have you done this before, it sounds like you might have had radio interference
I have a freind with ABX that can have it turned off and if his batt in plugged up my radio will start his motor
When we fly together we can't fly at same time
Just a thought
Old 10-11-2005, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the suggestion but we were both flying together for maybe ten minutes without issues and we've done it several times before so I don't think that is it.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:23 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Well...I currently have a BUNCH of issues with Hobbyzone in general....The craftsmanship of their Electronics has the right Idea...But has a lot to be desired....I have 2 ABX's...One Is brand new...and Just STOPPED working....NO Crash...No Nothing....The black power wire Magically UNsoldered itself...And Was VERY HOT.....# Of My other Birds scout and 2 firebirds have DIED as a result of similair PRoblemsd...and what SUCKS is you MUST Buy an ENTIRE New Fuselage.....Cant Buy a new board....My SECOND Aerobird Extreme is the One I modded up...and rigged for Photgraphy....I was Flying at a decent Height...Not too high....But High enough to be bad news if ALL POWER JUST STOPS!....I had ZERO CONTROL.....and i have VIDEO To prove it....The Motor just STOPPED...as did all control...LUCKILY It crash landed in a Tree....Hardly any damage...But LOOK INSIDE....and the SAME WIRE IS UNSOLDERED OFF OF the VERY SAME SPOT As The Other....and THAT Is why The Motor stopped MID FLIGHT....Now Both of my extremes are under a Month old...and have Little flight time...CERTAINLY are under warranty...I would THINK...Now Ive emailed Hobbyzone and awaiting a response....Im really not going to Like packing up and sending my abx that Ive spent 8 or so combined hours Attaching different mods...Ie camera mount...different safety features...Larger landing wheels...Just a ton of stuff...Especially when all I need to do is send in the circuit board.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: GAGE308

Well...I currently have a BUNCH of issues with Hobbyzone in general....The craftsmanship of their Electronics has the right Idea...But has a lot to be desired....I have 2 ABX's...One Is brand new...and Just STOPPED working....NO Crash...No Nothing....The black power wire Magically UNsoldered itself...And Was VERY HOT.....# Of My other Birds scout and 2 firebirds have DIED as a result of similair PRoblemsd...and what SUCKS is you MUST Buy an ENTIRE New Fuselage.....Cant Buy a new board....My SECOND Aerobird Extreme is the One I modded up...and rigged for Photgraphy....I was Flying at a decent Height...Not too high....But High enough to be bad news if ALL POWER JUST STOPS!....I had ZERO CONTROL.....and i have VIDEO To prove it....The Motor just STOPPED...as did all control...LUCKILY It crash landed in a Tree....Hardly any damage...But LOOK INSIDE....and the SAME WIRE IS UNSOLDERED OFF OF the VERY SAME SPOT As The Other....and THAT Is why The Motor stopped MID FLIGHT....Now Both of my extremes are under a Month old...and have Little flight time...CERTAINLY are under warranty...I would THINK...Now Ive emailed Hobbyzone and awaiting a response....Im really not going to Like packing up and sending my abx that Ive spent 8 or so combined hours Attaching different mods...Ie camera mount...different safety features...Larger landing wheels...Just a ton of stuff...Especially when all I need to do is send in the circuit board.
Not to be a pain, but it's easier to read a post and absorb its meaning when proper grammar and punctuation are used. I dont mean perfect grammar and spelling, but at least something within the ballpark.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:33 PM

Just Follow your first instinct and "NOT BE A PAIN". If you feel that This Site is one in which all must use proper grammar, punctuation spelling and such, maybe it is NOT One you need to READ OR Respond to especially if your response has NOTHING To do with the thread itself and you Still feel the need to respond to it, I Think It would probably be to your best interest that If HAlfway through a reply, you DONT LIKE IT...STOP READING IT. To think I Got all excited to see someone respond to this or any Aerobird extreme thread and It turned out to be some Know it All wanna be English Teacher..LOL...Either That...or YOU MUST WORK for Horizon Hobby...THATS IT! Well Ile TRI TU WERK ON MY GRAAMER FOR U MISTER. SURRY To O FEN U> But If I didnt get Everything That was On mymind OUT and Quick...I'd LIKELY Forget all I had on my mind thats Been driving me CRAZY about that Line of Hobbyzone planes and the Poor electrical Sys. Im Dealing with.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:54 PM

That was great, I needed a good laugh!
Old 10-12-2005, 01:15 AM

OK, I have no ABX experience to begin with.

However, I'm wondering what could cause the same issue on two separate planes, namely black wire unsoldering itself from the board. Somehow, either the wire or the board reached a high temperature of 450 to 500F so that the solder gave up. What could possibly cause this?

B.t.w., what wire is this black one? Was it overstretched from the beginning so that the tension made it easier to disconnect? Should some airflow pass through the "fuse" to cool down the motor/electronics and this passage has been closed?
Old 10-12-2005, 02:54 AM

GAGE308, thanks for the length reply. I had no problems reading it

This is my second ABX. The first gave me problems from the start, with the motor blipping out for a second or two during each flight. Then I had the big one where it blipped out for a few seconds and I thought that it was also on it's way then I managed to get control back and landed it soon afterwards.

I used to like to read every ABX thread and I've been following your recent ones. However, unless I report back that I have my ABX back, or a replacement one, there must be no more new ones

You may have seen my thread about adoring the ABX. I was awake all night thinking about mine. It was so cool.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:35 AM

You've suffered from the comon problem of a burned out FET. When it gets hot the power or motor wires can come loose. Lot's of people have put in a stronger FET. If you do a search you can find info on it in this forum. I, however, have converted to standard electronics in the Extreme. Again, do a search here for that.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:52 AM

Thanks. I've seen the comments about the FET before. Does it also affect the use of the control surfaces though ?
Old 10-13-2005, 08:58 AM

No, the motor usually just stops working. However, if it heated up and caused wires to come loose then you'd loose all control.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:29 PM

CRITTERHUNTER-
Do you By Chance remember the name of the thread that will give me the info on your switching to standars ele.? I have thought a lot about it an Had One nightmare..LOL...and decided NOT to order another extreme fuse...Just a waste...Im all about hooking my Bird up with some GOOD Electronics. I Think As Ive stated before The BARE Circuit Board in the fuse with all the components ripped off, Makes an EXCELLENT Mount for the servos...OK IF yOU can remember that Thread just let me know In the mean time I'll start looking for it.
Donnie(gage308)
Old 10-13-2005, 07:44 PM

CRITTERHUNTER-
Do you By Chance remember the name of the thread that will give me the info on your switching to standars ele.? I have thought a lot about it an Had One nightmare..LOL...and decided NOT to order another extreme fuse...Just a waste...Im all about hooking my Bird up with some GOOD Electronics. I Think As Ive stated before The BARE Circuit Board in the fuse with all the components ripped off, Makes an EXCELLENT Mount for the servos...OK IF yOU can remember that Thread just let me know In the mean time I'll start looking for it.
Donnie(gage308)