Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS Slow Stick / Tiger Moth

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 07:52 PM
woodduck-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Slow Stick / Tiger Moth

I have a Slow Stick which is fun to fly. I am wondering how you flyers compare the Slow Stick to the Tiger Moth. The Tiger Moth looks like it will fly in a smaller area. The speed looks to me to be about the same.
Old 11-10-2002, 08:41 PM
LESLIEx317537
My Feedback: (1)

The Tigermoth is alot smaller and can fly slower since it has 2 wings that create more drag which help it from building up speed.

It also should be powered by a lighter battery and has a smaller motor.

The Tigermoth can definetly be flown in a tighter area.

I have two 150mah 6 cell Ni-Cd packs, two Pici Std servos, a ICS50 2 amp ESC, and a Pico 4 Ch reciever that are going to be used on my GWS Tigermoth for flying in my backyard.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:19 AM
rahtware

Actually, wing loading is more important than size when you compair the TM and SS for slow flight. They are quite close. The TM has 288 sq in and is supposed to come in between 7.6 and 9.7 oz RTF. This gives a WL of 3.8 - 4.85 oz/sq ft.

The SS has 506! sq in and weighs 11.9 - 15.5 oz. I would like to see a 7.6 oz TM or a 11.9 oz SS. My SS came in at 16 5/8 oz!. GWS lists a wing loading of 3.39 for the SS, mine came in at 4.6 oz/sq ft.

Guess which one is going to have a slower stall speed...

On top of all of this, you have to deduct some of the lift from the TM because it is a bipe. No problem though, the GWS TM still comes in way below the "nail biting" WL level.

After seeing these numbers, I might just have to get one of the TMs for myself. I haven't yet because a LHS owner told me that they were hard to balance, and lousy flyers... With all I have been reading about the TM, I think he, or whomever told him this, must be completely mistaken!!!
Old 11-11-2002, 12:27 AM
LESLIEx317537

I think the Tiger Moth is the plane to get for slow flight also.

So far I have flown the Slow Stick, Beaver, and the Zero.

I'm going to get the Tiger Moth very soon. I allready have all the equipment I need. I heard using flying wires will help stablize the wings during flight.
Old 12-04-2002, 12:13 AM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tiger Moth

I love flying mine! I subbed the GWS prop w/ APC use up to 8 cells. Mine will rog very easy. I 'm going to try the IPSD twin motor setup as I read that it works very well.
BTW I just bought the Beaver and am planning to get a pair of floats frtom Foam Floats.com as they make a set that will be the correct size. .....My spring project. See Ya! Jollyroger
Old 12-04-2002, 01:52 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TM is awesome. Whoever said they are hard to balance and don't fly well was smoking crack. Here's how I modified mine to prevent the wings from flexing:

Get some carbon rod (1/16" or less) and run it from the root of the lower wing to where the strut attaches on the upper wing. The tensile strength of the carbon rod is very high and the wings will not move at all while looping or during other maneuvers. I also went with an APC Slo-Fly 9x6 and got better performance.
Old 12-04-2002, 02:16 AM
LESLIEx317537

Most people have found that the flying wires are sufficient enough and hold the wing very strong.

I put them on mine and the wing does not shift left and right any more.

You can get more info here: www.tigermothsquadron.com