Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

GSW ME-109 Begginer's part list

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GSW ME-109 Begginer's part list

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 02:47 AM
Bloodshed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSW ME-109 Begginer's part list

I have decided to start doing some r/c flying after finally having some free time on my hands (I am very new at the hobby having never built/flown anything but I know the basics atleast). I really want to do a 46 gas kit warbird but I feel that I should atleast start with electric to get going. I have been looking at the ME-109 which is a beautiful looking plane. After reading these forums for hours on the subject I believe that I have a good feel for what I need and I can't wait to get started.

Any comments/suggestions/compatibility issues on my setup would be greatly appreciated.

BP 12 Outrunner Brushless Motor
Castle Creations Thunderbird-18 Brushless Speed Controller
4.7 Slow Flyer Black Electric Propeller 9047

4 Channel Radio
Hitec HFS-04MG 4 Ch. 72 Mhz Micro Receiver Futaba/Hitec
GWS Naro Std Sub Micro Servo (3 total, one for each surface)
Art-Tech 11.1V 2200mAh Li-Poly Battery with A2 Connector

Will I need any other parts besides these?

I have priced it out with the total coming to a little over 300$, is this about right?

Thanks!
Old 12-25-2005, 07:34 AM
Jagzilla

Default RE: GSW ME-109 Begginer's part list

I know you don't want to hear this, but the ME 109, or any other low wing airplane is not suitable to learn on. Unless you are one very gifted person, the chances are the plane will be destroyed immediately.
It would be a far better idea to put all that equipment into a trainer (high wing) type plane, and start from there. Usually you go from high, to mid wing and then to low wing in the learning process. You can transfer all your equipment as you go along.
Spend some time on a flight sim as well if you can. That is also great practice in your learning curve. You can get a free one here on the net called "FMS"
Hope this helps you out.
Merry Christmas to you and all reading this.
J
Old 12-25-2005, 03:47 PM
Bloodshed

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into buying maybe the GWS piper cub first?

I was coming in knowing that I would probably crash it the first time but I figured at the most a motor plus new airframe wouldnt be too bad to replace.

Would my equipment be compatible however?
Old 12-25-2005, 04:28 PM
AJ1202

Try the GWS E-Starter, I have one and I love it. I bought it to learn ailerons on,before I make my move to a low wing warbird, it's airframe is more than capable of handling brushless power, in fact I'm going to make mine brushless soon. It's a big plane and even though I'm running stock 350 geared motor it is pretty quick with the 1050 ma batt I use, It won't do axial rolls but it will roll and loops, not a problem, It's a solid little plane and good to learn with
If you decide to get it keep posting as there are a couple build tips you might want to know, I learned them building mine
I can't really say on the choice of equipment as I still use 3 channel set up, but it all looked compatible, I think your total cost is a bit on the high side, you should be able to come in more around 150.00 to 175.00. including a plane. check out prices at Balsapr.
Good Luck in whatever you decide to get
Old 12-26-2005, 11:37 PM
Bloodshed

AJ,

I think that I'm going to go ahead and get the E-Starter like you said. It seems like a really solid plane. It's a hard choice between the cub, DHC-2 Beaver, and E-Starter but i'm sure that they will all fly about the same.

I'm going to post the last concern I have as another thread but I'm wondering about the battery size. I wanted to go with a 2200 for longer field times but it seems that the weight will really hurt the plane at slow speeds and landings. So is there any way to just go with a 1200 or so and charge it at the field instead of tailing it back home after 10min?

When I get my plane going I will be sure to update everyone on how it went.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:04 AM
Jagzilla

A lot (most) chargers clip onto car batteries and you can use them at the field just fine.
I think you will be very happy with the e-starter, it's a great choice as a trainer. Don't think of trainer as "boring", believe me, you'll have plenty of fun and excitement with that plane.
As far as lipo's go, I would be hesitant about recommending a lipo from artech. It's the "C" rating of the battery that is very important. The higher the rating, the better the battery. Artech is not a main battery company, and I'm not so sure on their quality. Lipo's are fragile, and easily ruined. Not too crash resistant. If they get punctured, or bent badly, they are wrecked. They are a fire hazard as well. Do not overcharge them, or puncture them! I would not get the 2100 battery either, as it is on the heavy side. I would consider a 1500 3 cell, two if you can afford it. Most people will not recommend learning with a lipo, but I feel if you use common sense when handling them, and realize their danger pontential, you can go ahead and use them. I wouldn't waste money on nicads or metal hydride packs.
The Estarter doesn't fly the same as the Beaver and the cub. It has ailerons, and is a lot faster. It would be considered a bit more advanced sort of trainer. It is quite feasable to pick it up as your first plane, but make sure to buy some two part epoxy at the same time you buy it (trust me on this).
Hope you had a nice Christmas. Post more questions if needed. good luck with your choice's
J
Old 12-27-2005, 08:39 AM
AJ1202

I agree with J, Go with the E-Starter as it is a better plane, I have the Beaver and the E-Starter and the Starter is far superior
not only the fact that it has ailerons, the wing on the Beaver is paper thin, comparisions, Beaver is a floater and will self right itself everytime, it is very lite, it is very fragile, it can easily fly inverted and can handle a much heavier battery, I went with a 7.2 1000 ma nicd and changed the prop and it will scream, almost hover. The E-Starter is more solid, solid wing with ailerons, it is bigger and glides nice but doesn't exactly float, it will maintain the direction you point it, not good to self right itself quickly, but control surfaces make for nice flying, I let my son fly mine and he had it diving bad and I grabbed the controls and was able to recover it about 2 ft off the ground, so it responds well. I am now using a 8.4 1050 ma 2/3 A battery, it is heavier than the stock 8.4 600 ma but the plane handles it well, I have tried inverted flight and it will do it, but it doesn't like it And like J said don't think of it as a trainer as this plane is realy fun to fly
I'll give you some build tips once you get it, there are a couple things that the instructions won't tell you
Old 12-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Bloodshed

Thanks for the advice, i'm going to go ahead and get the E-Starter with 2 1300 lipos (When I get my check next week ;P ). I'll be sure to post back when it comes in to get some more tips.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:59 PM
AJ1202

Good call BS hmm that's not gonna work OK Blood once you get it come on and join us at the Shun Da Cub thread, we would be glad to have you aboard, Take a look at mine on my home page in my models, I was kinda proud of the way it turned out