Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkflyers.com BeginAir problems

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkflyers.com BeginAir problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 12:27 PM
itspuddingtime00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkflyers.com BeginAir problems

First off, keep in mind I am new with the whole electric thing, I fly only glow planes at the moment. I am having a lot of trouble setting this thing up. I got the ARF version, which I found out was the RTF verson with the transmitter torn out. But anyways, after putting all of my radio gear in it, I find that one of the aileron servos isn't working. I switched the plugs around, and now the other one isn't working. Instead of a Y harness, there are two sets of wires going into one plug. I don't really know of any way to remedy this. The other problem which I'm not even sure is a problem is with the motor/esc. When I hit the motor arming switch, the motor starts with more than enough force to pull the plane, even if the transmitter stick is back at idle, it still throttles up and stuff just fine. Should the motor be completely stopped at idle? I guess I just have to program the ESC or something, but it's all wrapped up in black heatshrink. The whole plane kinda looks cheaply made to me too, not really worth the 120 bucks I paid for it.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:15 PM
mattchase

Default RE: Parkflyers.com BeginAir problems

Not sure what to tell you about the non-working aileron servo, you will probably need to get it exchanged unless you are willing to start cutting wires, or have servos you can replace it with on hand. I ended up replacing mine after a short time. I noticed with mine that the motor arming switch was hit and miss, sometimes the motor wouldn't start up unless I pressed it, but most the time it would start up without pressing the button. The motor shouldn't turn if you have the throttle stick all the way off, I guess in a sense with electric there is no real idle, it is either on or off. I did have to adjust my throttle trim to a negative setting in order to keep the motor from running though, so that could be the solution for you as well. I don't believe that ESC is programable, it is a pretty inexpensive ESC. The plane is a bit on the cheap side, though considering you get most the electronics at that price it isn't too bad. You do get what you pay for though, and as I said before I replaced my servos after a few flights with some moderately better ones. The plane is pretty durable, probably more so than you would think just looking at it. I had some hard crashes including a nose dive at full throttle from about 50 feet up into the hard desert ground and was able to repair the damage without much trouble.

The biggest complaint I had with the plane was that it I didn't feel it was reliable, at least from an electronics standpoint. I didn't have a watt meter at the time so am not sure exactly what the cause was, but something would cause it to cut out in flight, and it wasn't the battery being dead. One flight would be great, the next it would cut out in a couple of minutes, then the next flight it was fine again. Either the ESC or the motor was overheating or drawing too much power, or maybe it was drawing too much from the battery, or something else just wasn't working right, I don't know. I would fly with the same batteries on my SlowStick (different ESC and motor, same brand RX) with no problems. It was a fun plane to fly though, I actually liked it's flight characteristics better than my current 4 channel high wing plane, it was more forgiving in the air...though I know part of that is because I'm still learning my new planes quirks.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:51 PM
jjflash

I got a ARF BeginAir that did the same thing. It was wire in plug on rcvr that was loose or broken from wire terminal. I think that why rcvr came with it because they thought it was bad. It was the black wire to left aileron that was bad so I spliced both black wires together and soldered. My motor runs slow with full charge and speed control to zero.

JJ
Old 12-30-2005, 01:35 PM
stockdaddy

I had the RTF one and when switching to my Futaba 7C TX, i did notice that the motor wouldn't stop when stick was all the way down. The way to fix that is adjust the trim till the motor stops running. You can't program the ESC.

To fix the ailerons you could either buy a new Y harness or get some servo extensions and run them into the RX considering you have 6ch RX with flaperon mixing on your TX.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:37 PM
itspuddingtime00

I've tried adjusting all the trim settings, but I can't get the motor to stop completely. It slows down some, but not a whole lot. As for the ailerons, I have a Y harness, but I don't see how you could make it work unless you soldered on two seperate connectors and then plugged that in to the Y harness.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:16 AM
jjflash

You can use an ohm meter to check the aileron harness from pin-to-pin on each end of harness (2 wires on each pin for left and right aileron. On mine one wire wasn't making a connection at the receiver end of plug so I just stripped some insulation off both wires at receiver end and spliced them together which fixed the problem. I bet that is what is wrong with yours.

JB
Old 01-01-2006, 07:55 PM
itspuddingtime00

Everything is fixed now. I went out and replaced the connectors and it all works fine. I also got the motor issue sorted out. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:39 PM
velojet

ORIGINAL: itspuddingtime00

I also got the motor issue sorted out.
How did you get the motor issue sorted out, itspuddingtime00? (I have the same problem on mine.)
Old 04-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Sir Raleigh

Man! Don't you just hate it when you spend your time trying to help someone and then they post something like "I got the problem fixed." and you never find out what they did to fix it?

I'll always post what I did no matter whether I fixed it myself or from a posted suggestion. It's just common courtesy.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:43 AM
velojet

Thanks for your sympathy, Bill. Nice to know that someone's still checking this thread after all this time! Let's hope that itspuddingtime00 is still checking it too and will do what you clearly do as a matter of course.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Sir Raleigh

I just made another comment, this one positive, here: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...d=1#post387570

I've always felt that the more information given about problems and solutions the more everyone learns.
I've been a member of Broadband Reports/DSL Reports ( http://www.dslreports.com/ ) for years and the main purpose over there is helping people with computer, software, and broadband/modem problems and I see the same thing over there. People work their ***** off trying to help someone and all they get in return is "I found and fixed the problem." It sure does make you feel appreciated, wanted, and needed when they do that.... NOT!
Old 08-14-2009, 05:24 PM
parker97221

Itoo have been a little dissappointed with what Igot.
Iopened the box and found a home burned instruction DVD. No problem...
Everything is kind of just thrown in the body. Took a lot of effort to get everything
adjusted so that surfaces were in the range of the trim tabs.
I put it together and found the right aileron servo to be bad. Bought a replacement.
Had a devil of a time taking off, seemed to roll forever before Icould get liftoff.
Ilike having spare batteries and also had bought a pkz 1023 as a back up.
After flying a few laps around the field, Ilanded and put in my back-up battery.
OMG the thing pretty much lept off the ground. Seemed to fly crazy fast compared
to the other battery. Ihave since carefully charged both, but the airtech battery is
always very weak by comparison.

But, for all of the problems and cheap componetry, this plane is tough. Ihave flown
it into several trees now at full steam. And other than a few nicks, it came out fine.
It flies really well. Ihave a lot of experience on 3 channel systems and wanted something
cheap to practice my rolls and split-s. Iwon't cry when this thing turns to dust in some
field.

One more thing, the "weak" battery cut out sooner than Iexpected this morning.
I was forced to make a landing on the grass. Don't do this. Iwill be hand launching
from now on Iguess...

Old 08-27-2009, 04:08 PM
parker97221

More follow up on my BeginAir adventures.

Yesterday during an attempt (my first) at inverted flight Imanged to auger straight into the ground at full throttle. The only thing that broke were the rubber bands. A few nicks on the wings and some battle scars on the nose. Not bad, tuff little plane.

Like Isaid I like to have spare batteries. Today at lunch Igathered up my three batteries and headed to the park. After flying out the first two packs, on my third the plane got suddenly quiet. I though the battery died. Then I noticed Icould hear the motor. After gliding to a nice landing, Inoticed the prop was gone. I searched the field and found it. The hole where the shaft slides in was all melted looking. Then Inoticed the back of the plane where the motor was attached was kind of melted. Iguess Ishould take two planes so that one can cool off while Ifly the other!

Old 02-11-2010, 02:46 PM
donandmax
My Feedback: (2)

This is nothing but Chinese junk if your serious about RC electric flying stay clear of this "toy" I bought the one with 2.4 ghz radio and LiPoly battery The battery installs on top of the receiver and servos. I tried every consevable way but if you don't go that route it won't fit and you can't close the access hatch. I'll have to fly hand launch because no way could I snap in the landing gear (it just wouldnt go). Servo connectors will break unless you are spot on installing them after throw adjustment.Decals peeled off(or started to)about 20 min after they were installed. The wing with all its" maching marks" is a real joke. The circut board for the receiver would move back and forth in its case (no cure for that) I bought a Parkflyer spitfire that was head over heels above this piece of c**p. All foamies are not bad but this thing is beyond bad. Save your money and as always."you get what you pay for.I would not recommend it for a beginner. I mean firewall melting after a few flights, props coming off. Bypass this junk.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

That is not true that you always get what you pay for. There are alot of guys that are having plenty of problems with the Brand name planes Like Parkzone that cost a lot of money and still have problems. Don't get me wrong, Parkzone does make some nice planes, but they are not glitch free. I have 6 of them and have had problems with 3 of them.

I bought the AT-6 from Bananahobby and it is an EPO foamy and has been a very tough plane. I also upgraded it to brushless with said "Cheap Chinese Junk" from Hobbycity and it has been one of the best planes I have ever owned.

By the way, most of the expensive crap you buy in the US is MADE IN CHINA and branded with a name for the importers/distributors in the US.