Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Painting a foam aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 08:19 PM
davidtkal
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting a foam aircraft?

Could someone please tell me what paint will work for painting a foam GWS model. I know that enamels and lacquers are out. Please let me know, I hate to destroy my model before I fly it, thanks!
Old 01-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Jagzilla

Default RE: Painting a foam aircraft?

Acrylic paints. Krylon has a latex paint, called the H2O line of paints that works fine. I would think any Water based paints. Definintely do the test on a scrap piece of foam first! I've used testors and tamiya rattle cans as well, without problem.
J
Old 01-04-2006, 06:25 AM
davidtkal
My Feedback: (1)

Great! I'll have to check those out. Thanks for your reply!
Old 01-04-2006, 07:48 AM
AJ1202

Wal-Mart sells good paint for foam in the model section, it works good, but be forwarned when painting foam, paint it before you add any packing tape or your hinges if you use the tape hinge, I have painted a couple of mine and I find the paint scrapes off real easy from anything on the foam, if you have plastic like the cowl use regular paint or it will almost rub off. It's best to paint before you assemble the plane for best results. They also have the clear coat spray as well
Old 01-19-2006, 09:33 PM
airganism

You can use regular like krylon spray(lighter than water based)but the trick is to mist the first layer on as that allows most of the foam eat solvent to discipate and yet the paint still sticks good. I go about 15" from when doing this. Once the initil dry coat is dry...the second coat is barred from eating the foam...unless you(and DON'T)spray successive coat too wet. The solvent is the only problem and this method seems to work well and again the paint is lighter.

As far as not sticking to tape...true...water based acrs never will...BUT if you wipe over the tape with a green scotchbrite pad before pinting it it will take the paint. wipe till the gloss is gone.

I painted a zagi this way(epp) and it was fine. I tried it on regular(and even canned)foam and it worked fine as well. Light colors are your best bet as they require less paint and the white foam behind them gives you a nice brite result.
(: