Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Anyone fly the GWS A10?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 07:25 PM
superinstaller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone fly the GWS A10?

I have one sitting nearly ready to go, And have limited experience w/ a slow stick. How much experience do I need to keep this thing in the air ( A10s always look better in the air) ? What should I expect, and can you share any experience that might help?
Old 03-12-2006, 07:49 PM
clovus

Default RE: Anyone fly the GWS A10?

Try looking in the jets forum. I think there is a fair bit of info there.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Bevo

I'd get a little help from someone for the first flight. The A-10 flies really well. I test flew one last summer for a guy and it was a great flying plane. He didn't put the landing gear on the plane. It does really well with minimum throw and travel. The one I flew had the 350 brush motors in it. We used a three cell 2100 and three cell 1900 and they were great. Have someone else hand launch it for you. The plane can roll and loop if you have enough throw. The plane didn't seem to have any bad tendencies. Landed easily too. Have fun with it.

Bevo
Old 03-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Ashmanarion

I've been looking at the GWS A-10 myself. I've just started flying with an Aerobird Challenger but I love the look of the A-10 so much. I haven't bought my own transmitter or anything to start any kind of build with but if I did, it would be the A-10. I hope some more people share experiences about it. Something like the speed and control comparable to a stock Challenger maybe?
Old 03-12-2006, 10:51 PM
AJ1202

OK guys the A-10 is not a good plane for beginners, If you are building the stock version with the 300 motors, when ballanced it will fly nice and is fairly fast and it doesn't have real bad stall tendencies, BUT it is not the easiest plane to learn how to fly, it requires a real hard launch to get enough speed to stay airborn and I found you almost have to throw it up at an angle to get it launched, now don't get me wrong I loved mine right up to it's untimely death (RIP) and I have every intention of getting another one, but, for a begginer with little stick time, not the best idea. Go to the jet section and read up on the A-10 upgrade thread, lots of good info there
350 motor and lipo would be a great setup, 300 motors and lipo would be good but just suficiant for flight, no real reserve to be used, that was the downfall of mine, also reinforce everything, it is a fragile plane and breaks all over when crashed or even on hard landings sometimes
Good Luck, It is a great plane in the right hands
Old 03-13-2006, 12:28 AM
Ashmanarion

Are there any slow-flyer jets out there? I was under the impression that the A-10, at least the GWS version, was a rather slow-flyer. I'm more tempted by slow-flying jets rather than really fast ones that I know I can't control.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Bevo

When I flew the A-10 by GWS I thought the plane was pretty slow. Also if the plane is a little fast just bring your throttle down.

Bevo
Old 03-14-2006, 01:47 AM
gunracer

the stock a-10 (edf55-300) is slower flying than my e-flite p47 and pz p51...it is also lighter and glides better than the p51 and p47...it is a good entry level edf plane...
Old 03-14-2006, 07:11 AM
Ashmanarion

How well does it take a beating? Also, how good is the landing gear? I like the look of the plane without and I'm not able to takeoff and land much at the moment with where I'm flying.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:36 AM
gunracer

ash,

landing with or without gear causes stress on the forward part of the fuse, the nacelles and wings...reinforce her in these areas and she'll be ok...nice soft landings help...if you belly land, the contact areas are the gear pods under the wings and the bottom of the rudders...since the fuse and battery compartment sits above the gear pods, she'll always nose in...that's why she's set up as a trike...

i never got around to using landing gear...i crashed her on her fifth flight...i had plans to use modified gear...there's a good thread of this plane at rcgroups...for tips on building, upgrades and mods, check it out before you buy...
Old 04-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Shaffesn

I am an experienced pilot with more than 20 years flying. I purchased the A-10 w/EDF55 370 motors and the GWS Naro Flight pack-reciever and servos and recomended battery packs. First of all I followed the instuctions to the "T" using what they suggest. Bad Idea![] I was more than 6oz. over weight. Could not even get off the ground. Next problem More importantly, the receiver would not range check. 15 foot away it would start chattering. Called GWS and sent in to be checked. 1 month later they sent me a new receiver and crystal. Slight change, now I can get 30 ft. away on range check. I changed the battery pack to a 2c 1500mah LIPO. (still 3oz. over recommended weight) Helped my weight enough to barely get it off the ground and fly in a partial stall for 5 min. before deciding best to land the under powered POC. Next I ordered a 3c 1250 mah LIPO. Allot more power. Next flight It took off with good authority and immediately at about 75 ft. away lost reception and nosed down to its destruction. In my opinion GWS needs to rethink their power options and radio receivers before they have allot of unhappy flyers on their hands.[:@] In conclusion do not buy the complete set with the recommended accessories. Follow the forums and buy the slope kit and build your own!