Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

First Flight Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 12:22 PM
enjoymentboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Flight Questions

The title may be a bit misleading as this is not technically my first flight BUT....it will be the first one for close to 14 years and I've never flown anything this small or light before.

It's a Great Plains B.L.T (basic light trainer) and it's only got throttle , rudder and elevator and I'm used to (or used to be anyway) ailerons as well.

What sort of things should I be looking out for for it's and my maiden flight? The LAST thing I want to risk is a crash on the first time up. Especially in front of my neighbors and kids.

Thanks.

Enjoymentboy
Old 05-29-2006, 01:52 AM
gigelus2k3

Default RE: First Flight Questions

If it's anything like the GWS slow-stick, your BLT will fly very easily. In my opinion, there are three things that must be rigorously followed:
1) make sure that the CG is right. This thing should glide nicely with throttle off.
2) as I don't think it's capable of ROG nd you need to hand-launch, make sure you throw it firmly straight ahead and not up. The throttle should be at 3/4.
3) absolutely critical, do not fly if there's wind, even if just a breeze. Wait for a day when the air is completely still.

Good luck with your BLT maiden.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:03 AM
enjoymentboy

Default RE: First Flight Questions

Great!!!

Thank you very much for that. The GC is dead on according to the plans so don't expect that will be an issue. I'm pretty sure it can ROG but I plan to hand launch until I'm more familiar with it. I knew about "low" wind but I didn't realize it was that critical. Sort of makes sense considering just how light it is. That's what kept me from flying this past weekend. It was just to breezy here (8-15mph).

Enjoymentboy