Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Help me with my first airplane

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Help me with my first airplane

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 05:22 PM
ZT-inactive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me with my first airplane

Hello-

I'm a newbie to the world of RC aviaton. I'm an avid RC enthusiast. I currently run several different nitro RC car/trucks. I'm looking to get into RC flying, but don't want to dive right into a full-scale kit airplane. I'm currently an air traffic controller, I hold a current CFI & pilot's license, and I've flown alot of simulators (both RC and real aircraft), so aviaton basics are nothing new to me.

My biggest concern is I want an easy aircraft to start with, but want something I can grow into as well. I just want something to teach me the basics. I have a huge field right next to my house with a paved road running down the middle. I'll be going at this alone because I have such an odd work schedule that I can't get connected with any instructors/clubs in the area.

Unfortunately, I live in Kansas where a calm day is 10kts wind, which by the looks of things makes a big difference. [] What are your thoughts? Thanks for the input.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:33 PM
yoster

Default RE: Help me with my first airplane

By 10 kts I am assuming thats about 12mph. To cleanly cut through wind, you need decent power at the prop as well as a sportier plane. You can fly trainers, however you'll find that due to their design characteristics, they are actually a little twitchier than more advanced planes in wind (that has been my experience at least). While this is definately not a trainer plane, I know several people who have had the F-27B styker as their very first plane. It flies decently in wind (especially if you upgrade to an 8 or 9 cell battery) and can be easily repaired. If you DO choose to learn on it, BE PREPARED to make repairs! You WILL destroy the plane, and you must not let that get you down. Don't worry about keeping the plane good looking... this is your first plane and there will be tape all over it soon enough. If you have that mindset, and don't get all bent out of shape when you crash it and it doesn't look new anymore, then you'll be fine.

If you can find a place with little to no wind, there are several trainer planes out there that can be had for cheap. If you want room to improve, try and get a plane with aelerons/elevons.

Some people might suggest a more conservative plane, however if you're like me, you'll become quickly bored with them. I got bored with my challenger literally after about 2 or 3 weeks.. then I went to a sailplane.. which I still enjoy.. and now I fly 3d and my stryker.. a good balance of planes to keep me busy. Trust me, once you're hooked, you won't be satisfied with just one!
Old 06-03-2006, 08:02 PM
traxxboy

Pesonaly i would start of with a firebird. I dont know how the new ones are but I had a firebird xl and i moved form it to the stryker with no problem. (I have a gas trainer i flew while I was flying my firebird). Or the other great choice is the pz cub. The firebird cant handle much wind. Or you could start with a nitro trainer. I really like nitro airplanes. They can handle a bunch of wind compared to electrics. I had a kit trainer and got a firebird while i was putting the trainer together. In your case I think I would get something like a hanger 9 alpha arf or rtf trainer. Or something like that. or hanger 9's p-51 progressive trainer. That is a pretty good looking warbird and a trainer that you could also do aerobatics woth as you get better. Not much electric trainers could handle 10 knt winds comfertably.

Just my 1 cents worth
Old 06-03-2006, 09:46 PM
spicedcrab

my recommendation would be a gws e-starter it was my second plane but it handles so much better than my slow stick i learned much better on the e-starter. after i learned how to fly (was very easy with the e-starter) i then went to a mini super sportster which is a blast to fly, but not a good 1st plane, but after a while i didnt want to waist a good plane so i upgraded my e-starter with a hacker A30-s brushless, and 3 cell tp 1320 lipo, just to see what it would do, and wow! it a blast to fly again even though it was a beginner plane, once upgraded its a blast for the experianced pilot as well, it has so much power now that it can cut through almost any wind condition you can throw at it, it will climb straight up as far as you can see if you want it to, and if your a beginner just cut the throttle back and it will float at a snails crawl. very easy plane to fly but very fun too with the upgrades.

john
Old 06-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Leo L

As a beginner, you should avoid all wind, no matter what plane you select. The best times to fly, with the least amount of wind, is usually the first hour after sunrise and the last hour before sunset. There have been many days when there is virtually no wind when I start to fly at 6:00AM, but by 7:30 its too windy to fly.

Unquestionably the best planes to start with are the SloStick (ARF) and Slow-V (RTF). Their slow flying gives the new flyer plenty of time to figure out what control inputs are needed next, but the slow flying also makes them very reactive to windy conditions.

Other good beginner planes are the Aerobird Challenger, EasyStar, T-Hawk and SkyFly, but they fly considerably faster and require a lot more room, which I understand from your thread to not be a problem. Of these, the EasyStar can handle wind better than the rest.

The Stryker is a good plane for windy conditions, but it is not a good beginner's plane because it is very responsive, flies fast and is not self-stabilizing as a high wing beginner plane would be.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:41 AM
maiden-crash

Id agree with yoster,
The stryker is probably the best choice. It cuts through wind like a knife, and in windy conditions you need a more responsive plane. Imaging the wind blowing a trainer plane on its back, it simply would not be sensitive or responsive enough to pull out. Upgrade Once your done with the basics of the plane, Start doing aerobatics. You can change for a stronger battery for more speed or even a lipo when your ready. Ive had my stryker for two days now (second plane) and im already on high rates, rolling and looping the plane. I simply can not imagine getting bored of this plane as there is always something new to do (or learn). The durabilty of the plane is also simply amazing, Id say its nearly indestructible. Oh and, I find the stryker, even though its fast and sensitive, its still pretty stable in my opinion.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:09 PM
RC Robby

Hey guys, newbie here. After much review, I have pretty much convinced myself to purchase the EasyStar ARF for my first trainer. My reason is that it gives me more flexibility compared to the RTF version to customize the items I need. Could you guys look over this kit from Hobby-Lobby and tell me if its a good deal?

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/easystar.htm

From what I've read I should get an 8 cell NIMH 1150 mAh brick pack because it's more durable, will last longer, and have better C/G in the EasyStar. But the charger that comes with this kit will not work with this battery, right? So what do you guys recommend for battery and charger? Also, how much flight time can I expect from one battery? Should I get 2 batteries?

How about the transmitter? I should probably not invest in a computer radio at this point as I don't even know if I will like this hobby.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.