Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

looking for something to fly around in the yard

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

looking for something to fly around in the yard

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 07:21 PM
suitcase
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for something to fly around in the yard

I don't have much room. I need something that flys slow and can land on the driveway in about thirty feet. I'm looking at the E-Flite gypsy and using a 370 brushless system on it. Anyone experienced with it?
Old 09-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Pangaea1

Default RE: looking for something to fly around in the yard

ORIGINAL: suitcase

I don't have much room. I need something that flys slow and can land on the driveway in about thirty feet. I'm looking at the E-Flite gypsy and using a 370 brushless system on it. Anyone experienced with it?
Hey, can you RC a Frisbee?
Old 09-01-2006, 11:46 AM
darenm
My Feedback: (2)

What kind of flight are you looking for? Aerobatic, Glider, Wing? There's several that can be flown safely from your drive way. It all depends on what you want to do when you get up.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:54 AM
soarhead-RCU

My .02s
I still think the best off the shelf small area flier is the GWS Pico Tiger Moth. If you build it light and use lipos you can fly it in a small area and it will zip around trees and other objects in a large back yard or cul de sac. The down side is that it is a calm air or just a little breeze plane. With a 700ma lipo they will fly for a half hour plus. Not a beginners plane though as they are a little fragile but also a light plane doesnt crash as hard so its kind-of a trade off.
Good Luck in your search
Bob
Old 09-05-2006, 05:21 AM
sal37

I agree soarhead,

My friends and neighbors get a kick out of a little "barnstorming" show I do with my TM. I fly it "on the deck" popping up over bushes and small trees, narowly missing my house, turning around over the road, under wires, and flying inches over the dogs head. It slow, agile and remarkably durable. I have flown it into a stopsign with no damage. I dont have lipo power, can't loop it but still its a blast. It can turn inside an aero ace and if I have to put it down in a hurry, I just plunk it into a shrub.

Sal
Old 09-09-2006, 11:21 PM
drunkenbushman

are there any good planes that you can fly round your living room?

Ive seen a few very cool articles in Fly RC bout micro flight but they are quite expensive.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:25 PM
EvaderMaster

ORIGINAL: drunkenbushman

are there any good planes that you can fly round your living room?

Ive seen a few very cool articles in Fly RC bout micro flight but they are quite expensive.
There's nothing much in living room flyer these days.... One of the most common is the Plantraco Butterfly. Yet like you stated they don't come cheap. There's not much out there... I've seen the aero soarer, there about $20 off ebay. It's actually a great deal. It's a lrf with infra red control, and actuators.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:36 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

suitcase, have you tried an aero ace? I know it's only 2 channel, but if you do the single stir stick mod you can get it to fly pretty tight. In the right conditions I can get mine to flip turn. It is nearly indestructable, and can be flown in moderate winds. It's also only $30.00. I'm refering to the biplane model. The jet model is not as responsive. I fly my aces from my front porch. Range is between 100-300 feet, depending on throttle use 10-15 minutes of flight time. Check out the thread on electric indoor & micro fliers. Good luck, Tim
Old 12-16-2006, 09:52 PM
packyj

http://www.airmidimicros.com/AMMPlantracoMR.htm

this is another option. My brother is currently waiting on a receiver back from these guy as his needed replacing... haven't seen it up in the air yet but it looks promising
Old 12-17-2006, 09:18 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Packyj, I keep thinking that I should order one of those planes. Then put Aero Ace gear on it. Is that what your brother plans to do? Or is he using the plantraco gear? I'm thinking about buying their gear, but if it is not easily transferable or unreliable, I will think about other options. Tim

sal 37, I doubt you can turn inside a stir stick mod Aero Ace. But that is the inventer of the mods coming out of me. Tim
Old 12-17-2006, 10:03 PM
packyj

He's got the plantraco gear at the moment, aa guts is a good idea and the airframe would probably do just fine with it... not sure about using thrust vector steering on it but i can't imagine anything detrimental with that idea
Old 12-19-2006, 10:11 PM
Acer

Take a look at the Mini SpeedWing EX. That is just the type of area I designed this wing for. It can fly at a fast walk and doesn't stall, even with huge control throws (I set mine at about 80 degree deflection).

Check out the video on my videos page: http://www.speedwing.net/videos.php

-- Acer
http://speedwing.net
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87840.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	580408