Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

MM Magpie question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 08:38 PM
walkercr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MM Magpie question

I am ordering my first plane, and need some help. I have been getting free lessons from a co-worker using his planes, and have decided it is definitely a hobby I want to continue with. I can fly the slow stick with no troubles and am getting the hang of the aileron trainer.

I am planning on ordering a Mountain Models Magpie and am looking for recommendations on what electronics to use.

I am starting from scratch so I need everything:
Motor, ESC, Prop, Batteries, Radio, Receiver, etc.

The web site recommends:
Minimum Power
GWS EPS350C-C
9x7 propeller
9.6V 650 KAN NiMH Battery

More Power
100+ Watt Brushless Motor (Geared stick-mount or Outrunner
3S 800+ MAh LiPo

3 Servos (GWS Picos, HS 55, or similar)

I definitely want to get parts that I can use on my next plane as well. I was thinking of going with a brushless setup with LiPo's, but not sure which to get.

I want something that will have ample power when I switch to the sport wing, have good flight time (10+ minutes) and be durable.

Anyone have any suggestions on combo's they have tried and like or do not like??

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:31 PM
iflyatcae

Default RE: MM Magpie question

Right now, I fly mine mostly for aerial photography sorties. It can fly for a good 10-15 minutes of powerful flying. My specs:

motor: 400xt from hobby-lobby.com $20 (when on sale)
esc: 18amp cheapo around $30
prop: 8x4 gws
bat: 2100mah 3s, also about to start using cheapo 3s 1350mah $25 each
servos: bms 371 $13 each
rx: hitec 555

I also fly with a zlog alitmeter from hexpertsystems.com. Its an awsome little jig that lets me know how high I have gotten. To date, my record is 2,201ft. I use a little aiptek 1.3 cam, and love everything.

If you need more specifics, just ask. Or building questions. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:25 AM
jr05

The magpie is a great plane (will be a good starter plane and still fun to fly later). As far as the setup, first off, I would suggest the dual wing package with both the sport wing and the SF wing as you can use the sport for fun flying and then the SF for photography if you would like.

For power, I agree with your thoughts of going brushless, as you will most likely switch soon if you go brushed and just waste money. As far as the combo to get, do not waste a lot of money on expensive motors to start, crashing and ruining a pricey motor is going to suck. I would recommend getting a descent brushless esc and then go with a cheap motor such as the balsa products cd-rom motors. They are roughly $15 and will outperform the recommended brushed motors. You can always upgrade the motor later and not worry about needing a new ESC and such as you would with a brushed setup. Balsa Products sells motor/esc combos at a pretty good price, I would look into that to start.

BP-12 motor (or get the BP-21, either will work)
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...97&pid=U635171
Look at the combo with the BP-12 or -21 motor and the thunderbird 18 speed controller (cheap and should be sufficient)

as far as batteries go, get some three cell 1500 or 2100 lipos (or 8 cell NIMH as recommended by MM...either the kan 650/1050) Lipos are great as long as you have the proper charger/knowledge. To start, go with the cheapo 1350 lipos ifly is thinking of getting, at $25 they are about as cheap as an 8cell kan1050 pack.

Hope this helps....
Old 09-11-2006, 03:38 PM
bbog100

The Magpie is one great plane, really enjoy it. I have tried different combos of motors and props and this is what works best for me without breaking the bank. Have no problem flying on windy days. I use the same conbo for my Magpie AP

Motor: SK400xt
ESC: Dynam 18amp
Prop: 9x4 APC
Bat: 3s 1350mah
RX: Hitec 05S