Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Eflite Ascent - good enough to thermal?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Eflite Ascent - good enough to thermal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eflite Ascent - good enough to thermal?

Hi,

I've been thinking about getting the E-flite Ascent ARF and hooking it up with my BP-21 motor and lipo to see if I can thermal/soar off power at high atitudes. It's only about $65 at my lhs compared to the other $150+ larger "real" thermal ARF ships and so that's my main reason to find out more about it.

Is it an "able" thermalling/soaring plane? I've only just managed to soar and perhaps thermal with my Slo-V but it's not exactly designed to fly fast and get up to altitude like other planes.

If anyone has some experience with the Ascent I'd appreciate some feedback as to its flight characteristics within the "soaring/thermalling" context, or any pros and cons you may have to share.

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:03 AM
highflyer65

Default RE: Eflite Ascent - good enough to thermal?

Take a look at the easy glider elec. it's real easy to fly I've had it up so long my neck hurt.Let me tell ya those Germans know how to build a glider.www.hobby-lobby.com carries it and it's Elapor foam so if ya ding it it's easy to fix.Just my 2 pennies
Old 10-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Thanks for the heads up! I think one of my lhs' may have that. Is that made by Multiplex by any chance? In fact, I *think* I've actually seen it at the lhs. [8D]
Old 10-09-2006, 06:43 AM
highflyer65

Yes the easy glider is by multiplex. You can buy it as a glider or power glider.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:59 AM
joystix

I just got the Eflite Ascent. It built really fast and I love the fact that the frame is made of fiberglass and not plastic. I installed a 125wt brushless on 2 cell 1350mah and it flies amazing for a smaller type E-Glider. And yes it thermals easily. It was 70 degrees here in the bay area today and I found 3 good thermals that kept me up on one climb for about 45 minutes. My total flight was an hour and 20 minjutes with only 4 climbouts. It also packs easily too because the wing is bolt on and it comes apart into two pieces. Hope this helps.

Ric
Old 01-12-2007, 12:31 PM
jmtdmt
My Feedback: (1)

I just built my Ascent right now still running the stock motor with the smaller prop and a 2S LiPo. Looking forward to going BL when the brushed motor dies. Did all the recommended mods as described in the various threads. For the price is is a good flying glider and it thermals just fine.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:55 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Hey thanks for sharing your experience.

I was thinking of installing the BP-21 motor in it for cheap, using either my 2s TP 1900 or the smaller 3s 910 for some punch. The 2s 1900 mah should work better for longer flights though I think (if I can fit it). Firberglass is great, I'm kinda relectunt to mess with woodies for now since my 2 Mini Super Sportsters crashed.

An hour and 20 minutes huh? Wow my crummy 600mah radio batteries would probably die before the plane comes down! Never mind my neck...

I was thinking about the GP Fling, but then it doesn't seem to be designed for a motor so I wasn't too keen on "flinging" it only to have it launch wrong and nose in real good or something, nevermind that it wouldn't really go that high with out a motor to help it.