Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone Supermarine Spitfire Mk11B

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone Supermarine Spitfire Mk11B

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 08:25 AM
AETCBoom4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone Supermarine Spitfire Mk11B

ORIGINAL: astro1111

Hey, there. I looked at this motor and its 28.2 mm wide. How does it fit in the standard gear box? It is also almost 50 grams heavier than the Align 430L. I love the price but is this a Bit@# to put in.
The motor is comparable in wt to my Aon 2815 about a 1/2 oz heavier. The can size is comparable to a E-flite 6 series. The lip in the GB will have to be ground down slightly. A 5 minute job with a dremel tool, well worth it for the price compared to a 6 series.

Regarding wt, my Spit flew great with the Aon motor, even though it may appear heavier than the Align motor. One must be careful in picking a motor that is to light or run the risk of having an aft CG. To counteract that you would have to add weight in the nose outweighing the benefits of a lighter motor.

I'm curious to see how much the stock brushed motor weighs. In a hand to hand wt comparison the Aon was lighter than the stock brushed motor.

In theory, this motor should work.

Gunracer, what is your opinon?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:57 AM
gunracer

the only thing that concerns me is the 28.2mm size...that extra .2mm could make the motor not fit the gb and/or prevent proper gearmeshing...it being .77 oz heavier than an ef 6 motor shouldn't be an issue in the spit...in the stock gb with the stock prop, expect the setup to draw approx 35 amps producing approx 350 watts...it's definitely a lot of power...but way overkill for the spit's airframe if you ask me...your flight times will be about 4-5 mins with a 2100 mah pack...if you go with this setup, again, make sure your esc and batt pack are at least rated for 40a...hope this helps...
Old 06-05-2007, 01:10 PM
AETCBoom4

Is this comparable with what your Mustang gets. The 6 series motor is also a 2700kv. My 3000KV Aon gets at least 10 min a with some throttle management. The can size could be an issue, but only way to find out is to try one. At $19.95 it would be a relatively cheap experiment.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:45 PM
gunracer

5 min flight time is based on 25a average draw with a 2100 mah batt...to get a 10 min flight out of the same batt, your average amp draw would be 12.6...12.6a will still get you about 125-140 watts which is ok for the light spit airframe...by the way, i never fly my models to lvc intentionally...to keep my electronics healthy, i try not to go beyond 75-80% of their rated capabilities...

what's the shipping cost on that motor?...
Old 06-05-2007, 06:06 PM
AETCBoom4

Gun,

The shipping costs is a good question. I believe it would be coming from overseas. I 've heard good things regarding their small outrunners and lipo's. I got this info from a guy here who builds light foamies.

The weight of the motor might make it a good choice for the FW-190. With the added weight one may be able to ditch the weighted prop nut.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:11 PM
astro1111

As for as the Align motor goes I NEVER use full throttle. I hand toss at 50% and may go vectical at 75-80%. The best thing is that it fits like a glove! I'm ordering DN 20C 2150mah batteries from www.readyheli.com for $90 a pair. That takes care of any stress in the battery but like i said I work the throttle and get ~12 min.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:41 PM
heartofmadnes

I will have some pics this weekend on here during flight, the retracts work sweet I used futaba micro servors cut into the wings a little. I hand launched it the other day then switched to low rate and there are the retracts.. I have some pics of the actual work, I will upload tonight. tell you what I was a little paraniod first doing this , taking an exacto to such a pretty plane.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:57 PM
traxxboy

I might have to try this
Old 06-06-2007, 03:25 AM
astro1111

Can you tell me if you have used the items that you recommended from Unitedhobbies in a parkzone gearbox??? If so, were there any problems. It would be worth a try for $20 plus they seem to have a nice value 2200 maH Lipo, too.

Astro

ORIGINAL: AETCBoom4

ORIGINAL: jet-boat

My spit is on its way..ups needs to hurry up!.. I am looking at those tower pro combos at unitedhobbies... will any of them be worth a damn for the spit? These BL numbers havnt sunk in yet. I have 4 channel lab scopes and fluke meters and can fix a broke down computer controlled gas engines but after work trying to consume all this info on a worn out brain seems challenging. I dont need alot of speed a little more than stock would be nice but mostly I would like more flight time and some more pulling power. What do ya think?
Is your Spit the ARF or RTF version? If it is an RTF version all you need to do is swap out the motor for a BL inrunner. After looking at United's website, the tower pro combos are outrunners. If you plan on going to an outrunner, you'll have to construct custom motor mount.

You could just go inrunner and use the stock GB. If this is the case, you will need a 28mm can sized BL motor (3000 KV or lower), a 25-40 amp ESC (based on the KV of your motor) and a 32P 12 T pinion 3.2 mm pinion gear. Of course, a good 3s 2100 mah lipo battery and charger.

From United's website
Motor:[link]https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4201[/link]
ESC: [link]https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2164[/link]
Pinion: [link]http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=RRP0120[/link]

Hope this helps

Old 06-10-2007, 05:01 AM
zzz12

Can some one put some pic of the inside of the spitfire stock set up plz. I had a bad crash today a head on with a mustang in the air. Wish i had a video of it. lost the wing,body The mustang is dead for good to. []
Old 06-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Geurin
My Feedback: (1)

Anyone know what the col of this plane is? Thanks Drue
Old 06-11-2007, 12:20 PM
schatztf

Would this work in the stock gear box? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLWX9&P=0

This is the ESC I plan on using: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLA1025
Here is the battery: http://www.xushobby.com/servlet/Detail?no=204

Would this setup work? What prop should I use? Could I use a four blade?

I am a newb at brushless setups, so thanks for the help!!
Old 06-11-2007, 12:32 PM
gunracer

schatztf,

all the components you listed will work in the stock gb and with the stock prop...the only other item you'll need is a 12t 32p pinion gear...traxxas makes one which you can get from horizon...you can probably save 50% on the motor, esc and batt if you shop around...
Old 06-11-2007, 12:42 PM
schatztf

Thanks Gunracer!! I have the batteries and ESC laying around. I just need the motor, I'll do some moer digging today,

Again Thanks!!

Terry
Old 06-11-2007, 10:01 PM
XxOoCoBrAoOxX

Hey guys I need some serous help. I was looking through hobby-lobby and saw this plane, the p51-Mustang [link=http://hobby-lobby.com/p51_marie.htm]http://hobby-lobby.com/p51_marie.htm[/link] and am really interested in ordering me one. I would like to know if I should buy the Motor, Esc, Battery, that is recomended for it? I really wanted to build me a warbird for quite sometime. If you would like to pm me and tell me what I should do that would be cool.

Thanks
-Adisn
Old 06-11-2007, 11:03 PM
gunracer

schatztf,

with a four blader, you'll probably need to use an 8x8x4 to keep the amps roughly the same as with the stock prop...you may gain in thrust but lose some speed...btw, with any 28mm inrunner, you'll need to ream or dremel out the gearbox to accept it...read through the thread for more info...good luck...
Old 06-11-2007, 11:25 PM
jet-boat

Finally got my spit and first maiden was good .... except the outside loop a little too low, piled in to the tall grass . Just a cracked cowl, broken prop and spinner. My question is, which way do you check cg? Upside down? I ask because I read in another forum that warbirds are checked upside down. Any suggestions on reinforcing the nose would be good also. I was thinking about glassing the inside.

hey xxoocrboaooxx, check wattflyers warbird forums and also rcgroups... prolly some posts in rcu also. I read the alpha p-51 stock is slow w/ alot of torque, flys really sweet. There is another alpha warbird that is really nice and comes w/ retracts... Those retracts might fit in the spit?? I havnt read anything bad about the alpha warbirds yet... Lots of positive stuff. Goodluck!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:21 AM
schatztf

ORIGINAL: gunracer

schatztf,

with a four blader, you'll probably need to use an 8x8x4 to keep the amps roughly the same as with the stock prop...you may gain in thrust but lose some speed...btw, with any 28mm inrunner, you'll need to ream or dremel out the gearbox to accept it...read through the thread for more info...good luck...

Thanks again, I appreciate the help!!
Old 06-24-2007, 08:23 PM
traxxboy

anyone put retracts on it yet? Did heartofmadness post pics yet? Thank you
Old 07-01-2007, 11:18 AM
jnaarnold
My Feedback: (4)

Can someone tell me if there is a way to increase the roll rate? I already have the control rod in the top hole. I am flying with a 2100 11.1 LiPo...thanks.
J
Old 07-01-2007, 10:09 PM
gunracer

are you on the high rates?...
Old 07-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Wild Willie

Semper-Fi VMFA-115 1971
Just thought I'd throw that in for a Hello
I think I have gotten one of the first Spitfires available in the States and want to share with you all after reading this forum.
It's a GREAT plane especially with a Li-Po battery. It's by far the easiest Parkzone plane to fly and I've gone though most all of them. J3, Decathlon, P-51, Fw-190 and even the Hobbyzone Supercub.
The Spit has it all, sturdy construction, High speed flights and slow flight ability for low passes.
For a plane with no gear, it will glide in so gently, so slow, it just drifts in where you want it.

I enjoyed reading this forum from page one to the end.. seems like a nice place to visit.

Hope you don't mind me getting in and sharing.

http://www.vimeo.com/204576
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65600.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	726920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75674.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	726921  
Old 07-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Wild Willie

One of the things I have done is added a longer control arm to the aileron servo, this gave me a little faster roll rate.
Also with a Li-po, I can do outside loops and it will climb straight up, for a short spell anyhow
I am by far no expert at this, but do like to share experiences.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:14 PM
declank

Can someone please give me a clue on how to put a new gearbox in the Spitfire? (Pic would be nice)

I had a bad frontal crash after just getting it, so didn't get to note how the gearbox/prop bits are put together.

Asked Parkzone if they had instructions but they said NO.

Many thanks in advance,
Old 07-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Wild Willie

Gearbox installation is fairly easy..
Just screw it to front of firewall with 4 screws making sure prop shaft is at top and motor is on the bottom.
You have the 4 long screws that go on the OUTSIDE holes of gearbox and in the gearbox bag you purchased are 2 short screws for mounting the motor.
Good luck and enjoy your plane.
It is a lot easier to do than you may think [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59515.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	727052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41546.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	727053  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.