Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

park flyers and wind problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 10:46 AM
Access

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default park flyers and wind problems

I have a custom-built 'slow stick' built from the GWS kit (3-channel, brushless motor, 6-cell NIMH). When it comes to actually flying, I'm a beginner, I've flown pleanty of 'realistic' simulations of models and real planes, but every real flight I've had has ended in a crash. I was told this was the best type of plane as a 'trainer' since it is relatively inexpensive and parts are easily replaced.

The big problem in my area is the constant 5-10mph winds we have blowing in from the coast. I have no problems flying directly into or out of the wind, the plane has pleanty of power, but when I fly crosswind the plane has a tendency to roll and lose control. Most commonly it will do a full 180 degree roll and end up heading straight for the ground.

I can't change the wing dihedral angle since the plane has no ailerons.

Am I learning on the right type of plane, considering that my area has these types of winds? Is there anything I can do in terms of mods / design things or flying to avoid or negate the problem I have with crosswinds?
Old 11-21-2006, 01:37 PM
Russel-RC

Default RE: park flyers and wind problems

its fine the winds are heavey for that plane the plane is like a kite any wind will take it though if you go cross wind hold the rudder opposite to give it stability or fly it in laps where most the the time you are going with or against the wind
Old 11-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Leo L

The SloStick is considered to be one of the best beginner planes, provided that you fly it in virtually no wind. As you have found out, the plane does not like wind at all. You have three basic options: 1) Find a time when there is virtually no wind. In most areas, sunrise is the best time. I know that most people don't want to get up that early, but give it a try. 2) Get a plane that is beginner friendly and can handle the wind. The two best choices that I can think of are the SuperCub and the EasyStar. 3) Get a different wing and a more powerful motor for your plane. Two flyers at my field have modified their SloSticks with different wings. One uses the wing frlm a Beaver, while the other uses a wing from the Graupner Mini-Piper. The planes are not as beginner friendly, but can certainly handle the 5 mph wind that you have. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:51 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

It's gonna be tough to learn with that breeze. It's possible but will force you to hone your skills more from the get go. Flying perpendicular to the breeze definitely forces you to compensate... and can throw you a curveball when you least expect it and you better know how to compensate. I augered my stryker into the ground from roughly 100ft when a gust rolled my plane hard and unexpectedly and I wasn't familar enough to know how to compensate to keep it on it's intended path or correct it.

If you can drive inland a little ways or find an area with trees that would block some wind while you get some flying time that would help to build your skills. Stating the obvious here but knowing which way the wind is coming from and how to compensate when it rolls you will help keep control vs losing it. I imagine it's possible to fly in those winds with your plane but will be a bumpy ride. Kinda the nature of light-weight electric planes.

somegeek
Old 11-21-2006, 02:05 PM
netdudeuk

Or you could look for an indoor venue ! The SS will handle that sort of speed quite well if you have the right skills and don't have it gusting in different directions all the time. I had a brushless SS on the final and in a split second it was facing the opposite way LOL

Once you can do it indoors maybe it's ok to try again outdoors ? You could then have maximum throws to allow you to quickly correct against the gusts.

Maybe some more weight would be useful ?
Old 11-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Access

Thanks. I looked at both a Super Cub and an Easystar but they are both RTF. Is there anything out there that would make a good trainer in my wind conditions but would allow me to use my own servos and electronics? That's what I like about the GWS slow stick.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:06 PM
scoooper

what you got is sea breeze, around here 45 min before sunset the temp's equle out and go still till the evening land breeze comes around, anyhoo, early-morn till 900am or so it comes back ( been sail'in for 48 years) try an aerobird 3 ch, Vee tail your stuck with Access: the guts but I think you'll like her so much like me you'll want to keep her " as is" for a while, had mine for a few years an love her ( you can roll her loop an do inelmans too!!!!) I fly mine in up to 12-15Kn's and she penatrates well as she'll do a trun of speed, here's a pix's of a kid in my youth fly'in club the MULLET MAURADERS tool'in round whith the aerobrid, best luck an keep her up! your bub, scoooper
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43014.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	564541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24782.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	564542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93479.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	564543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30804.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	564544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn77702.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	564545  
Old 11-30-2006, 09:35 AM
hawk3ye

Yeah I had a tough time with wind when I first flew my SLo-V actually...the plane was a lot more easier to manage in windy conditions when I gave it a 1180 prop and a 7 cell battery upgrade though, the 6 cell and stock prop i usually reserve for windless flight but even then that particular setup just makes simple loops and what not impossible.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:15 PM
gigelus2k3

Access,

The SlowStick can handle some wind if you start modding it. Cutting the wing tips at the last rib will improve dramatically its wind handling; with this mod, it will be capable to fly OK in 5-10mph steady breezes without the plane looking like a kite.

Also, are you sure it's not underpowered? A 6-cell NiMH pack is very little for a brushless (and even brushed) setup.

Serban
Old 12-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

5 to 10 mph constant wind is a tuff nut. I am not sure you will be able to find a nice slow, small electric trainer using your hardware.

This is a common problem with small electrics and one of the things that drove me to flying gas planes. Another reason was no place to fly (no park availability) and cost. So, I picked up a slightly damaged, used gas trainer (Avistar), complete with engine, servos, radio, battery, charger and transmitter for $100, joined a flying club for another $100 and took off from there. 5 - 10 mph winds are no big deal for 40 size gas planes.

OK - but this is the electric forum - I still fly electrics because they are very portable and easy to just throw out there, that is, on days with little wind. Once Fall hits you can pretty much forget it where I live; however, there is a group of guys in the club that flys indoors in the winter. I am very much in favor of flying clubs - they can be very beneficial, you are not alone in enjoying the hobby or in solving problems. I also appreciate when you first get into this hobby how expensive everything seems. That first day in the hobby store when I bought my GWS Tiger Moth was a shock.

One plane I have seen handle the wind pretty well is the shock flyers - which really surprised me, but I do not think they are trainers.

Good Luck!
Old 12-03-2006, 06:05 PM
patnchris

The E-Flight Mini UltraStik can handle some wind......While I wouldn't call it a trainer, it is not all that hard to fly.....You can use your TX and reciever.....And if you buy the PNP version that's all you'll need.....Planes that can handle wind will have a symetrical or semi symetrical wind configuration and will normally fall into the catagory of Sport or Aerobatic ...another is the UltraFly Cessna 182.....This plane comes with two wings.....one has stock dihedral while the other is somewhat flat......The one with the dihedral is the trainer wing. It is a foamie, and is quite tough.....It also comes with a souped up version brushed motor that can handle 3 cell lipo batteries, if you want to upgrade the performance.....I know I guy who flys one as his only plane. It flys well, does stunts, and even flys inverted, and he's stilll using the trainer wing.....The landing gear is kindda wimpy, though.....He removed it and installed a couple layers of packing tape on the belly. Now he only hand launches and belly lands........Pat
Old 12-07-2006, 12:51 PM
dangilello

I had similar problems with my Megatech Merlin.
Try moving the center of gravity a little toward the nose.
(Move the battery up, or add weight.)
Then retrim the elevator with some extra "up".
Old 12-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Brewerpaul

One consolation: steady wind is easier to handle than gusty wind!
I'm getting pretty good at flying my SS in a breeze, but when it gets gusty, it's time to stay home.