Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Upgrade a Cox warbird ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 07:33 PM
Team Fine Design

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade a Cox warbird ???

Bought one for my"uhemhm son for Christmas.Charged up the pack,Broke in the motor (no prop)Motor never got hot.88 degrees.Charged the battery on my 350 dollar schultz.Pointed her in the wind (Corsair).3 launches 3 crashes 3 broken props.Wont get out of its own way.Beautiful little plane though.I figure since he lost interest with it I got clear dibs on guttin her out and turning it into a real plane !!!.No seriously any body had any experience with these planes.For 30 bucks at Wall mart.Hell its almost worth just to buy the palnes and gut them out.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:33 PM
packyj

Default RE: Upgrade a Cox warbird ???

absolutely... these planes are spectacular. all you need to do is dump the nimh battery and find a nice 2 cell 300-800 mah battery put the weight as far forward as you possibly can and enjoy the flight... these planes can be a little dodgy especially with the rudder elevator setup... there are a couple of threads on here about how to add ailerons and i would suggest it immensely...

I just put a 180 heli motor in to replace the stock 130... a lot of people have gone the johnson 250 route which is really really inexpensive from bphobbies.com... they're boasting vertical flight but the 180 seems to give enough juice to make these a real blast to fly
Old 12-28-2006, 08:35 PM
packyj

also if you opt out of using the stock props a gws 4x2.5 prop swings very well on these birds with a prop adapter
Old 12-29-2006, 06:57 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Rather then buying em as a kit buy them direct from Cox, that way you get the bird only and it's $20.00.

Fun little birds, mine runs with stock motor/prop. But I like you gutted mine and added ailerons, and eliminated the rudder. A lipo makes a world of difference.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:31 AM
Team Fine Design

Arrrhg,Im sorry guys.Its not the Cox plane.It is the Estes plane.It comes ready to fly.It is a 2 channel with an actuator on the rudder.It comes witha bungee cord and is supposed to charge off of the radio.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:20 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cox is owned by Estes.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:41 AM
Team Fine Design

Thanks and yes I know But they seem to have a different product line.Allthough the plane looks the same on the outside as i said before.It is only two channel throttle and rudder.And the rudder just flips from side to side usinga n actuater instead of a servo.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Glacier Girl

That's ok, mine was a converted Este's. I have the P47.
It had the silly actuated rudder, I removed it and built a new rudder. Added elevator and ailerons to it.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Glacier Girl

Here's where we converted them. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11503

And here's mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60185.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	585965