Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Badius Owners Club (CONTINUED)

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Badius Owners Club (CONTINUED)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 10:11 PM
gunfighterII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Badius Owners Club (CONTINUED)

Pat,
Your doing just fine. I think your ready to try another outside loop.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:17 PM
RayRay

Hey there ALL Badius Boys,

It may be a little late but HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!
I haven't posted here in a while. For the guys that don't me, I'm one of the original Badius Boys from the original Badius thread. The original guys here know me as "Rabbid". This was a nickname that Loubud gave me a few years ago because of the way I fly (I think).

Brent - you definately out did yourself with the video. I really enjoyed it and the music was just perfect for it. Thanks.

Glad to see all the "old" guys are still here and a big welcome to the new guys that joined.

"Rabbid"

Old 01-03-2007, 10:20 PM
ktaylor

I don't even wanna know what you been thinking about there Pat.

Hey, Mac, we can get your Eagle electrified for around $250 without the battery packs. Then if you go brent's route & the route that I'm seriously considering, getting the Dewalt battery packs & making them into flight packs, you'll need another $225. this motor is sized for a 22lb plane,,, very similar to Brent's motor, just a little bigger. https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=3890
Old 01-03-2007, 10:22 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Pat, I was just confirming what I think I know. I think the redhawk is set up for it's own tx. A proprietary thing. I guess I could take it apart and view the electronics. For neg shift is that indicated by tape color or anything else on the crystal?

Ken, I assume I shouldn't invite you to my shop. If you get blisters from a soldering iron a MIG or TIG welder might cause major burns. Sorry, I'm a bit disappointed about the plane/controller thing. I am thinking of ordering the whole shebang tonight.

Badii, I'm thinking of ordering an SS tonight. I have Pat's old, but fantastic and new to me, radio rig. I would like your recommendations rather than Tower's. Please give me your input on batteries and charger, on servos, and on anything else I need. But don't know about.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:25 PM
djnsayne
My Feedback: (2)

Yeah the motor was still spinning even after I landed. Hell it was spinning when I turned the radio off all together. I am going to try to return it to Castle Creations at some point in time
Old 01-03-2007, 10:30 PM
patnchris

Tim,
I can't give any recommendations on an SS......I actually never had one.......I was a Slo-V guy......not a bad plane, but I don't recommend it....Pat
Old 01-03-2007, 10:36 PM
djnsayne

Fern,
If you are thinking of getting an SS you would probably want to get the 400 version instead of the 300. The 400 version has a slightly upgraded motor and the price of the two are the same. So far as batteries, lots of people use the Parkzone 7-cell batteries made for the stryker as they are fairly cheap and work well. The esc is a fairly easy choice as all you need is one that will handle 10-15 amps I think. Someone correct me if I am wrong
Old 01-03-2007, 10:37 PM
patnchris

Mac,
I was doing vertical figure 8's at the field, last Saturday, with my Mini Ultra Stik......Does that qualify as an outside loop???..............Pat
Old 01-03-2007, 10:43 PM
afineman

djnsayne

I'm SORRY but I need to disagree with your suggestion

The 400 motored Slow Stick requires a higher voltage batteries ( more attuned to a 3 cell lipo).

In my opinion a Slow Stick with a 300 motor will fit the needs and supplies of the first time 3 ch fly-er.

Well that is my opinion any ways

Brent

PS. Ray Ray thanks for the thumbs up on the video
Old 01-03-2007, 10:43 PM
patnchris

That was just before I skimmed the ground so fast, I tore the landing gear off, and kept on flying....LOL
Old 01-03-2007, 10:45 PM
djnsayne

since you have many more posts than I have, I conceed to your opinion
Old 01-03-2007, 10:57 PM
Stingray69

Ferndale,

This may help in some way

http://sandiego.rchomepage.com/build.html

Get the slope glider version (no motor) and go brushless / lipo

Sray
Old 01-03-2007, 11:05 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

OK, smallest SS, probably 300. Take towers suggestions. Go with nimh for now. Pass it forward later if I switch to lipo.

Pat, here are pic's of the offending plane. A part of me wants to send it flying frrom the Centerville cliffs back to China, I won't do that but it has annoyed me several times now.

I'll try to post a pic of the trimmed out lighted Ace as well. Tim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19564.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	590246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48082.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	590247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43240.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	590248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46926.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	590249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg54301.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	590250  
Old 01-03-2007, 11:11 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Silly question time, Slope glider over flat land? And what exactly is brushless, I've assumed that is a high rev motor like my micro's, but am I correct? For those of you wondering thats clean stuff. No dirty laundry here. Tim
Old 01-03-2007, 11:16 PM
afineman

Dude

Don't yield just because I have more posts than U, if U believe something, say SO.

Remember, this thread was NOT founded on 1 person opinion but was founded on the many, if we differ, then we debate, we DON'T yield just because someone has more posts.

I ( because of my passion) have caused this (and other) threads to be shut down ( for the seniors SM55 and FreakAzoide), I took the stance I did because they were *****es.

I can be wrong, I don't know EVERYTHING, Please don't let the future reader dismiss a Slow Stick 400 because you yielded

Just a thought

Brent
Old 01-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Brewerpaul

FWIW-- I have a stock 400 speed SS with NiMH and I like the way it flies just fine. I'm getting 12-15 min flights (If I fly it up high and do a fair amount of gliding). I have a slope version sitting in the box which will eventually get built with brushless and LiPO, but for now I'm happy with the stock one.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:23 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Brent, I was looking at 300's anyway. I figure I can always get a bigger motor. And the offending plane is either a 360 or 380 motor. I will say that I know what my follow on plane will be. A nano bipe. It will perform in a small ballfield. I have one of those a 5 minute walk away. Tim
Old 01-03-2007, 11:41 PM
djnsayne

If you get the 300, make sure that you get an ESC that is rated for more amps than you need. SO that when, not if , you upgrade the motor, you will not have to purchase another ESC
Old 01-03-2007, 11:49 PM
five-string

Hey all. fivestring here, or Mark. Fivestring has been my CB name for 20+ years, as I play a banjo among other instruments.

I am an avid fan of flying wings mostly. I love my Stryker, and I have spent a lot of time on the Mugi, a homemade foamy delta wing. I guess that is my niche.

My profession is truck driver which allows me to travel up and down the East coast and that allows me to meet and fly with several of these fine gentlemen. I'm a lucky guy.

Terry, I will call you tomorrow evening as I hit the highway headed for your area. I have the heli in the truck. Get 6 AA batteries ready. I suggest rechargeables. You're gonna love this Picco. I broke one of my main rotors off after crashing into the kitchen counter. I was launching it from my hand at about a 45° angle. It takes off like a rocket and then does a 'pendulum swing turn around' and comes right back. One launch was a little too low. A piece of tape fixed the rotor and a matching piece on the other wing for weight and it's back to normal. Too fun!

GG, glad you're having a good time. My German Shepherd is a rather viscious looking critter and he scoots from the room every time I fly.

Got my new JGF 400DF motor today but didn't have time to mount it on a Mugi yet. This thing should rock-n-roll. I spent the day burning up milsurp ammo.

Here's a picture of me flying a Mugi at my home 'field' and a self portrait using my cell phone camera.

Name:	Ay73364.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	590284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48996.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	590285  
Old 01-03-2007, 11:57 PM
ktaylor

Fern, I can handle a Mig welder just fine, I have a 220volt 180 amp Mig in my garage & a 480volt 3 phase Miller at work, plus a 480 volt Hobart 200 amp Stick welder at work too. Not to mention oxy-aceteleyne. I just had a problem for a while there with soldering. Seemed like no matter how carefull I was I would always slip & get my hand with the soldering iron or do something stupid like grab something I had just soldered together. I do stupid stuff all the time when I'm working on my planes. I've managed to stab myself with a x-acto, run a drill bit into my hand, glue my fingers together, blisters, more blisters, lots of cuts, more blistres. I even managed to get a blister on my lip when I was trying to blow on a wire connector I had just soldered on & got it too close to my mouth. Umm,, I think you get the idea, when I work on my planes I become majorly accident prone.
You asked what a brushless motor is. It's not a higher reving motor, it's just a more effecient design than a brushed motor. You can get brushless motors with really low rpms. The motor I have in my pylon racer has a kv rating ( how many rpms it will turn with each volt applied) of 700. The average 300 or 400 sized brushless motor (same size physiacally as a brushed 300 or 400) can have a KV range from 800 up to 5000. It all depends upon the number of windings, how many poles & how many magnets used. They usually weigh less than brushed motors also. They used to be A LOT more expensive, but anymore you can grab them from $10 each up to $400 depending upon if you want to go with brand name or are willing to try some off brand stuff. I go with the off brand. If they don't work, I tear them apart & rebuild them to where they work how I want them. I've put lots of trial & error into them some times. Sometimes I get it right the first time. SOmetimes all I have to do is replace cheap wire used for motor windings for some better stuff. BUT once you get into the larger planes and you have flown brushed for a while & then try brushless, you'll never go back to brushed.

DJ, Everyone's opinion is valued here. Just because Brent makes a suggestion to go one way, you can still go the other if you want. I tend to go left when everyone says to go right, but I've also had lots of failures that way too. There must be something with that,,, Oh well, left turn Clyde.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:01 AM
djnsayne

I didn't want to back down, But Brent showed up at my doorstep with a baseball bat and that kind of shocked me.

Fern,
Get the 400 or else!!!!!
Old 01-04-2007, 12:11 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

5 string, there is a place on e-bay that sells picco parts... , from singapore I think.

I'm thinking I should put forth a lotto. For one of my little planes. NIB, or should I hack the electronics, or should I trim the plane and hack the electronics. You guys make the call. 1) Does anyone want one, 2) do they want one they want to tweak, 3) if you want to tweak it do you want to tweak the aero or the electronics, 4) should the controller be able to fly all three of the channels. All of these options are available. Obviously, I can do all of these hacks/tweaks before the plane leaves.

So does anyone want one? And before the lotto starts I need a control. A person to hold the magic number. Tim
Old 01-04-2007, 12:13 AM
nyflyer56

No Fair! You guys started posting while I was at work, and then went into Olympic typing mode!
Don't panic, its alright now, I am here! Hehehehe

For our new visitors, I am NYFlyer56, from the Syracuse NY area. I stumbled across this thread a year or so and now consider myself, one of the family. My virtual home and flying club.
I am a total lifelong airplane junkie. Had my first control line plane at age 7, was building stick and tissue stuff by 9, designing my own by about 12, and started messing with RC in college. For years I was a prolific builder, but not much of a flyer until I joined my club in 1990. I am now an instructor. I am one of the glow power guys who has been starting to fly electrics as well, and have found a renewed interest in this hobby I love. Altho my business commitments (DJ business, sign shop, & construction/ realestate rentals ) have limited my building and flying time, I stay involved, and try to keep my finger on the pulse of this great pastime. I will always be here to help with any questions, so ask away.
Oh, and of course I am the flyers one stop shop for vinyl graphics for your planes, or anything else you would like decorated. My projects have included full size aircraft, and I am proud to have been a supplier for graphics for restoration of some of the aircraft in the museum on the US Intrepid.

If you are reading this and are new to us, Let me say, you will not find a finer bunch of guys to hang out with, either virtually or in person. Enjoy and go Fly

Phil
AMA 409490

Name:	Zx70316.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	590299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33481.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	590300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93309.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	590301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39897.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	590302  
afineman

djnsayne

I guess you didn't see the "I Love You" inscribed on the "bat" before it hit YOU

BUMMER

Hee He Hee

Brent
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

someone mentioned they thought the gws formosa was being discontinued, but i checked the gws site and tower and they are listed at both sites. i hope they do continue selling it as it's an excellent plane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.