Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Hybrid-Air -- Anyone flying one of these?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Hybrid-Air -- Anyone flying one of these?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 02:11 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hybrid-Air -- Anyone flying one of these?

The Hybrid Air offered by www.parkflyers.com shows promise as a land/water airplane.
I would like ot find out if anyone purchased one of these and how it flies.
Videos on web site look good and the RTF price is very reasonable.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:28 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Hybrid-Air -- Anyone flying one of these?

Wow! I'm a fan of seaplanes and this looks interesting. I can't imagine this bird is easy to fly with that wing configuration? I wish they had a video of it taking off and landing off the ground...or was it there and I missed it?
Old 01-16-2007, 04:05 PM
Gryphon

r/cmark42,

Yes they do have a video, if you click the link a few inches below the video, you can see the longer version. I recommend the longer version because the background music is awesome as well.

longer version video: http://www.parkflyers.com/html/hyb-vid1.html

Gryphon
Old 01-16-2007, 04:16 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

thanks Gryphon, I did watch this video but did not see a land takeoff or landing on land... I still think it a neat plane
Old 01-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Gryphon

r/cmark42 ,

Sorry... I missed the part about the ground. I thought you meant that you couldn’t find a video.

Gryphon
Old 01-16-2007, 07:24 PM
jmir

The plane comes with landing gear that snaps on and off for use on land or on water.

I didn't see any photos or video with the landing gear on.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Dave ESPI

Default RE: Hybrid-Air Anyone flying one of these?

any updates on this ?

I am debating getting one for a buddy.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:53 AM
huttcraft

There's a discussion [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=557550]here[/link] that you might want to read. The plane is also marketed as an Art-Tech Coota same plane, two names. I'm having fun with mine but not enough flight time yet to offer any detailed observations. All the best.

Dave
Old 07-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Dave ESPI

Hutt, I posted on that RCG thread the other day also

I do my homework! hehehee.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Allfat

There is a video taking off from teh ground right below the water one. The first link does not work, but the second one does and you just need Quicktime to watch it. It does not show a landing though, just takeoff.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Dave ESPI

Yeah, the videos are cool. The take off from ground video, it lost a wheel at about 1:03 in the film. I bet the landing was not so "perfect" lol.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Paolo66

Good Day All!

Just got my Coot A. At this moment I can't even manage to open the box without cutting it (had surgery yesterday).
Will report on the "adventure" ;-)

Season greetings,
Paolo
Old 12-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Paolo66

Ok, I will begin with saying that my package, of the Art Tech "Coota Amphibian", that I finally managed to open without cuts, "RTF" bought on eBay.de, appears to be complete and perfect.
I am not so fond of the pre-stuck self-adhesives (useless added weight), but these where (almost) decently applied, so they appear aesthetically decent, also from an aerodynamical point of view.
All was well packaged, piece by piece, and, apparently, well protected from any random accidental bumps as well.
I, at first, downloaded their "RC simulation program" etc. , but, temporarily, it seems to be working bad (reversed controls... and I already knew that program... one doesn't appear to get to fly a real model "Coota", actually).
I noticed, from a distance, by peeping from inside the cockpit, that balancing weight (massive metal piece) glued inside its nose: after reading previous educated reviews and checking rough fuselage weight balance, I think I am planning to remove it as well.
Reagrding the amovable parts, cockpit canopy and engine top enclosure, the magnets which assure the adherence are stuck with clear tape on the amovable pieces : I am certainly going to be changing that too; will remove tape, clean with my rectified benzine, and place the magnets in place with adequate glue.
No photos for now, my apologies (I already told you I am convalescent, anyhow).
I hope to be able to perform a little deeper scrutiny in the following days.

All the best,
Paolo (please forgive my language, I am not a "mother tongue" speaker)

Old 12-26-2009, 12:22 AM
Eflyer177

hi jmir

i purchased one of these a few years back

here is my opinion.... it flies okay just okay it was a bit of a pain in the *** at times for example you could chop the throttle and watch it just fall outa the sky haha so it didnt glide very well

the battery it had was not the best but you could always upgrade ofcourse and the rest of the components were not the best but they did the job for the price

soo if you have the money buy it because its not a bad plane but theres better out there... for example im flying a electrifly seawind ep and its a little more expensive but its worth it it even is now sold as a rx ready package so basically plug n play id go with that personally but if you think you really want the hybrid air then go for it.

cheers
Old 12-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

I personally think it is hilarious that they think the slow flyer heli could compete with the MCX. haha what a joke.
http://www.parkflyers.com/html/soloflyer.html
Old 01-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Yeah I've gone to their "store." He's an odd dude- he bought a downtown brick and morter street front store, yet doesn't want anyone to come inside the store or sell to them in person since they're "internet only." I finally convinced him to let me see what he had, and he sold me a bad brushless esc/motor package for a zagi- this was a few years back though. Anyway what Scaleflyer said, the Electrifly Seawind RX-R is really awesome, well worth the money. I like it so much I haven't even bothered to put my gas Seamaster (Neptune) together.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:18 AM
stryker-man

ORIGINAL: jmir

The Hybrid Air offered by www.parkflyers.com shows promise as a land/water airplane.
I would like ot find out if anyone purchased one of these and how it flies.
Videos on web site look good and the RTF price is very reasonable.
I pardon for my grammar upfront, for i am Dutch (the Netherlands)
I have this one, it is china made and original name is 'coota', made by art-tech.
Here it is called a coota , also on youtube, art-tech itself calls it a coota.
There will be an EPP version in the future but now all you can buy is the flying milkshake cup material.
The coota i have is also small, it has 95 cm wingspan and is 65 cm long. Brushless 80 W, 1500 kv (no load) 4 channel, 7,4 volt, 1800 mah lipo.
Today i flew my first time with it !
Somewhat to much wind, (four beaufort) but heeej Holland, a.k.a. the Netherlands, a no-wind, or little-wind day is very rare in the sea area where i live (Between Amsterdam and nort-sea) .
The big and heavy nose weight that is standard might even helped in this 'more wind then adviced by manual' flight. The 7.4 v, 1800 mah lipo i put as far back under its rubberband as possible inside the cockpit.

Since wind was comming from the north today and i was on a south side of a very big pond, take of was great fun ! Throtle, full throttle, somewaht rear-flap slowely up, and there she went, fast out of the water, allmost straight by itself, (speed/fast = relative to what one is used to, i know) and high, about 50 meters in no time.
Very well steerable / controleable, especialy for a first timer with this 4 channel 4 flaps sea plane. (I flew a stryker(flying wing, 2 flaps for everything) and unbee 'catamaran with wings (1.60 meters wide) flyer before) and a small and 40 cm vector steered silverlits x-wings :-) )

Ok, so flying went supprisingly well, but landing is/was the great challenge, brrrr, but -2- times went 'great' ! then, since i had been ehhhh 'boating the plane for trimming and material/motor use-in purposes' a lot, i stopped flying since the manual does not mention if there is an auto-cut-off built in, if there is a signal or not for battery allmost empty and such.
I had to do a wind-aft landing since i came in toward me, to high and fast, high trees to close behind me so i did not want to make a corner. Throttle allmost off, vertical/sloped dive, rear flaps, main wingflaps for keeping it horizontal, throttle, horizontal, less throttle, flapping for straight-keeping, touchdown, pfweeeew !
Second landing: side wind, but in a 'pocket' of allmost no wind behind an 'island' in the pond with very high , allmost bamboo, gras.

These where my shots of RC luck today, i did not wanted to try another one, so i stopped, i am very curious how much mah my charger will put into the lipo now.

Oh yes, the 2th flight was even more front heavy since after that some water came out of the cockpit, but some more from in-between the bottom and the plastic loose 'cup' under the plane that must not be very wel taped arround to the canopy/hull.
But all in all, nice, 'easy' steering, fast take off (with this wind anyways) , listens to controls, very fast in-air, stables very well, promissing!!
It is the 35 mhz (advertised as 2,4 ghz...) kit but it works and i payed 149 euro including transported package-post to my door, from within the Netherlands a few 'states' away.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:59 AM
huttcraft

Hi Stryker-Man:

Sounds like your initial experience with the Coota was largely positive: that's great! I'd make a few small modifications before you continue though:

1. reinforce the fuselage with carbon rods on the inside;

2. remove the metal 60-80gr weight in the nose then use the battery pack to set the CG; and

3. secure the cockpit canopy and engine cowl with a tape hinge on one side, reglue the magnets, and glue some flotation inside both since they don't float.

I also coated my entire plane in a clear polyurethane to keep the foam white and protect the paint a bit.

Personally I like flying the Coota with a 3S pack and an 8x4 slow-fly prop, but it works pretty well with the stock 2S set-up. All the best!

Dave