Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

balsa kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 10:53 PM
sokrdz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default balsa kit?

hi
i am looking for a parkflyer plane which i would like to build out of balsa. I want the plane to be relativly easy to fly but still some room for excitment. Any suggestions?
thanks
Old 03-02-2007, 02:24 AM
ozrcboy

Default RE: balsa kit?

Maybe a [link=http://www.oz********.com/2007/01/raving-about-rv4.html]StevensAero RV4[/link]. Is a nice little low wing scale parkflyer - will fly well on 70watts (is built so it can use an EPS350 if you are on a budget), but I have mine kicking about on a cheap towerpro brushless - about 130watts and she is a lot of fun. Mildly aerobatic (She can knife edge but it takes a lot of control coordination).

I love mine - is a kit build from laser cut balsa.

Cheers,
Oz.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:22 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

People keep saying that Mountain Models makes good kits.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:52 AM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

I've been very happy with the quality of SR Batteries kits. For slow gentle flights check out the "Cutie" a nice thing about this kit is you cna upgrade the power system as well as build an altenate wing (Acro-pro) to give you a more varied and aggressive flight. I found that I enjoyed building the kits so much I eventually purchased and built the X250 which uses the same power system as the Cutie. These kits are not over powered by any means but you will find the detail of the instructions and the quality of the kits second to none..
http://www.srbatteries.com/kits.htm
Old 03-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Flyer 1

There are a couple of degree of balsa "Kit" planes.
There are the heavier-duty kits, such as those made by House Of Balsa, and the far lighter kits made by Dumas. These are only two examples.
Also there's Great Planes, Sig, etc.
Personally I'd go with a Great Planes PT Electric Trainer for a starter plane.
It's been around for many years, is upgradeable to the new brushless motors and LiPo batteries, and is also significantly easier to build than the HOB or Dumas kits (which are very popular but are more of the "expert" builder category and not for beginning modelers).
The PT Electric will serve you very very well.
Flyer
Old 03-02-2007, 07:11 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

Hey flyer..I see you have many planes. What was your favorite build?
Old 03-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Flyer 1

ORIGINAL: r/cmark42

Hey flyer..I see you have many planes. What was your favorite build?
Well... of the "full-fledged" balsa builds (i.e., built from separate parts vs. pre-made wings and stuff), I'd say the Rascal is one of the best. I didn't buy the current ARF Rascal, but instead the original that came in full-kit form. It could be powered either by gas or electric.
That one was a great kit, but was pretty complex - the wing structure made it that way. It's a complex compound curve, not easily nor quickly done. However, the results were worth it! It's been one of my very favorite planes.
I haven't listed all the planes I've got on my profile - in fact I've got every Rascal Sig makes. The one I fly the most is the 'Lil Rascal, because of it's tiny size.
The one that gets the most attention is the Rascal 110, over 9 feet of wingspan and one HECKUVA big outrunner! It's a real joy to fly - stable as a rock and visible as all get-out! It's an ARF.
Of the ARFs, I kind of like the construction of the modern Great Planes birds, and the Fokker D-V11 is my latest. It's an ARF of built-up balsa/ply construction, and frankly it's covered better than I could do myself. That, coupled with it's overall quality (aluminum cabanes, landing gear, and just plain excellent construction) makes it the best ARF build I've had recently.
Flyer
Old 03-03-2007, 01:46 AM
sokrdz

im definetly going to look into the PT electric trainer
thanks