Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 06:31 PM
_mike_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

BeavenX5: Theres a jumper you need to remove to activate a 3s lipo cutup which is very small and rectangular. Its located in front of one of the plugs for the 'anti crash' sensors, (that i never bothered to use initially due to negative reports) where they plug into the main board. The 2100 and 1800 packs wont fit in the standard box without hacking it up.

I buy these 3s 1500mah packs from ebay which i get for $19Aus delivered. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-1500-mAh-...QQcmdZViewItem
There basically an exact fit sitting vertical. I trimmed the front and rear of the battery hatch (top part) around 1mm with a blade to make access a little easier. Added a tiny mit of masking tape to make the battery a little wider and with the installed velcro holds in there very well. I also replaced the mini tamiya plug with a deans.

The 3s 1500 pack weighed ~65g less than the stock 8.4nimh. COG didnt really seem to be affected. Basically 1/2throttle on the lipo = full throttle with the stocker pack when in flight. Word of warning though with the lipo, dont give full throttle initially, she tends to nose dive. Go 1/2 for ~2metres then full and she launches straight up ~4m (depending on wind). Enjoy

Mike
Old 01-03-2008, 06:45 PM
cjg

ORIGINAL: RCHubbub

ORIGINAL: _mike_

Hey Guys,

Currently own a stock Supercub running a 3s 1500mah lipo which ive had ~50 flights on (not a single fatality *knock wood*) and am having an absolute ball, lots of inverted flight, outside rolls etc etc. Have other 3channel plans, helis cars etc etc but nothing with aerilons (cub is my favourite toy).

My brother just bought a T28 and flew it whilst i wasnt there, crashing twice (not realising he had it in high rate mode), breaking the fuse, bending the motor shaft etc etc. I was going to buy a T28 very shortly but i've scored this damaged one for nothing which i'll repair with new parts. My question is do i need the aerilons??? My cub is set on maximum throws for the elevator and rudder & I love the way the plane behaves. The planes are similar size with the t28 being a little longer and heavier but the surface areas of both the elevator and rudder are very identical. If i set these to higher throws + with the swtich in high mode would this be sufficient? Has anyone tried this?

Have flown a styker C which ended in disaster. I was going to try not using the aerilons in flight once i bought a new t28 but since i have to fix this t28 up im curious be4 i fly how it will perform.

thanx
Mike

I haven't specifically tried to fly the T-28 with rudder and elevator only, but I don't think it would be satisfactory. There are important differences between the Supercub (which I also have) and the T-28. The Supercub is a slow, high wing plane with a lot of dihedral in the wings. The Supercub is designed to not have need for ailerons. This is not true for the T-28. Though it does have a good amount of dihedral, it is still a low wing plane and will not have the self-righting characteristics, which is required to fly without ailerons.

I think you have enough experience for the T-28 to fly with ailerons. For now, just use the right stick to fly it like you do the Supercub. Its flight maneuvers will be very similar with just using aileron and elevator.

I have tried my T-28 rudder only. It doesn't bank enough to truly turn like my SC with rudder only. However, flying the T-28 with aileron turns is very easy. I hardly use my rudder at all on the T-28.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:38 PM
charlie1960

Try the E-flight pwer 10 motor same physical size as stock 480....shaft is larger diameter......and the 3 blade prop from the Evolution power system....(nitro motor)...........and have ya goggles on tight........
Old 01-03-2008, 08:05 PM
_mike_

thanx cjg.

think the t28 will remain stock, my the sounds of it has more than enough grunt for me
Old 01-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Zeta30

ORIGINAL: dwilt72

Got the Trojan for Christmas...MAN is it a sweet flying plane! MUCH more powerful and smoother than the Super Cub and it seems to me like it handles the wind much better also. The only drawback is that it seems to take FOREVER for the battery to charge....going today to buy a 2nd battery.
I was thinking just the opposite when I flew mine the other day, it was getting jolted around by the wind so much I had to land and break out the SC. My SC did much better in the wind than the T-28. But then my SC is heavier than stock too.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:44 PM
nerdc0re79

finished my stykerC today! too many kids at the field playing soccer .cant fly with them b@stards around. upgraded the trojan's wheels to a 2 1/4 foam wheels so grass landing strips arent a problem anymore. since the new wheels has a bigger diameter we had to shim it to fit the landing gear. works great but added a tiny weight . I'LL HAVE TO POST MY PICTURE TOMORROW
Old 01-04-2008, 02:26 PM
nerdc0re79

here it is...new wheels. rolls nicely on grass and also finished building my new styker C
Old 01-04-2008, 02:27 PM
nerdc0re79

damn it . wont upload. is there another way to post a pic in here?
Old 01-04-2008, 02:28 PM
nerdc0re79

sorry it wouldnt let me upload.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:22 PM
nerdc0re79

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12449.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	842237  
Old 01-04-2008, 06:24 PM
nerdc0re79

here ya go

Name:	Lj24140.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	842238  
Old 01-04-2008, 06:28 PM
nerdc0re79

new stryker C

Name:	Vt55965.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	842242  
Old 01-04-2008, 07:35 PM
cjg

ORIGINAL: Zeta30

ORIGINAL: dwilt72

Got the Trojan for Christmas...MAN is it a sweet flying plane! MUCH more powerful and smoother than the Super Cub and it seems to me like it handles the wind much better also. The only drawback is that it seems to take FOREVER for the battery to charge....going today to buy a 2nd battery.
I was thinking just the opposite when I flew mine the other day, it was getting jolted around by the wind so much I had to land and break out the SC. My SC did much better in the wind than the T-28. But then my SC is heavier than stock too.
My experience is the stock T-28 handles wind better than my stock SC. More power, rudder and ailerons give more ability to correct than rudder alone. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:03 AM
tvcd

After all the talk about the radio problems in the t-28, I have one, stock with over 40 flights now without a glitch knock on wood.
I am getting scared was thinking about an external BEC. I checked and I also have 2-digital servos ruder and elevator so I was looking at the novak 5465 5 amp BEC but It says it’s for a 2s li-po t-28 is 3s. Does anyone have a recommendation or has anyone used the 5465 on a 3s? Or is a 2.5 or 3amp bec what I should use? Any recommendations?
Old 01-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Hack73

ORIGINAL: nerdc0re79

here it is...new wheels. rolls nicely on grass and also finished building my new styker C
Nice pictures. What size wheels did you put on your T-28?
Old 01-05-2008, 11:50 AM
dwilt72

[/quote]
My experience is the stock T-28 handles wind better than my stock SC. More power, rudder and ailerons give more ability to correct than rudder alone. Just my 2 cents.
[/quote]

I think that's the difference I feel also when flying the Trojan. The Trojan turns smoother because of the ailerons. The tail of the Cub tends to fishtail a bit because of the use of the rudder to steer. The motor on the Trojan also seems to be much more powerful and I think the extra power helps it fly better into the wind. The Cub at times to me seems to be under powered when you turn it into the wind.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:52 AM
dwilt72

ORIGINAL: tvcd

After all the talk about the radio problems in the t-28, I have one, stock with over 40 flights now without a glitch knock on wood.
I am getting scared was thinking about an external BEC. I checked and I also have 2-digital servos ruder and elevator so I was looking at the novak 5465 5 amp BEC but It says it’s for a 2s li-po t-28 is 3s. Does anyone have a recommendation or has anyone used the 5465 on a 3s? Or is a 2.5 or 3amp bec what I should use? Any recommendations?
Has there been problems using the radio that comes with the Trojan?

Old 01-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Zeta30

I think that's the difference I feel also when flying the Trojan. The Trojan turns smoother because of the ailerons. The tail of the Cub tends to fishtail a bit because of the use of the rudder to steer. The motor on the Trojan also seems to be much more powerful and I think the extra power helps it fly better into the wind. The Cub at times to me seems to be under powered when you turn it into the wind.
I think the reason my SC performs better in the wind is because it isn't stock. It has a brushless 450 E-Flite motor, 2 3/4" wheels instead of stock and ailerons. I fly that with the 2200mAh LiPo batteries and it's probably a little heavier than the stock T-28.[/quote]
Old 01-05-2008, 12:20 PM
dwilt72

ORIGINAL: Zeta30

I think the reason my SC performs better in the wind is because it isn't stock. It has a brushless 450 E-Flite motor, 2 3/4" wheels instead of stock and ailerons. I fly that with the 2200mAh LiPo batteries and it's probably a little heavier than the stock T-28.
[/quote]

I was comparing stock planes. Of course the SuperCub will fly better if you add a more powerful motor and ailerons.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:56 PM
r72cnvt

Dwilt72,

Almost everyone here has experienced unexplained glitches which have led to un-planed flight maneuvers. A few have even led to crashes. The E-flite 25A esc has also been problematic.

I think a good 2.4 radio and updated esc would be a great cure for this otherwise great plane. Too bad Parkzone won't bundle it with the Spektrum DX6i like Eflite does with the Blade 400 heli.

Zeta,

I'm coming to Portland this spring for some family business. Maybe we could get a Trojan fly-in going. I know there are a few of you guys in the Portland/Vancouver area. I bet a flyer at the LHS's would stir up something. My sister lives out in Manning in the middle of 100 acres of alfalfa. I bet we could mow down a landing strip out there for an afternoon of fun flying. Maybe we could get the Portland buzzards to flock like the Florida ones seem to do (see supercub thread).
Old 01-05-2008, 12:59 PM
traxxboy

I have had 5 parkzone/hobbyzone airplanes all bone stock. Firebird xl, f-27b, spitfire, slo-v, and the t-28. I have never had a problem with the radio gear.(Knock on wood).
Old 01-05-2008, 01:26 PM
dwilt72

ORIGINAL: r72cnvt

Dwilt72,

Almost everyone here has experienced unexplained glitches which have led to un-planed flight maneuvers. A few have even led to crashes. The E-flite 25A esc has also been problematic.

I think a good 2.4 radio and updated esc would be a great cure for this otherwise great plane. Too bad Parkzone won't bundle it with the Spektrum DX6i like Eflite does with the Blade 400 heli.

Thanks for the info r72cnvt. I did have something weird happen while flying last weekend. I'm still relatively new to RC flight and I'm learning to fly a glow trainer using a buddy-box. I didn't want to crash my brand-new Christmas gift, so we hooked up my Trojan radio to my son-in-law's JR radio as a buddy-box. He trimmed it out and then let me fly for a while and he landed it. The next flight, I took it off and was flying real well, then unexpectedly the plane started spiralling straight down. I was trying to pull it out with no luck and my son-in-law finally saved the plane. I was too spooked to try to land it. He seemed to think that he accidentally loosened the buddy-box cord. I was able to fly it again using the buddy-box and took off and landed safely. Now, I wonder if there might have been some glitch with the radio.

I had heard that the e-flight esc's were not the best ones around and that replacing it with a Castle Creations esc would be a good idea. I've been thinking about buying a spread-spectrum radio, so maybe I just need to go ahead and make that purchase and replace the radio/receiver also.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Zeta30

Zeta,

I'm coming to Portland this spring for some family business. Maybe we could get a Trojan fly-in going. I know there are a few of you guys in the Portland/Vancouver area. I bet a flyer at the LHS's would stir up something. My sister lives out in Manning in the middle of 100 acres of alfalfa. I bet we could mow down a landing strip out there for an afternoon of fun flying. Maybe we could get the Portland buzzards to flock like the Florida ones seem to do (see supercub thread).
Sounds fun! That is if the rain ever stops. The spring time here is real hit or miss with the rain. It's usually pretty wet though.

I just received an AR6100 RX for my DX7 TX. I'll be installing that in my T-28 this weekend.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:34 PM
nerdc0re79

i got it at my LHS . 2 1/4 super lite wheels ( part # DUB225SL) and it rolls nicely on pavement and grass. just have to buy copper tubing to fit the inside to shim it cuz the trojan has a smaller diameter. and to lock the wheels in place. i went to home depot and got nylon nuts #4 x 20 and of course its coarse threads so i forced them to thread in and super glued them cuz i know i wont be changing those for a while. hope that works out

Name:	Mk25481.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	842962  
Old 01-05-2008, 03:38 PM
nerdc0re79

DUBRO AIRCRAFT wheels

part # DUB225SL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.