Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 05:27 AM
ka9fax
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

Hello,
anyone know what the stock motor is rated at? Amp wise? Im having a had time finding info on the stock motor.
thanks
Tony
Old 10-16-2010, 11:40 AM
rcbartra

ORIGINAL: callsignMERLIN

rcbartra how far back is the post listing the motor replacement? I went two pages and couldn't find it..
look for a post from Ibarnes answering my question about the replacement motor from hk.
hope this helps. its probably 5 or 6 pages back (more or less)
Old 10-16-2010, 12:58 PM
rcbartra

ORIGINAL: ka9fax

Hello,
anyone know what the stock motor is rated at? Amp wise? Im having a had time finding info on the stock motor.
thanks
Tony
if I am not mistaken it's 960 kv. it is a park 480 from e-flite. u can go to the partsfinder feature on horizons website.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:25 PM
ka9fax

ORIGINAL: rcbartra

ORIGINAL: callsignMERLIN

rcbartra how far back is the post listing the motor replacement? I went two pages and couldn't find it..
look for a post from Ibarnes answering my question about the replacement motor from hk.
hope this helps. its probably 5 or 6 pages back (more or less)
Thanks Rcbartra ill look for it now.
Tony
Old 10-16-2010, 02:01 PM
ka9fax

Hello,
thanks
Tony
if I am not mistaken it's 960 kv. it is a park 480 from e-flite. u can go to the partsfinder feature on horizons website.
Yes i called Horizon, i was told there shiped with that motor and have no spec's on hand for them. If u order one on there site it just says 480 960kv. Reason im asking is i have been running a 4s 30c pack. I fly it at 1/2 throttle and it is so much faster than the other club members stock 28s. for how long i don't know..lol. i just got a Watts Up watt meter so i can see how bad im taxing my equ. thats whay i would like to know the motors watts and the continuous and burst current, then, see what im getting at 1/2 throttle. i give it about 5sec. of full, but after my checks, it might be so bad that i might want to set my throttle end points per my results. i just would like to get the rest of season, then i will be going to a .15 rimfire and new ESC. a guy in our club did that combo with a 4s pack and its stupid fast...lol
Tony
Old 10-19-2010, 08:13 PM
cjg

Just got a watts up and measured the stock motor using two props:
10x7x3 prop - 225 watts
stock - 200 watts

Maximum amp pull was just over 20 amps.

I used a Turnigy 2200mah 20c battery.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:13 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

The amp load is not your problem, the plastic can and/or the windings on that stock motor will get hot and melt if you are not carefull. When that happens you can pretty much save it for parts.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:17 PM
ka9fax

ORIGINAL: cjg

Just got a watts up and measured the stock motor using two props:
10x7x3 prop - 225 watts
stock - 200 watts

Maximum amp pull was just over 20 amps.

I used a Turnigy 2200mah 20c battery.
Wow thanks alot cjg. Thats just what i needed to know. I also just got a Watts Up, so i will share my findings with u. Stock prop, 4s G Force 2200 20c from Value Hobby.

464.2 watts
30.48 amps full throttle

2 clicks above half
247 watts
15.83 amps

1 click above half
212.1 watts
13.66 amps

I also tried and i fly on a APC 9X7.5

402 watts
26.78 amps full throttle

3 clicks above half
253 watts
16.65 amps

2 clicks above half
216 watts
14.16 amps

So i will say 2 things, its really fast, and im lucky i did not burn the motor up. lol. most of the time i would only need half throttle because with a extra cell im turning 14208rpm compared to a 3 cell being 10656 rpm (Volts X 960kv) this equals 3552 more rpm's.
but what i did so i don't show off to much and burn something up is cut the high on my throttle to were i was at 235 watts. i think im safe there.
thanks again cjg
Tony

Old 10-19-2010, 09:20 PM
ka9fax

ORIGINAL: hugger-4641

The amp load is not your problem, the plastic can and/or the windings on that stock motor will get hot and melt if you are not carefull. When that happens you can pretty much save it for parts.
Is that from the high watts Jerry? I herd the motors are only rated at 200 or 220.
thanks,
tony
Old 10-20-2010, 06:34 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Yes, high watts (or amps) from too big a battery and/or too much prop. Usually you will fry the stock Esc first, but if you've upgraded that, you will probably get the motor. Even with the stock battery and esc, consecutive full throttle flights without enough time for the motor to cool and you can melt one pretty good.
However, with some good throttle management, you can have lots of fun with that 4S lipo and the stock motor. Just don't stay full throttle for long periods without some slow cruising in between to let the motor cool, and let it rest for 10min or so between batteries.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:29 PM
ka9fax

ORIGINAL: hugger-4641

Yes, high watts (or amps) from too big a battery and/or too much prop. Usually you will fry the stock Esc first, but if you've upgraded that, you will probably get the motor. Even with the stock battery and esc, consecutive full throttle flights without enough time for the motor to cool and you can melt one pretty good.
However, with some good throttle management, you can have lots of fun with that 4S lipo and the stock motor. Just don't stay full throttle for long periods without some slow cruising in between to let the motor cool, and let it rest for 10min or so between batteries.
Ok will do, thanks for the good info.
Tony
Old 10-22-2010, 04:21 PM
rcbartra

I am amused about how many mods people is willing to make just for the fun of it.... All I wanted was just to replace my old motor with something cheaper after it broke down and I ended up getting something that exceded my expectations (Amazing power) If we keep on pushing the T28 limits, something is gonna give ... lets try to keep our planes in one piece
Old 10-22-2010, 04:44 PM
ka9fax

I am amused about how many mods people is willing to make just for the fun of it.... All I wanted was just to replace my old motor with something cheaper after it broke down and I ended up getting something that exceded my expectations (Amazing power) If we keep on pushing the T28 limits, something is gonna give ... lets try to keep our planes in one piece
Well said rcbartra.....
Old 10-27-2010, 07:10 AM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do not see anything wrong with tinkering and changing propellers and using better "C" rating batteries on these models, especially with the STOCK power system such as long as people are careful and measure their static AMP draw and it looks like this is exactly what people are doing.

I have flown my "Airforce" T-28 Trojan with the STOCK power system using a Master Airscrew 3-Blade (10 X 7 X 3) and it has been transformed into another model as this setup allows it to Knife Edge all around the field with super stable and accurate manners. The Silver color just shines off the wings and it is really cool to watch. I use 25C discharge 3-Cell, 2200mAH, Li-POLYs and I can fly for about 9-minutes conservatively and the Li-POLYs come out cold and measure 11.4 Volts after I take em out.

The STOCK power system is a very capable setup and a little tinkering here and there changing out propellers and using better Li-POLY packs transform these Park Zone models very effectively.

Carlos[8D]
Old 10-27-2010, 10:46 AM
ka9fax

Im going to order that prop today. Thanks for the tip[8D]
Tony
Old 10-29-2010, 08:21 AM
ka9fax

Hello,
how do u balance a 3 blade prop? i never had one before. it said on the package that it was pre balanced but when i spool up it shacks so bad the prop is even moving around, looks like it will break the plastic mount. I should have never tried to fly it this way, right when i got it in the air it started to act crazy like radio hits. i cut the throttle and dead sticked it in. it was fine with no throttle. boy did i get lucky.
Tony
Old 10-29-2010, 08:25 AM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello,
how do u balance a 3 blade prop? i never had one before. it said on the package that it was pre balanced but when i spool up it shacks so bad the prop is even moving around, looks like it will break the plastic mount. I should have never tried to fly it this way, right when i got it in the air it started to act crazy like radio hits. i cut the throttle and dead sticked it in. it was fine with no throttle. boy did i get lucky.
Tony
It sounds like when you drilled it out you either drilled it too big or got it off center - i use a hand prop reamer and am slow and carefull to get the right size - also if you use an electric drill and go too fast you can build up heat and warp -
Old 10-29-2010, 09:00 AM
ka9fax

ORIGINAL: ronwc

Hello,
Tony
It sounds like when you drilled it out you either drilled it too big or got it off center - i use a hand prop reamer and am slow and carefull to get the right size - also if you use an electric drill and go too fast you can build up heat and warp -
Hi Ron,
no i used a prop reamer, no play at all on shaft, good tight fit.
thanks
Tony
Old 10-29-2010, 09:34 AM
guapoman2000

Hello,
Tony
Hi Ron,
thanks
Tony

Very strange indeed. The Master Airscrew Propellers are made with the best materials and precision tools such that I have bought and used perhaps 4 of these propellers and never had any issues on any balancing problem. In fact, they do not break easy as I had my Corsair by Park Zone pancake on the Asphalt runway and did not break my MAS 3-Blade 10 X 7 X 3 and it just jump up and continue to fly with only a busted cowling.

I hope you can resolve your issue as I just don't know how to solve it because again, never had a balancing problem on any of mine.

Carlos[8D]
Old 10-30-2010, 10:45 PM
guapoman2000

Good evening / good early morning depending on what time zone you all are at!

Over here it is exactly 11:35pm Eastern and I just got back from participating in a War Bird Fun Fly and Swap Meet at a very nice RC Club known as the South Pinellas Aeronautical Radio Kontrol Society (SPARKS) at North St. Petersburg, Florida. It is exactly 1.5 hours of driving for me from Orlando, Florida and wow it was the best $10.00 admission fee I have every spent as the food was first rate all home cooked and the RC Club is just fantastic with power stations at each table and tables are super large. They even had a raffle for a large 73 inch Black Horse AT-6 and other prizes plus an auction should you really wanted to get rid of a few items.

Here's their web site:
[link]http://www.sparksrc.org/[/link]

I came with my Park Zone T-28 "Airforce" Trojan with the Master Airscrew 3-blade (10 X 7 X 3) and using some cheap EFlight Power 25C Discharge, 3-Cell, 2200mAH Li-POLYs, I was able to really impressed a few at this RC Club. Landing after the First Flight people started to come by and inspect my Trojan and finally turning to me in disbelief asking me if my Trojan had the STOCK Park Zone 480 and I replied YES! They looked at each other in disbelief!

I am not a great RC Flyer but, not a poor one either and it seems like I gave a few some new experiences on what this piece of FOAM can do if you really want to have a little more excitment.

All day long it was blowing about 10 MPH and gusting to 12 MPH and no one seemed to want to fly and so, I went out for my 2nd flight and commanded my Trojan to perform a Knife edge all around their field and over their runway run as I was the only one flying they gave me that flexibility to fly pretty much free style but, noting the boundaries of the adjacent Highway (I-275) and Rosavelt Road. Now, we got even more people coming to the table after I landed and placed my Trojan on the table to get it out from the Florida hot Sun. It was amazing how many people came to look over my model as they just could not believe it was STOCK out of the box![:@]

Amazing....[X(]
Old 10-31-2010, 12:29 AM
ka9fax

ORIGINAL: guapoman2000

Hello,
Tony
Hi Ron,
thanks
Tony

Very strange indeed. The Master Airscrew Propellers are made with the best materials and precision tools such that I have bought and used perhaps 4 of these propellers and never had any issues on any balancing problem. In fact, they do not break easy as I had my Corsair by Park Zone pancake on the Asphalt runway and did not break my MAS 3-Blade 10 X 7 X 3 and it just jump up and continue to fly with only a busted cowling.

I hope you can resolve your issue as I just don't know how to solve it because again, never had a balancing problem on any of mine.

Carlos[8D]
Looks like i will never know after today. got on youtube to learn how to balance a 3 blade prop, well it was off. I put it back on spooled it up and it sounded better, still not as quite or as smooth as the two blade but better. Took it the field for the test flight , there was another member there that flys the Parkzone stuff. Took off fine made the turn, flying stright and level then it happened again, the plane just made a 90 then twisted to its side. I was ready for it this time, cut the throttle all the way and brought it in. The other guy looked at me and said WOW i thought you did that at first, i told him no way. I put the other prop on took of and all was great again. I wish i new what could be going on. now the LHS sold me the MA 10X7X3 said he did not think there was one for electric so do i have the worng one? so it looks like i will not be trying a 3 blade out again unless i find something new out.
Tony
Old 10-31-2010, 07:07 AM
guapoman2000

Tony,

The Master Airscrew 3-Blade propellers are for Glow and not for Electric but, many fly with them because it provides great flying characteristics as the propeller has thin blade airfoil and does not load down a typical Brushless motor. Additionally, when reaching the higher RPMs these Propellers do not flex or deform in flight and are much safer.

It seems like they sold you a bum steer? And again, I can not help you in the sligtest bacause I would not know how to balance one of these as I have never purchased one that caused vibration like you are describing.

Carlos[8D]
Old 10-31-2010, 07:19 AM
guapoman2000

Guys!

I think that I perhaps found the place where I will be retiring to as I was very impressed with this RC Club at St. Petersburg, Florida.

Here I am with a few models in view that I brought to fly and it was windy but, all models flew perfect!

Notice my Park Zone T-28 "Airforce" Trojan with the Master Airscrew 3-Blade propeller next to my large FMS P-51D Mustang.

Oh by the way, that large FMS P-51D Mustang is flying with a "GLOW" 2-Blade 13 X 9 as it performs much better than the made for electric 4-Blade that came with it. Actually, both propellers came in the box for those that want speed "or" scale looks. The 4-Blade just did not result in the speed that I wanted so, I opted to go with the 2-blade for now. I am looking for another 4-Blade with thinner blades and higher pitch speed soon!

Old 01-31-2011, 06:22 AM
guapoman2000

Sunday morning over Central Florida (Orlando, Florida) 01-30-2011 was picture perfect with very enjoyable weather conditions and finally nice and warm!

Here's a few pictures that my buddy Gerry took of my Park Zone "Airforce" T-28 Trojan that morning with his new Digital SLR Camera!

Continuous Knife Edge all around the field!

Old 01-31-2011, 09:22 AM
taekwondo

Hey gents:

I hAVE been reading your thread with fascination. I hope to "remaiden" my T28 next weekend. I glued it all together after my last mishap and even have a new cowl. See you guys Sat. at TC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.