Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Mega 16/25/2 vs E-flite 6 series 2700

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Mega 16/25/2 vs E-flite 6 series 2700

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 07:22 PM
LT-40
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mega 16/25/2 vs E-flite 6 series 2700

Hey guys I want to see what people think about these two motors. The Mega is 2650KV and the E-flite is 2700KV. From this forum, I have seen that most people prefer the Mega when modifying strykers, but the guy at my LHS is still not convinced that the Mega motor is hotter than the E-flite. I guess this may have to do with the fact that he has an e-flite motor that he wants me to buy. Anyhow, I just want a way to show him that the mega is better. I think???
What do you guys think?

Thanks,

LT-40

Oah, and I will probably be running 3S to begin with, just FYI
Old 06-16-2007, 09:51 PM
Gryphon

Default RE: Mega 16/25/2 vs E-flite 6 series 2700

Hi there LT-40, how have you been? Have not seen you on the Stryker thread for a long while.

The answer to your question is a no brainer...Do not ever have that discussion with your local hobby store again.
Don't you hate it when someone lies to you and they try to sell you something?

The E-flight six series 2700 motor is a 400 sized motor and it is also an upgrade for a weak brushed 480 motor. It weights 2.9 O.Z.

The MEGA is the same diameter but longer, it is the same length as the stock brushed motor and barely heavier. So It is a 480 sized motor and weight is about 3.9 O.Z.

No comparison as far as power goes.

To max out the MEGA 16/25/2 you need to have a good 80A ESC like Castle Creations, a cheap 80A ESC may not be up to the task. Forget the ULTRA conservative rating that it is given. My friend flew it daily up to several times a day for many months at 800W on 3S.
I fly it at well over 900W on 3S and at 1320+W on 4S. I've tested it at 1600+W on 5S, but I know that was over propping it on 5S, next time I'll prop it for 1400W on 5S.
Testing in my room drew up to 105A on 3S.

I've been radared at about 115MPH if I remember right and the battery was not fresh anymore.

The resistance on the MEGA is only 0.0075 Ohms versus the 0.0300 of the E-flight.
So which do you think can make more power? Which do you think will get hotter?

My MEGA flies cool all the time. It costs only $20 more..... $95 versus $75.

You can put on any prop that you want depending on your battery, ESC, and performance needs.

I have an Excel spread sheet of tested props on various cells.

As the amps go up the smaller E-flight will get hotter and less and less efficient.

The MEGA will turn any prop at higher speed, may be except a 4.1X4.1 prop...I bet $20 that it will turn that more RPM as well.
The 2700KV will turn more RPM versus 2650KV only with no prop on it. LOL....

Tell your LHS guy you are offended and ask him not to blow smoke ----------------.

Feel convinced now?

If your batteries are small and you want max power out of your 2650, then run two of those batteries in parallel (still 3S but twice capacity and amp flow capability) like my friend did for many months. Don’t worry about C.G. I can show you what ever you need to know. Make sure you have a good ESC to make huge power.
Due to better efficiency it’ll make more power with same battery and ESC. Meaning given the same input to motor, it will give you more output due to less waste in heat.

PM me for more questions and suggestions if you like.

Later.....Drop in the "...past limits part 5" thread more often.

Gryphon
Old 06-16-2007, 10:32 PM
LT-40
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks Gryphon,

I will be sure to buy the Mega motor and make sure that the LHS guy knows that he has been talking crap. Hey sorry that I havn't been arround much, I totaled my stryker a while back and I just recently decided to buy another one and take it to the next level. I will be sort of slow getting the thing together because of money issues, but I plan to have a pretty dang hot stryker by the time I am finished![>:] I want to keep it at 3S for the first little while until I get used to the extra speed, but I plan to bring it up to 4S in the future. I was planning on buying an E-flite 40 esc, but It sounds like I may need to go higher. What esc do you recomend?

Thanks,

LT-40
Old 06-17-2007, 12:46 AM
Gryphon

LT-40,

I know you are getting the MEGA, but I forgot to mention that the 2650KV 16/25/2 on a large 3 cell, will beat the E-flight 6 series 2700KV on any size 4S battery. WOW I feel better now.

I would get a 80A ESC or higher depending on the ESC. Castle Creations Phoenix 80A ESC has a burst rating of 120A and is good for up to 6S just like their 60A. But their 45A is only good for 4S.
Since the size and weight of their 60A and 80A are the same, and price difference is so little, I would not even look at the 60A and buy the 80A even if I was to keep the amps low.
Hyperion had (2) 80A ESC, one with BEC, one without BEC but it had OPTO Isolator instead. They now added a 3rd 80A ESC, but first let me tell you some thing.
Most all ESCs even if rated for 5 or 6 cells, can only handle feeding juice to receiver and servos at up to 3S (or 10 cell NiMh), above that, like at 4S or more, they can not provide power to receiver or servos and must have their BEC disabled and an external BEC is required. Again that hold true for most ESCs but not all. Disabling the BEC is a very quick job. Read my post on bottom of page 17 of way past the limits part 5 thread.

**This 3rd and new Hyperion 80A ESC has an internal BEC that is capable of delivering power to receiver and servos at higher voltage, all the way up to its max voltage rating of 5 cells or 6 cells. Not sure of max cells on this ESC.
The MEGA 16/25/2 should not be ran on more than 5S, so it does not make a difference anyway.
I don't know the burst rating on the Hyperion ESC. But its cutoff voltage is adjustable. I also don't know if it does have auto detect for cell count like CC.
External BEC also called Universal BEC (UBEC) is like $18-35 depending on what you want. You need 1.5A min. Also choice of 5V or 6V. With 6V the servos move faster and have higher holding power. Some are selectable with a jumper on side of UBEC.

*** Only problem with CC ESCs are that the cutoff voltage is 3.0 V/cell. For example that can be changed with the Castle link to 3.1V or 3.2V, but I believe with that setting it will no longer be auto cell count. I'm hooked on CC Phoenix ESCs and I installed CC125A ESC on my last Stryker.

On 4S I drew about 92A to make that 1320+W, I think it was 1330W on Graupner CAM 6X6 with my CC80A set on high advance and I had about 29,000 RPM using Thunder Power Extreme 4S battery.

With higher amps, you will run the battery down faster, so you need a bigger battery. But the bigger AND better battery is required to be able to feed all those amps to the motor.

Best two batteries that I have tested for above motor on 3S are Thunder Power Extreme series 4500mAh 25C/50C or 5000mAH 25C/50C. I run the 5000-3S and it is rated for 125A constant. Either battery is 160MM long. Do not buy the 195mm long versions by mistake.
For 4S get the TP 3850 25C 148mm long, about same weight at 3S-5000 Extreme.

Send me an E-mail and I will reply to the e-mail with my pics and comments.

With good 3S battery and ESC you can clock 115+ MPH on radar on straight and level flight with no tail wind, no diving, and no cheating.

On 4S and high amps, wooden elevons are a must.

Gryphon