Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Blt

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 12:51 PM
Stormovic
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blt

Just built one of these.Great easy flyer. My set up is this, GP 280 motor system,7 cell 650 mah nimh pack. I covered mine in trans blue Monokote. You do have to be careful shrinking this stuff over the lightweight structure. I also covered the fuse with trans yellow. The weight gain doing this is neg as far as I am concerned. It flew right out of my hand with little trim change. I do have the Realflight G2 and the model behaved just about like the sim. For a calm morning or afternoon flyer I think it will fit the bill perfectly. I beleive it will thermal like a sailplane. Next is the Tutor. BTW radio is the Futuba single stick micro system. I think I am hooked .
Old 03-29-2003, 04:54 AM
Billy Haynes

Default BLT

I must agree it's a great plane/design. Mine has gone through several changes. One day I landed, went to taxi back to me (just for kicks), the wheels cought something/nosed over & broke the fuse in half. The new fuse is carbon rod (smallest arrowshaft I could find) With a pod to house the gear & mount the wing. The vert. stab broke on me one day, so I chopped the top of the vert. stab off & added that aera to the rudder for a counterbalance (added about 30% more aera to the rudder). I always felt the rudder didn't have enuff authiorty anyway. Latest mod. was going from 7c 750(i think)mah nimh to 10 cells! Can you say ZoomZoom! I only use full throttle for loops, ect.
Old 03-29-2003, 02:20 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blt

what the heck is a blt?
Old 03-29-2003, 03:47 PM
Billy Haynes

Default blt

Great Planes BLT (basic light trainer) A nice lightly built plane, but wont take abuse, or being used as a trainer, for long IMO
Old 12-23-2004, 09:28 PM
rieger202

Default RE: blt

I built one too except i used mini servos instead of micro servos since i had some lying around at home. I dont think the plane generates enough power or its too heavy due to the servos. Any ideas? or how can i make it more powerful? Thanks.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:54 PM
Billy Haynes

Default RE: Blt

I don't know what your set up is (motor/battery), but the first thing I'd do is replace those servo's with some lighter micro's. You may have to heavy of a battery, adding to the weight. Mine flew well with a Great Planes 280BB motor and a 7cell Electri fly (Nimh 720mha?) battery, geared 3:1 swinging a APC 10x7sf prop (If I remember correct). You must remember to keep it light. Before going to a brushless set up, I would suggest a 2s lipo battery, say.. maybe a 2s 1050 Apogee pack. The lipo weight would be too bad & it would give a 280 size motor a long run time. Post what your current setup is so we can help you better. Keep'm fly'n....
Old 12-24-2004, 02:13 AM
rieger202

i had the 7 cell battery and all the other stuff i should have been using except for the servos. it just wont gain any altitude even at full throttle. maybe a new propeller. it sounds like that helps ya'll out.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:33 AM
Rat1

Prop on backward maybe?????? It is a common mistake that is made by even the most seasoned rc flyer. Attack angle of the wing not great enough??????? Try shimming up the front of the wing with some thin balsa. Too much glue and CA used along with heavy servos causing it to be to heavy to want to fly???? Maybe the motor is faulty?????
Old 12-24-2004, 01:02 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my BLT and have to agree it does not take abuse well.

I'm powering mine with a GWS 300 motor with C gearing and a 9 x 7 prop. I just added a small spruce stick over the shim for the motor, put two short dowels through it into the fuse.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:23 PM
rieger202

i was sick of the underpowered BLT and made a custom mount for an .049 i had sitting around and slapped it on, started it up and it flew like a real plane finally. Now im looking for a good electric plane again and i am thinking of getting the GWS E-Starter since im not that good at flying.