Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Badius Owners Club III

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 06:18 AM
rcverse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Badius Owners Club III

Well Dougie, after you get that Blade wired........ http://www.creas-it.it/asi_uk/254.htm

Here ya go, here's the skinny on the only FAR Part 103 legal, UL Heli ........
.and can proabably even get away with the added pontoons under the Part 103 weight exemption!!! .........No license..... and after you learn to fly the thing, you can just hop in your heli, and cruise down to your favorite fishing hole.
So for a Cool $35K back in 2004 (price has likely gone up)....along with a good stock of parts and maintenance, as some well know... it might run you just a bit more now,.... but hey you can't take it with you......

Meanwhile, I just hopped a ride in a BT-13 last weekend, had a ball as you can tell from the pics... the cranking and banking was a little rough on the innner ear, but kept my lunch down, and still a kick.... then managed to head to the clouds when I took the stick, and got to play around up there for 10-15 minutes, very nice .... then headed down to local guy's dirt strip, to beg a cup of coffee but wasn't home, so headed back up and bumped into another local with his Stearman out cruising around and did a little wing on wing, before heading back to airport.... one of the best hours I spent in a long time..... only my old HG could compare, and that'd be apples and oranges.......
I've had a couple short biplane rides, and caught an hour in a Cessna with Jane and David a while back, but this definitely took the cake.....
Once airborne can slide the cockpit open, hang your arm out the window, and just cruise, or crank and bank, go dodging in and out thru the clouds, and guess the old girl can still roll, though maybe best we didn't.... cruises 140, top speed 180.... and burns about 25 gal an hour, but can't think of a better way to burn a days wages........
So that'll give you an idea at least..... I'm working on him for a ride along the Cascade Crest next....
He's a hard guy to catch up with as hustling and ferrying planes all the time... but with a bit of patience think we can pull it off....

And meanwhile I just made reservation for a glider ride with a local guy in a couple weeks and finding out for $75 a ride I could also join the local club and be working on a student ticket.... 25 hrs and could be soloing.... and then for $160 a year and $50 a tow be flying the club gliders.... sounds pretty tempting..... for sure the ride, and maybe even working on a student ticket.... not quite HG, but has it advantages........ You up for a little towing Mike????

And just so you don't think I gone total slacker I did get the shingles back on the roof today.... all work and no play...

Better enjoy it while you can.... Jim

PS well seems RCU is little constipated tonite.... tried to load pics 3x now and even cut load in half, keeps crappin out.... We'll try again later under separate cover..... c'mon RCU
Old 09-07-2008, 07:51 AM
CaptainRandy

Pat,

Real sorry to hear about the Bird encounter. Make it a better story next time. Like this Big Bird came out of no where, and just attacked my plane. I fought him for a few minutes, but his friend joined in, and they took me out.

Ken, Ken, Ken,

You know how I feel about the F-20. I Loved it so much, I had to give it to you so that it would at least fly a few times.

I too was looking forward to flying it one day. OK, if you insist, I will fly your NEW one. Make it a faster one[X(]
Old 09-07-2008, 09:11 AM
rob737
My Feedback: (3)

pat and ken......sorry about your crashes! i feel your pain, i destroyed two planes last week (one was a favorite) and heavially damaged another (although the repairs went well with that one...even found some great touch-up paint for the epoxy seams).

charged up my packs last night, but it's breezy today (we just had ts hannah blow through). no flying today (see above). rob
Old 09-07-2008, 09:48 AM
export!

Ken this is kind of sick interest but now that you're a day removed and you've confirmed that most of the elecs are good.....

What did it sound like when it went in????
Old 09-07-2008, 09:56 AM
ktaylor

deleted, I've had enough of RCU
Old 09-07-2008, 10:05 AM
nyflyer56

Scott,
That's just so (snicker) WRONG!. He said it was out a couple of hundred yards, so that would muffle it.
Nothing quite matches the sound of a full built up balsa bird running through the hardwood tree tops (and lower) at full speed.

On a more serious note, what happened to Ken is one of my misgivings with the larger electric aircraft. They fly amazing, with awesome power, but I have now seen too many wrecked due to equipment failures. The Glitch that brought down GG's P-40 at the first fly in is another example.
No I might be wrong, that was a receiver problem I think, can't blame that on the electrics.
Anyway, crashing SUX, whatever you fly, but there is no way to preflight something like that BEC failure. Mac's crash of the U-Can_Do (gas) could have been prevented in a pre-flight/ repair/mod to his harness, but electronics work or they don't.

If only all this stuff was as reliable as the radios are now.

Mac,
Speaking of that, how did you make out on repairs to your engine? Or perhaps you haven't started them yet?
Old 09-07-2008, 10:05 AM
blk822

I lost another plane this weekend to but not flying. My wife called me on friday when I was at work, she was drivin my Jeep Liberty and I had the rear seats down and my slo stick back there from the preveous week end flying with Arrow. She asked if she could put the seats back up and I told her "NO" theres a plane still back there. She said"I'll be carful and move the plane, I said why do you need the seat up?, and she said "I just think it looks better and I don't like it down all the time. Well after work I came home and we went to the store and when we came out I poped the rear door and opened it to see my SS stuck between the the seat top ant the floor. the elevator and the rudder were folded over each other like a box top and the stick was bowed really bad. I think the shaft maybe bent also. So I said "What did you do??????" and she said" I put it in right I don't know what happened" and started to cry. I let her cry , I was pissed....now I need to get another plane.Monday is our first wedding anniversary , maybe she will get a new plane as a gift and I'll have to fly it for her. Not sure if I will replace the SS or buy a new 3D foamy. The SS is getting boring, but so relaxing to fly and reliable when not smashed.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:17 AM
CaptainRandy

This puts my Sweep wing F-14 to shame

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO5diaabCl8
Old 09-07-2008, 10:30 AM
nyflyer56

Pappy,
there used to be a guy in my club who had a Corsair that did that. He was an awesome scale modeler, and I had the pleasure of watching Dave M. fly many of his planes. He moved out west, and I think he is still building. He had this amazing P-47 that was covered with aluminum (tape) with all the rivet details etc... Never got to see that one fly.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:36 AM
gunfighterII

Phil,
Have'nt even started looking at the engine yet.

Except the price, $175[:@]
Old 09-07-2008, 10:37 AM
nyflyer56

Blk,
That is a tough way to lose a plane. at least when you crash, you have osmething to talk about, like Ken folding the wings on his Blitz and screaming "That was soooo Cool!!!" even before it hit the ground.

My old GF Kelley was bringing one of my planes to me. I had to leave it home as the batt was not fully charged (no field chargers then). It was a contest too. she carefully put it in her trunk, then slammed the lid on the tailfeathers. It was my Ace 4-40 Bipe, one of my favorites at the time too. I was able to fix it, but it never looked quite the same...
Old 09-07-2008, 10:38 AM
nyflyer56

Mac
That was a big 4 stroker as I recall, only $175? what type was it again?
Old 09-07-2008, 11:11 AM
gunfighterII

Phil,
It was a pumped O.S. 91 Surpass, it needs a cylinder head, carb body, 1 pushrod tube, gasket set, bearings, and the needle and seat assy. I will also get the small muffler pipe. I thought about the heli coil idea, I could still do that and have a spare head. I'm hoping it did'nt bend the crank, I don't think so.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=OSMG0890&P=Z

The bearings I will get at rc bearings.com $8
Old 09-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Stingray69

Someone showed up at the outlaw field with my channel # [:@] Had to take turns flying. I hate when that happens. Instead of having 15 plus flights, only got in six. [] Highlight of the day was doing about 5 Space Shuttle flights/glides. It's still so cool. The whole field usually stops flying just to watch. GLided it in right to my feet 3 out of the 5 attempts from an altitude of about 400ft. HDL time. [:'(]

These pics are from last year but re=posted in case anyone new hasn't seen it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88756.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	1027952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15529.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	1027953  
Old 09-07-2008, 11:31 AM
rob737

well, the wind died down a bit.........stopped at the park after dropping my kids off at their friend's. got in two packs, flew very carefully (doug's advice). had fun and brought my corsair back in one piece! good times. wifey's b-day this week, have to sneak out and get some stuff for her.....

sray......how do you get your shuttle to altitude (propulsion)? it looks cool! rob
Old 09-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Loubud

Geez
Lots of planes lost. Seems we can't even carry one in a car without trashing it.[&o]

Kate,
The ever Gracious Elaine and I are still in shock. After explaining what a UBEC is she still was in shock. I guess the only consolation to this was that it an equipment failure. Still SUX.

Rob,
Get Wifey something nice. Any Wifey that puts up with us is a good Wifey.

BLK
Happy Anniversary. See above.

Jim,
Elaine said I can't get the heli. Dunno why.
Sure is fun to cruise around in a real plane. I miss doing that.

Kate. That crash still SUX.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:20 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys......just got home from the field and remaidening the Corsir. I installed my new Turnigy 28 26 1350kv in it and was swinging a 9x6 prop. She flew great but I didn't like how slow the responses were so I upped the low end of the dual rates to 70% (had em at 60) and dropped the expo to 20% on both ail and ele channels. that was for the second battery (20C 3S 1300mAH) the first battery I flew for a good 6 minutes and landed and loved the scale look to it as i did some low flybys. No trim needed and I hand launched it.
The second flight was not as fun as the first one............... I tossed it and gain altitude and got it going stright up.......oops! She rolled over and was only about 30ft off the ground. Yup, I nosed it in and broke the stick mount, the prop and the ELE tip on one side. I EconKoted this so will have to drill a couple holes and slide in a couple pieces of carbon rod and CA then in. The cowling took a pretty good hit but is fixable. Not having a wattmeter, I have no idea how many watts I was pulling but I am guess only about 75W. Not enough to pull it out of trouble so will take this as a lesson learned and keep it up high and work on not trying to pull it out of danger but rather fly it out. My sim and I will be spending a bit of time together relearning the basics...........
Also took the Yak 55 and got 3 good flights out of it before i dumbthumbed it into the ground also. The wing is torn loose from the fuse and the GWS aluminum mount is twisted as well as another lost prop. Another fairly easy fix but was a little disheartening to drive 2 planes in the ground in one outing. Oh well......... after the second crash I left the TREX in the Van and decided I wasn't going to chance it. Time to get one of the cheapo helis up and running and start flying tose too. The colder fall air gives lots more bite and should make it interesting to start getting braver with the helis too.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 09-07-2008, 02:58 PM
rob737

two planes down in one day......done that myself, more than once![&o] i have turned over a new leaf and will be careful with my planes from now on, however.

will do lou.......great advice. rob
Old 09-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Airbourne in Japan

wow, a day packed full of crashes[:@] sorry to hear that. anyway i'm pretty well set for my first day's flying in over 2 weeks, looking good for today and tomorrow so far. i'll be glad to get back into the swing of things. planning on taking 6 planes, the hyperion sniper 3d epp profile, art tech 200 watt corsair and the hellcat, hyperion katana, vmar pc9 and something else. only 5am here and just getting light, but i'll have the planes packed into the car pretty early. beginning to get cold here now, just 18 degrees C last night and back to wearing a t-shirt at home
Old 09-07-2008, 03:25 PM
rob737

hey doug, good luck flying today. looks like hc has that catalina in brushless now! that's the one my brother was interested in, i just sent him the link. rob

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ss_motor_&_ESC
Old 09-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Airbourne in Japan

Rob, i know you're getting the cox christian eagle, but what was the other plane you ordered ?

Ken, the het rc super sniper is supposted to be their fastest plane http://www.warbirds-rc.com/Store/hetsso.html

wow, found some more planes to buy. these two companies, infinity and eflypower are both in Taiwan and excellent service and cheap shipping. i may get the crystal and the fiona, fancy having a plane called fiona. i'm not gonna get the d/f jets, but i'd like to, but i'm not really flying the ones i've got which are all new anyway http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...products_id=99 http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...oducts_id=3552 http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...oducts_id=3551 http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...oducts_id=3233 http://shop.eflypower.com/shop/views.asp?hw_id=1709 http://shop.eflypower.com/shop/views.asp?hw_id=1706
Old 09-07-2008, 04:43 PM
rob737

doug........getting the parkzone corsair! it's the pnp, since due to my recent crashes i have plenty of parts to get it flying.

looks like the cox eagle is made by the same place that produces them for art-tech, so i am really excited about that one, too. my old one flew awesome!

glad to see you are buying planes again! looks like brad bought a few, too........but i thought he was scaling down for his move???? rob
Old 09-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Airbourne in Japan

Rob, i'm fatigued with corsairs, but i bet the pz one is nice and big and i'll be interested to see what you think of it and how it flies. shame it doesn't come with retracts. a lot of my foamy warbirds are hand launcher / belly landers and they look good in the air without gear hanging down, but now i've got the new eflight sea fury with prebent retracts, i'm really spoilt. can't wait for their next warbird foamy, probably next year now. hope it's a hurricane or a mosquito
Old 09-07-2008, 04:51 PM
CaptainRandy

Lou,

Did you ever see that A-10 that I posted a link to?
Old 09-07-2008, 04:53 PM
rob737

i remember you said you had a bunch of corairs. it's always been my favorite bird, this addition will make two for me. i should be able to maiden it tomorrow, as long as it arrives eary enough in the day. i bet it will be awesome like it's sister the t28.

you are going to get me in trouble with those links! more jets! still really itching for one, i noticed one of those links had the l39 i liked. wish that one was pnp....i have rx's and servos and speed controllers, but no edf/motor units. not sure i want to try to fool with that building one of those......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.