Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Storm Launcher and Salt Water???

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Storm Launcher and Salt Water???

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 07:52 PM
definitivecars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storm Launcher and Salt Water???

Hey Guys,

So I am thinking of getting a storm launcher and I would mostly be using it in a salt water at a marina. Will this kill it really fast? Or is it pretty water proof? Can I just spray it off after and be cool?

What do you think?

Definitive
Old 02-29-2008, 11:31 PM
RockEnRoller6

Default RE: Storm Launcher and Salt Water???

Whats a storm launcher? Is that the air hogs boat/plane/glider/car? Hmmm, not sure about that situation, I would think that the salt would penetrate the foam body and weaken the structure. Never heard anyhing about the craft you mentioned, but you better hope the motors don't come in contact with the saltwater because they will fry and seize up. I myself wouldnt risk it. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:46 PM
definitivecars

Im wondering, since it is made for the water the motors should be able to get wet. So If i were to spray them off after, maybe it could prolong their life... I am not thinking that it would last a really long time. but I am hoping to get a few months out of it...

Has anyone had any experience with these things???

Definitive
Old 02-29-2008, 11:54 PM
RockEnRoller6

Well the properties of saltwater are so much different than that of freshwater which I asume this craft is made for. Salt buildup will acumulate almost anywhere. I used to do Marine/aquatic fish tank maintenance and you would be very suprised to see what saltwater would do to the equipment that was supposed to be immune to it, so I would be very careful if you decide to go ahead and run this thing in saltwater. Make sure you wipe it down/hose it off with freshwater and to take care with the battery and other electronics. You might want to search the forums to see if you can find any info on this thing.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:13 PM
definitivecars

Heh, funny you say that. I have actuallybeen in the Salt water aquarium hobby for 7 years now. I have a 250gal diplay tank and a 90gal reef! So I do know what it will do to things.

I also have jetskis, so I knowabout washing them off really well.

I am more worried about being able to spray it down very well, and not harm the electronics.

I also cant find any info on this subject anywhere...

Definitive
Old 03-01-2008, 05:25 PM
RockEnRoller6

Ah very nice, I used to raise clown fish and grow corals, but I got out of it after our pet store closed. Yeah with the storm launcher thing, I would just wash it off real good after you use. Should be fine.