Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Aerobird 3

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:52 AM
aircraftking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerobird 3

I picked up an AB3 at my LHS last week for just over $100. Although I read a really good review on the AB3 I still did not expect too much and only bought it to have something else other then the super cub to fly while I wait for my jets to charge at the field. Well to my surprise, this little AB3 is alot of fun! In fact I like it more then my super cub and the AB3 seems to handle wind really well too. It just kind of zips around up there and flies really really good. I would think this is the best RTF plane in this price range, certainly can't go wrong for the money.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:27 AM
Leo L

Default RE: Aerobird 3

I'm glad that you are enjoying your AB3. I have the earlier version, the Aerobird Challenger, that I have been flying for the past three years. If, and when, you get to the point that the AB3 is starting to get a little boring, modify the tail with the Pro Tail mod and you'll have a much more responsive plane. Basically, the mod changes the tips of the tail from being part of the stationary section to being part of the moving control surface. By doing this, the control surface more than doubles, allowing the plane to make very tight turns and twists. To make the mod, you will need some plastic tape with nylon reinforcing, some 5 minute epoxy and a good knife or hobby saw. Put a piece of tape across the gap between the control surface and the rest of the tail. Pack the gap with 5 minute epoxy, making sure that you don't get any on the hinge section, then place a second piece of tape across the top, sealing the epoxy between the two sections of tape. When the epoxy has hardened, add another piece of tape to the joint, with the reinforcement running perpendicular to the first two pieces. mark a line extending the filled joint to the front of the tail and cut along this line, right up to the start of the hinge. Repeat on the other side.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43458.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	921363  
Old 04-04-2008, 08:02 AM
crashed out
My Feedback: (1)

Many times people think you have to spend close to the national budget to have a good time. I flew for many years then gave it up when I moved to Maine and decieded to start up again last year. Now I have a 10 yr old learning on the AB3. This has to be one of the neatest little planes for little money. We have made up lite wt skies for the snow and found you can even take off and land on a paved road in addition to the snow. The parts are supper cheep and readly available. I buy from Hobbyzone and these guys are super to deal with. Can you tell we like this bird? anyway ENJOY!!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 10:02 PM
aircraftking

I had my AB3 out today in some fairly high winds and it was flying nicely without any problems. I had been able to get over 15min of flying out of a fully charged 8.4 1000 with plenty enough remaining power left to land where I wanted, on the road, right by my feet. [8D] Leo, that mod sounds like a great idea and it certainly is not hard to do. I am sure I will give that a try after a while. I can always just get an extra v-tail wing if I want to go back to stock for whatever reason but after I mod it I doubt I would want the stock tail back on. My brother (in law) picked up a Swift (practically new!) on ebay for under $100 and he loved it but got blinded by the sun when he was flying last week and crashed. He needs a new fuselage now. Anyway he bought the Swift after seeing how good my AB3 had flown. He is talking about getting an AB3 tomorrow while he waits on his Swift fuselage. The way I see it is why not since he already has 2 Super Cubs and these Aerobird planes use the same batteries. I can see these planes as something which can last, especially since Leo says he has been flying an ABC for the last 3 years. Not hard to believe since 60% of these planes are made out of plastic and not foam. Great value for the money and 20x better then any of those cheap chinese outfits which you can find online. You know the ones that don't even fly, can't even complete a maiden flight?
Old 04-07-2008, 09:57 AM
johnpcunningham

I sgree. I started on the challenger and then got the AB3. This was my starting plane and my buddy and I go dogfighting on the weekends with the Sonic Combat modules. What a blast!!!
To realy make these birds respond, install a brushless motor and what it go. Use your sameradio by using the EZ-ESC or use your own radio systems and use the EZ-XPORT module to support the XPORT modules.
The brushless system really makes these planes respond.

JC
Old 04-21-2008, 09:05 PM
stanman242

ORIGINAL: johnpcunningham

Use your sameradio by using the EZ-ESC or use your own radio systems and use the EZ-XPORT module to support the XPORT modules.
The brushless system really makes these planes respond.

JC
You don't need the EZ-ESC on the AB3, just plug any ESC into the first set of pins to the right of the two servo plugs on the rx and away you go.
This also works good if you buy an AB3 from ebay with a "bad" ESC.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:20 AM
johnpcunningham

The EZ-ESC is needed on the challenger and the P51 Parkzone mustangs. The radios have changed since then and it is not required on the newer planes
Old 04-22-2008, 08:42 PM
aircraftking

I imagine BL would take it a whole step further. Can one of you recommend a good BL motor and ESC for the AB3?
Old 04-24-2008, 12:34 PM
johnpcunningham

I've been using the E-flight SIX series, but it may be a little much for the plane. You do need a "480 size" motor and it perfectly mounts where the older motor went. Uou do need to dril out the centers of the original prop to get it to fit on the shaft. I have found that sticking with the original prop is the best so far. I've tried the other props that go on the adapter and getting the right prop where you don't bun up the ESC or motor takes some time. Going with the original prop works fine.

But the flights are amazing! Speed is insane and dogfights with other Aerobirds makes it so unfair.

Also, use the original batteries to keep the weight balance correct. Never run a 11.1V Lipo for you can burn up the circuit board if left plugged in. Try two 7.4 LIPOs together and use a Y connector for the power. The 2 provides a good weight balance and the LIPO will give you 3X the flight times.

JC