Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

XPD-8 EP Ducted Fan Jet

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:57 PM
aircraftking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XPD-8 EP Ducted Fan Jet

Just wondering if anyone here has this plane...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMKN3&P=0

It basically looks like a jet engine with wings and a canopy in the rear. I just ordered one to put the electrics from my crashed mirage 2000 in it. If anyone has this plane I would like to know what system you set it up with and how you like it. I know it blows past that AB3 (it looks like an AB3 anyway) in the video. I was hoping I can make it into somewhat of a mini stryker c but probably faster. It appears it can be built to go well over 100mph depending on which motor and esc is put into it. Anyway, I already ordered it so I am going to give it a go.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:57 PM
opjose

Default RE: XPD-8 EP Ducted Fan Jet

I lightly crashed my brand new Synapse RxR, so I was looking for something to put all of it's electronics into.

The Synapse flew VERY well with the stock brushless motor and a 1000mAh 11v battery pack. I had no complaints on the power and speed.
It seemed slower to me, than to anyone who was watching as they all commented on it being VERY quick...

I lost a plastic wing tip on landing. What surprised me at how bad the paint & finish became after landing in the tall grass where it came down.

The plane looks horrid now.

Since the wing tip is not available as a seperate part, I'm yanking everything and putting it into a XPD-8.

Given the performance on the Synapse I expect that this system will turn the XPD-8 into a rocket.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Carnifax

I have the XPD-8 and this plane is pretty nice. I have a Park 400 4200 with the stock fan. I am running 3s 1500 for power. With this setup, it moves out. Im not sure what the top end is but it is faster than what you think (if that makes any sense).

Mine likes to fly fast and will stall rather easily at low speeds but at high speed, look out.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:29 AM
opjose

I put the electronics, servos and DF/motor of the Synapse RxR version into the XPD-8 and did a static test.

I found out why my Synapse had crashed.

When I went to full power after the motor had been running at about 60% power for a minute, after a second or so my elevons travelled in opposite directions, at the same time the motor seemed to hesitate or quickly speed up/down.

This would have sent the original Synapse into the ground, which is what happened to me.

I assumed that the problem was with interference or a problem with the RX I used. So I changed the RX out and still had the same problem.

I could not find the cause.

Finally in desperation I changed out the ESC for a CHEAP TowerPro one I had. The problem went away, and I had no problem with the RX I used in prior tests.

As a result I would NOT recommend the RxR Synapse, and the kit only if you clear coated it to protect the paint scheme.

On mine the paint was pealing off on the trim right in the box!

The "Aerocell" foam hype is nothing special and if anything seems more fragile!

For the money I paid for the Synapse, I merely ended up with a working Rimfire/Ammo motor and DF unit.... the servos are also a POS.