Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone f4U Corsair Rtf

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:39 PM
CastorTroy2150
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone f4U Corsair Rtf

I was flying tonight and had a small boy watching me. I fly next to some soccer fields and it always draws a crowd as there are a lot of games going on this time of year. As I Was doing the 5th of my many mock"strafing runs" at full throttle and pulling up at about 3-4 feet( stupid and made my backside pucker but sooo worth the near disaterous crash)I noticed the boy was making machinegun noises, then when I pulled up for the roll out he was making engine noises. I couldnt help but laugh, as I was doing the same thing in my mind, firing on imaginary japanese patrols[X(]. LOL I couldnt help but chuckle to myself, and at the same time couldnt believe how much this sport does turn us grown men into little boys haha.

Mad, I totally know what you are talking about with the throttle. It bugs me as well, what can you do right.... On another note, when my typhoon arives I will not be needing the Charger, TX,or RX, anyo0ne interested, let me know, offer me something and I will accept as long as it is reasonable. I will then send an invoice via PayPal and ship the stuff as soon as I recieve payment. After it arrives, I will also be putting it up on the buy/sell part of RCU, so act now as this is a parkflyers thread... Just dont need em and they are brand new.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:54 PM
mad web tv scientist

Castor, fun post! You are reminding me that I need to practice my strafing runs more. I also need to start bringing my other maneuvers down closer to the deck. Problem is, I'm not real brave yet. Just the slightest little thing can really freak me out.

After paying much more than expected for new glasses today I just haven't the courage to talk to the wife about buying more airplane equipment right away, sorry. Maybe with my new gasses I will be able to be a little more bold at the controls of my warbirds. You know what they say though: "There are bold pilots and there are old pilots, but there are no old bold pilots."

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif]
[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:03 PM
CastorTroy2150

HAHA I hear you mad. Went flying for 1 battery worth of time next door at the Leadercronz, a local soccer club. No a drop of wind, man did she scream. I was skimming 2-3 feet of fthe deck when pulling out of my strafing runs. My father in law was laughing it was so cool. I realllllly need to get a video on here... I still pucker up a bit when I do it though so you know how I feel. IT is a great plane. I jsut cant wait for my typhoon. Found a Koshyo BF-109 .40 size ARF for cheap and a House of Balsa 36" BF-109. I may pick one up to convert as I want another warbird and have wanted a german plane for a while. Anyhoo, I should prolly cool it witht he crazy manuvers but it was so windless I couldnt help myself.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:27 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: CastorTroy2150

HAHA I hear you mad. Went flying for 1 battery worth of time next door at the Leadercronz, a local soccer club. No a drop of wind, man did she scream. I was skimming 2-3 feet of fthe deck when pulling out of my strafing runs. My father in law was laughing it was so cool. I realllllly need to get a video on here... I still pucker up a bit when I do it though so you know how I feel. IT is a great plane. I jsut cant wait for my typhoon. Found a Koshyo BF-109 .40 size ARF for cheap and a House of Balsa 36" BF-109. I may pick one up to convert as I want another warbird and have wanted a german plane for a while. Anyhoo, I should prolly cool it witht he crazy manuvers but it was so windless I couldnt help myself.
2 - 3 feet off the deck is a lot more exciting if you're inverted
Old 09-23-2008, 07:42 PM
MAX HEADSPEED

ORIGINAL: GaGeeBees

2 - 3 feet off the deck is a lot more exciting if you're inverted

EYES OPEN OR CLOSED?

I was able to fly my Corsair & Trojan for 10 minutes/one flight pack each and practice low level low speed passes so I guess I should give it some throttle until I have them fire-walled two feet off the deck. Can you say Z Foam confetti?
Old 09-24-2008, 02:36 PM
dlc2222

Hi there, I just received my RTF Corsair on Saturday about 10:30 and by 11:15 it was airborne! Everything went together well and the maiden flight came off pretty well with just a little trim on elevator. Of course the most important part of the maiden flight is the landing and the plane settled in for a nice glide and bounced slightly(flying off concrete street), but settled right down and slowed to a straight track. The take off was pretty straight as well and after several flights it just lifts off after about 20 feet with no ground looping tendencies. I tried the 3 blade and noticed it slowed down the plane a little. I am going to try an APC 2 blade 9x9 which I have on the E-flite p-47 foamy. I already have 12 flights on it and it is settling in pretty good as a regular and "old faithful " flyer.

Arnold
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41574.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1040222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54572.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1040223  
Old 09-24-2008, 04:54 PM
mad web tv scientist

2252 Z

2222, your first picture of the F4U with the three bladed prop is so neat that I am really, really tempted to buy another plane for mostly display purposes set up like yours! Yes, I think this airplane is unbelievable! I tell people that it can do everything I want except whistle Dixie, and I suspect someday it will even be able to do that too!

I have some model/full scale questions you and/or others might have some thoughts about. The most obvious is the propeller down thrust on the model vs. full scale. Full scale fighters seem to have very little down thrust. So far, I can't get my mind around why so much down thrust is needed on the model. I unintentionally used too much down thrust on my first kit R/C model back in '59. After spiraling in several times one way or the other, while trying to adjust the plane to fly straight, as the plane finally flew nice and straight right toward a big tree trunk, it dawned on me - too much down thrust! WHAM!!!

I recently got a plausible sounding answer from a former jet fighter pilot about why prop driven WWII planes show the center of gravity location as being ahead of the wing quarter chord. Whereas, all of my R/C machines work very well with the CG behind the wing quarter chord. The former jet pilot suggested that the main contributing factor here is the vastly higher wing loading of full scale planes. My hypothesis is that the destabilizing forces are proportionally much greater on full scale planes over models thus necessitating a further forward CG for stability purposes. Can you help me out here?

One more question - How does the Corsair fly compared to the big machines you are used to flying?

Thanks, and thanks to everybody else for making this thread so much FUN!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:53 PM
David Eichstedt
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: mad web tv scientist

snip

I have some model/full scale questions you and/or others might have some thoughts about. The most obvious is the propeller down thrust on the model vs. full scale. Full scale fighters seem to have very little down thrust. So far, I can't get my mind around why so much down thrust is needed on the model.

snip
This is probably puzzling for a number of repeat ParkZone customers, so let me offer a simple explanation.

Our manufacturing partner seems to have a love affair with down thrust. Every time we work on a new design, they always put in a bunch. Our relationship is such that they listen pretty closely to the engineering direction we give them, but sometimes we have to pick the battles we're going to wage in getting a product right. Often, down thrust is not as important as, say, scale outline or all up weight. We don't have as much absolute control over every single aspect of the product design as you might think. We have a lot, but it's not 100%. But we do work together as a team, and that's part of the team process.

We are helping them understand how to trim an airplane without resorting to lots of down thrust, but it's going to take some time.

David
Old 09-25-2008, 01:54 AM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: guapoman2000

Considering that Central Florida has enjoyed very good weather conditions and today was one example ... I just checked Thursday morning and it seems to be as perfect as you can get around here!

http://usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/c...hange+Location

Charging my Video Camcorder batteries and will bring for more Video footage!

Gerry will be my Video camcoder person!
Hi guys!

Nope, I have not had an opportunity to ask anyone that really knows how to operate and have the skill factor to track an RC Model using a Video Camcorder so, just lots of flying at my Titusville, Florida RC Club (Moon Port Modelers) and also at a large open field South of Orlando International Airport.

Just yesterday, Wednesday, September 24th, 2008 at Moon Port Modelers RC Club and around 8:40am as I arrived rather late, the winds where kicking at around 10 MPH and gusting to 12 MPH!!! You guested it, I was the only one flying as the Coffee Commandos where under the tin roof hut and drinking their coffee or whatever drink type they usually have and all were amazed how well my Park Zone F4U Corsair flew in that blistering wind with gusts!!

Can you believe that I landed the model with no power and glided her in using some rudder input to keep those wings level and slight nose pitch down to keep airspeed.

She touched down perfect on the lumpy grass field...it needs cutting![>:]

This is the very first time that I fly this model under what I call extreme wind conditions and did so with very good results.

The Corsair was the only RC airplane model in my car that day!

Happy Landings!
Carlos
Old 09-25-2008, 02:25 AM
guapoman2000

Oh, I almost forgot!

Speaking of blistering winds and rain.....

This past weekend, specifically Saturday, September 20th, 2008, I was invited by a RC Club member to their FUN FLY event at the Keystone Cloud Busters RC Club within the Keystone Airpark, an active executive airport with a runway disbanded and this is where they fly out of. This club is located a few mile North-East from Gainesville, Florida.

The weather conditions where not that good but, I drove all this distance and was determined to fly no matter what so, I took out all my Foam Park Flyer models (Park Zone F4U Corsair, T-28 Trojan, SLOW STOCK-X) and yes, my beloved Hobby Zone Super Cubs, one completely stock and the other with the brushless power motor. The Stock Powered Super Cub using separate Receiver and ESC (Not the stock Electronics) but stock power system was able to perform the best hammer heads, loops, 1/2 rolls, and best of all crabbing into the wind and passing all at the flight line back and forth in that blistery wind!

The Park Zone F4U Corsair did not disappoint, this model flew with the best sport style flying you can ever dream and those there at the FUN FLY was very impressed. I was successful in commanding the model to come in for a touch and go and because one wheel was being held by just a rubber spacer the wheel fell off in mid-flight as soon as I commanded the model to zoom back upwards and someone went out to retrieve it as I continue flying the Corsair. When I landed....I just maintained aileron control to keep that wing that was missing the wheel up as much as I could until it finally came down and the model slightly nosed over and I heard several hand claps in the back ground.

Here are some neat pictures of me flying in perhaps 10 MPH winds with slight rain!!! (Look carefully and you will see the missing wheel!!)

Name:	Db84647.jpg
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	1040556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22865.jpg
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1040557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37635.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	1040558  
Old 09-25-2008, 10:52 AM
dlc2222

Hi there, I response to the question about down thrust and right thrust, I trusted the manufactures and just took off with the plane. As I indicated in my original thread, I added just a little down elevator and that was the only trim adjustment I had to make. Once in the air, the planes does emmelman turns, split S's, figure 8's and all the other appropriate manuvers. I have flown 1/6 scale and 1/7 scale Corsairs and there is really no difference once you get comfortable with the particular characteristics of a plane. Although I would say the big planes fly while little planes flit, this plane flys pretty rock solid. Windy conditions do effect flight characteristics.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:40 AM
CastorTroy2150

Hmmm down thrust...what is that...haha. Never given more then half a thought to that stuff. Got my typhoon today, shes paired up witht he same radio as the Corsair. In case anyone is interested, stock lipo charger,PZ transmitter,reciever and reciever batteries still in plastic, for sale. All brand new they are still sitting in the box for the plane, never even turned them on, jsut replaced the reciever with my spectrum one. Ill let it go for 60.00 and 5.00 shipping anywhere in the US of A. Overseas we can figure it out. If you want I can send an invoice with itemized discription via Paypal, or I will take money orders. Not a bad deal since the brand new charger will cost you 35.00ish

Almost have my scale parts kit done from sparky-rcu, its nice, you guys should really look into getting one. Easy to paint and do, but a workd of difference once it is done
Old 09-25-2008, 01:50 PM
mad web tv scientist

David, I think I've got it! It's funny how trying to understand something sometimes requires the stress of asking questions to stimulate though.

Okay, on close fly-bys I have noticed that throttling up quickly causes a noticeable nose down reaction. Full throttle trim vs. reduced throttle trim also reflects this down thrust tendency which is designed to minimize tip stalling tendencies under marginal flying conditions. I intentionally trim both ailerons with about 1/16 inch up deflection in an attempt to enhance anti tip stalling tendencies.

I have always preferred performance over "prettiness" (?), so that makes PZ fighters the most beautiful warbirds on the planet to me!

2222, thanks for your response! Hesitation by some to get their own Corsair is going to cause them a lot of regrets! There just won't be nearly enough to go around now! I can't help but feel sorry for all who do not own their very own PZ F4U!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Old 09-25-2008, 02:56 PM
crmwell

I just found this on the net. Its the original plane our parkzone is copied from!
http://www.f4ucorsair.com/legends/nx773rd.jpg
Sounds like everybody is happy with their Corsair, I know I am!!
Old 09-25-2008, 03:11 PM
CastorTroy2150

ORIGINAL: crmwell

I just found this on the net. Its the original plane our parkzone is copied from!
http://www.f4ucorsair.com/legends/nx773rd.jpg
WOW! Thanks for that link crmwell, its nice to see where our actual plane is modeled from. She sure is abeaut in real life as well. Looking at tis picture I cant help but notice how great a job Parkzone did on the recreation!
Old 09-25-2008, 05:32 PM
ggunners

ORIGINAL: crmwell I just found this on the net. Its the original plane our parkzone is copied from! http://www.f4ucorsair.com/legends/nx773rd.jpg
Also check out http://www.marinesdream.com/. N773RD. The walk around video is very cool.

More pics here: http://www.mucheswarbirds.com/FG1DMD.html

ggunners
Old 09-26-2008, 01:50 PM
mad web tv scientist

quapoman, okay, you have me convinced that I must put a rudder servo in my Spitfire. There is a dandy little 1/3 ounce, 16.7 Torque (oz-in) "Nano servo" in Tower Hobbies catalog. Could that be made to work in my Spit? I must keep the extra weight to 1/2 oz or less to get the flying performance I want without having to go to "brushless" if that is possible.

Thank you for your inspirational post reporting. This Corsair is really turning into something BIG!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Old 09-26-2008, 01:58 PM
fieldsofflying

Hello, My first plane was a super cub by Hobby zone. Great first time plane,then went with a Park Zone J-3 cub. Also a great plane to start with. Then got the T 28 Trojan, my first flight was bad. It was my first 4 ch. plane,broke the nose off. I did not know when you move aileron you had to give elevator up. Got the plane going again and it flies like a champ. I am going to get the f4u Corsair soon.Hope it flies like the Trojan. From Fieldsofflying;
Old 09-27-2008, 02:48 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: mad web tv scientist

quapoman, okay, you have me convinced that I must put a rudder servo in my Spitfire. There is a dandy little 1/3 ounce, 16.7 Torque (oz-in) "Nano servo" in Tower Hobbies catalog. Could that be made to work in my Spit? I must keep the extra weight to 1/2 oz or less to get the flying performance I want without having to go to "brushless" if that is possible.

Thank you for your inspirational post reporting. This Corsair is really turning into something BIG!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

I am not familiar with that servo and I do not know what kind of flying style you are looking for. The faster the model the more Torque you would need on the servo.

Are you running STOCK electronics on that Park Zone Spitfire? If so, you perhaps would need to stick with the Stock Servos that come with that model.

I use Hitec HS-81 Std for that size model for rudder and elevator. They maybe a little overkill but, they will not fail in a dive.

Here's an example:
http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-81_micro.html
Old 09-27-2008, 02:58 PM
guapoman2000

IMPORTANT TIP!!!!

Whatever you do, do not attempt to bend that main landing gear wire without taking it out from the Plastic Wing mount as you will certainly crack that mount and insert tube if you apply too much pressure while bending the wire.

I learned this the hard way and fortunately, I did not cause too much damage on the Plastic Wing Mount and I had to remove the entire assembly off the wing. I used a small screwdriver and lifted the entire plastic mount with wire and all out. I cleaned off the rubbery glue residue and proceeded to re-enforce the cracked plastic mount and used 5-minute epoxy.

Once the entire main landing gear with the plastic mount was removed, I then proceeded to remove the Wire out from the Plastic mount and using medium size pliers I bent the main landing gear "Wire" itself back to it's required angle and once the epoxy was cured, I re-installed the Landing Gear Wire back onto the Plastic mount. Using 5-minute epoxy, I glued back the entire main landing gear assembly back on the wing.

I have attached some pictures.

Name:	Xv63713.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1041810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62043.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1041811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86448.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1041812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58742.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1041813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw20985.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1041814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jz39270.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1041815  
Old 09-27-2008, 06:56 PM
aviator24

Just got back from the field with PKZ Warbird collection. Man is the Corsair ever a hoot to fly. Put on bigger tires and it really helps on the grass field I fly on. Love the sight of the Corsair taxiing back to me after a landing, way cool. Just a sweet plane all the way around.
On another note, I took off my Cowl and was going to clip the screw that was protruding into the battery compartment. It appears this has been corrected with a short screw outta the factory?? Is this the case or am I missing something?? It does not stick out? I bought this Corsair yesterday. Have they fixed this at the factory???
Old 09-28-2008, 06:37 PM
aviator24

Ok, had this awesome plane two days now. Have over a dozen flights on it.
Still have not been able to see or feel the long motor mount screw? Could it be they fixed this at the factory?? I am using 2200 mah packs and not a dent on em.
Is the two blade factory prop the best one? Would I notice any difference if I balance it? More power? Longer flight??
Well I flew it in 20 mph gusts today. Wind was not an issue. All the gas flyers at the field were pretty impressed as was I.
On my final landing, I had a nasty cross wind. Had to touch her down on one wheel to keep the plane straight on the runway. It was acutally a pretty impressive looking landing. Thing is, it ripped my landing gear and mount out, dang it. Got it gluing as I type, reinforced the other side too.
Any other tips or tidbits I should know about this great airplane?
Thanks...
Old 09-28-2008, 08:00 PM
rcminh

I just bought a Parkzone F4U Corsair RTF. I'm noticing that a hissing noise is coming from the receiver. I don't know how to stop it or to fix it.
Does anybody knows how to fix it? Please help me.
Thanks,
Rcminh
Old 09-28-2008, 08:27 PM
aviator24

rcminh,
Sure it is the receiver? Mine makes a noise as well. I think it is a servo. I can wiggle my sticks and get it to quit but it usually comes back. I seem to have read on here it is common and nothing to worry about??
Old 09-29-2008, 12:08 AM
moogly

Its ussually one of the servos they all seen to do it the trojans and the corsairs not a worry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.