Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

THE PARK ZONE "GET REAL" WARBIRD CHALLENGE!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

THE PARK ZONE "GET REAL" WARBIRD CHALLENGE!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 08:00 AM
Whiznr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: THE PARK ZONE "GET REAL" WARBIRD CHALLENGE!!!!!!!

AWESOME PRIZE ADDED!!!!!

1st Place: Complete Corsair with additional DX7!!

2nd Place: PNP Corsair with 2 lipos!!

3rd Place: Spektrum 6100 Rx & Park Zone T-Shirt (L)!!!!

4th Place (viewer's choice): An autographed photo and copy of "Bluenoser Tales" book, by Robert "Punchy" Powell of the 352nd FG!!!!! A REAL living Legend!!!

Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 AM
AE1 Lambert
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Whiznr

Nice work Belgian!!!

Reminder to all participants.... "tick tick tick tick............"
Thanks for the reminder[:@] I'm having a heck of a time with decals. The water slide paper I got from a LHS was for lazerjets. I can't find any locally for an inkjet and the print shop in my town want run my paper through there printer. If thats not enough, I dropped my transmitter and broke the buddy switch. It cuts out control at random now, so that has to be fixed before I can fly. I am being deployed to Alaska on Friday and still need to pack and my wife got home yesterday. She has been gone for a month and Monday was our 7 yr anniversary. Did I say the Navy has me working 12hrs a day?

You could say I'm feeling the pressure!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Whiznr

Not to worry, as I bet a contest like this will happen again in the future.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Whiznr

The deadline has passed. Judging starts today, with results announced Saturday the 9th.

BEST OF LUCK!!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Whiznr

Before the WINNER is announced, there's a bit of research left on my part. This thing is down to the wire. I have narrowed the winning planes to 4 top contenders. The points are SO close that it will take a little while longer. I will STILL POST THE WINNERS ON SATURDAY THE 9th, but it will probably be somewhere in the middle of the day as I've had very little sleep and need a clear head to make to make my final decision. Please standby for the announcement.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:48 AM
the belgian

quote;"I've had very little sleep and need a clear head to make to make my final decision. Please standby for the announcement."

What a rough night downtown can do to a man...
Have a cold shower and grab that coffee,sir!
There are decisions to be made.

Strenght with the judging and to all who send in an entry,thanks for sharing the ideas.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Whiznr

WINNERS ANNOUNCED!!!!!! Go here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post10314166
Old 08-10-2008, 04:39 AM
the belgian

We did a great job on our plane but as Whiznr said(and i can only understate that)others did a far more better job on their warbirds.
In this case the winnes have deserved their prize!
Have fun and fly safely(or was that drive safely?)

About my entries fate;I flew the plane on a little rc-airshow and landed it softly on the grass only meters in front of the audience as a little boy ran over to it and picked the plane up,started to run away with it and stumbeled over it and fell on top of the plane!We tried to talk to the boys' mother(Dutch toerists)but she would not pay for the damage or even say sorry saying only"these things happen and you can't blame a kid to act as it did!".
I could have contacted the police to get my damage payed for but i left it like that.

Sorry,no pictures on te event,i realy didn't fel like taking pics...[:'(]
Old 08-10-2008, 10:23 AM
reprobate

Really sorry to hear that news Belgian. Don't know how or why people think they can ignore their responsibilities to their children, after all, those kids are just reflections of their parents. I think, in view of what you described, that the Police option would have been the right option despite the hassle. People like that need to know that wrong has been done and they need to put it right too!

Good luck for the future and make sue you land further from the kids and nearer to you. All you have to do then is SHOUT at them if they begin to move near the plane. It works 99% of the time.

Reprobate.[>:]
Old 08-12-2008, 11:29 AM
emperor187

Shoot wish my idiotic work's firewall wouldnt block rcgroups (but is ok with rcuniverse). I wanna see the entries darnit! ha!
Old 08-12-2008, 01:15 PM
the belgian

Same problem here...
I had to use my daughters laptop to see the winners.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:50 PM
the belgian

quote:
AND THE WINNER IS......!!!!!!

Alrighty folks, here we go!! Before I announce the top 3 winners, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU READ THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH THOROUGHLY!!

4th place- is to be chosen by the 9 contestants, and announced one week from today. Only the remaining 6 planes are in contention for "viewer's choice" 4th place. The top 3 are not eligible. 4th Place winner will be announced on Saturday the 16th of August.

First of all, EVERYONE did an OUTSTANDING job!!!! Hats off to each and everyone of you for some remarkable work and effort.

And boy, ya'll thought your job was hard, judging this thing was a BEAR!!!!

Judging was done as follows, PAINT SCHEME, MARKINGS, DOCUMENTATION, DETAIL. The main categories as stated in the RULES are Paint, Markings, Documentation. Detail was the "bonus points" category. Each entry started with 10 points in the 3 main categories. Points were then deducted as inaccuracies, "gray areas", and such were discovered. As you will read below, "gray areas" did not help anyone, as there were plenty of entries with NO "gray area" issues. Enough said there, either it was right and plainly proven or not. Bonus points were gained as follows: 1 point for each detail added, 1 point if that detail was accurate. Example: added a cockpit- 1 point. The cockpit was accurate, gauges in the right place, correct gun sight & seat back, pilot uniform correct... - an extra point for a total of 2 possible. Weathering only gets 2 as accuracy is limited to judge. 1 for minor weathering, 2 for going the extra mile. So as you can see, things can balance out!! Everyone had plenty of chances here to make or break their entry.

Even though everyone did a great job, "Mr. Nice Guy" has to leave the room, and "Mr. Get Real" will speak from here out. It was a brutal contest.

KEEP IN MIND, THIS CONTEST IS "THE GET REAL" CHALLENGE, as you read on.

Several contestants chose to represent planes that had limited documentation, which left them in a "gray area". Where as other contestants chose to represent planes that have thorough documentation and NO "gray area". I personally found at least ONE plane of each of the 4 types that has thorough documented history available on just the web itself. I hope nobody expected to win on a "gray area" challenge, because the rest of the competition speaks for itself. The key here would be to choose a plane that has historical documentation to back up your work. Choosing a plane with lack of available documentation is the contestants decision.
Funny observation in addition to the above paragraph, is there are literally TONS of WELL documented P-51s. Yet only 1 entered, and even it had a few issues that I'll go over later.
Judging was extremely "nit-picky" as the entries were so close in their presentation...... for the most part. Artist representations were acceptable in documentation, though having an actual picture of the REAL plane will score better. Once again, it comes down to which plane you chose to do. Some had documentation that made it difficult to prove or back up their work, (and I even researched each plane myself to check). While others had such great documentation that it revealed flaws in their work!! I spent MANY hours going through each and every entry. So here's a brief review of the overall playing field, without mentioning anybody's names. This will show how I narrowed the playing field down to 4 planes, then the top 3. 4th place will be judged by the contestants, those planes to be picked from are from what is left. The top 3 can not be chosen for viewers choice.

At least one entry had no proof that the plane they represented existed. The group and squadron, yes, but not the plane itself. One entry had group, squadron, artist pic, NO pilot name, and the pic showed the colors to be different than the models color scheme. Another entry represented a plane that only has 2 markings total, but only did one and not correctly scaled, plus chose a plane with limited documentation, (which I found at least one other one on the web that had thorough data). One entry had limited documentation that made it hard to prove whether it's representation was accurate, and I couldn't find any more documentation available either. Again, should of chose a different plane of that type to represent, as there were PLENTY out there. Another entry's documentation was SO good, it revealed 3 major flaws in it's markings, and the fact that they chose to make their plane represent 2 different versions of the same plane. One entry used the stock paint scheme, and left the PZ channel sticker under the cowling.... oops!!

If anyone needs a breakdown of their entry, please PM me for your detailed results.

AND HERE ARE THE TOP 3 WITH CRITIQUE!!!!!

These contestants chose well documented planes, and went the extra mile.

3rd place- Sniper1 with "Petie 3rd" P-51
Sniper1 did not get this far just because he entered a "Bluenoser". He went the extra mile with accurate paint scheme and great detail. Where he got hurt, (and missed 2nd place by only one point) was total scoring, documentation and markings. One major oversight was he left the stock white-black-white-black-white D-Day stripes under the wing. "Petie 3rd" only had 1 black stripe under each wing. Documentation had 2 incorrect statements. None of the 12 352nd P-51s in the New Years Day Battle at Y-29 had full drop tanks as Sniper1 stated Meyers did. In fact they were only planning to go up for a "patrol" not a long range venture. I personally have met with Alden Rigby, (who shot down 4 that day) on 3 different occasions, he was in Y-29 and can confirm that no drop tanks were on. Also, J.C. Meyer was not the highest scoring ace of the 8th AF. In fact George Preddy had more victories than Meyer, and Col. Francis "Gabby" Gabreski was the highest scoring ace of the 8th AF in WWII. All said, VERY well done Sir!!!!!!!

Paint- 10
Markings- 8
Documentation- 9
Detail- 7 extra bonus points. (Great detailing & accurate).

Total- 34

2nd place- Kungfubadboy with "Black 13" FW-190
Kungfu only made the deadline by something like 1 hour! Accurate paint scheme, good markings, good detail, flawless documentation. Where he got hurt was markings. The "Junta" card is too small and not placed in accordance with the provided photo. Nor was the forward fuel marking, which needed to be back further from where Kungfu placed it. Those marking mistakes are minor in comparison to many other entries. What saved his butt and got him in the top 3 was documentation, paint scheme accuracy, and some detail. Particularly the accuracy of the detail. Remember, he only won 2nd by 1 point!!

Paint- 10
Markings- 8
Documentation- 10
Details- 7 extra bonus points. (Very accurate detailing).

AND THE WINNER IS................. REPROBATE with "RED ONE" FW-190!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This thing was amazing!!! That said, there were 2 mistakes. ONLY 2. The name on the left side under the canopy is smaller than the real one was. And the swastika on the tail does not have the white outline that the real one had. They are however the CORRECT markings in the CORRECT place. Here's a an example of good decision making. His documentation has an artist representation and a real photo, (yes I researched that photo during judging, and it is in fact "Red 1"). If you look at the artist pic, the gray on top goes all the way across the nose. The real picture shows that it stops at aft of the cowling. Reprobate chose the right one. Always go with the REAL one! Can't say enough about the detailing, and the fact that it's ACCURATE detailing. The guns and placement of the guns, type of drop tank and the fact that the oil and grim streaks actually flow aft as they would in prop blast. I also found a pic of the real "Red 1" that he didn't include but shows that the red dots on the gear doors are accurate, and I found that on accident while looking for accuracies in his text documentation!
Only an accurate cockpit could have spread the points further.

Paint- 10
Markings- 8
Documentation- 10
Details- 9 extra bonus points. (Extremely well done and accurate!!).

Total- 37

WAY TO GO!!!! AND CONGRATULATIONS TO THE WINNERS!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2008, 02:20 PM
sniper1

PETIE 3RD IS NOW FOR SALE ON EBAY IF ANYONE IS STILL INTERESTED

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:L:LCA:GB:1123