Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

any tips far a parkzone t-28 trojan pilot?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

any tips far a parkzone t-28 trojan pilot?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:10 AM
crazychris46dividedby2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any tips far a parkzone t-28 trojan pilot?

i seen a post here but instead of going through 68 pages of info i was hoping some of you with this bird could list some tips and tweaks for the trojan right out of the box, such as taping the leading edges of the wings, and reinforcing things and whatnot. also does it need any trimming of the control surfaces or does she fly nice right from the box? thanks for any input, chris
Old 12-29-2008, 01:18 AM
cjg

Default RE: any tips far a parkzone t-28 trojan pilot?

mine flew well out of the box. Since then I've had to do a few repairs and rebalance the center of gravity, but still flying well.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:22 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Go to the "user reviews" link and read the ratings, "build tips" and "set up" tips for the Trojan. Here's my short term and long term list of some things I would do:

Short term:

1. Turn on the Tx and center all the trim slides, plug in the battery to get the servos centered, then unplug the battery and adjust the yoke on the elevator so it is about 1/16" below the stabilizer surface when servo and the trim centered. I've put together six of these planes and every one was "climb happy" out of the box. A couple of my friends crashed theirs on first flight due to this.

2. Put some extra glue on/around the main landing gear mounts and the elevator servo. I've had both come loose due to the factory glue isn't always sufficient.

3. Taxi around some to make sure the nose gear is centered and tracks straight with the trim slide centered. If not, adjust the yoke on the rudder servo.

4. Range check everything real good at a couple hundred yards if possible, the stock radio system is prone to glitches and interference.

5. Fly with Tx on low rates until you get familiar with it.

6. Get some altitude then reduce the throttle to about 3/4 and it will handle a little gentler so you can get used to the plane a little before WOT.

Long term:

1. Buy a better radio system, its just a matter of time before you have problems with the stock set up.

2. Buy a better battery charger for the same reason.

3. Buy an aluminum motor mount for same reason.

4. Check the set screw on the prop spinner periodically, they like to come loose now and then after several hours of flying.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:17 AM
downunderdog

Good tip on the elevator servo.... After a recent, uh hard landing, I noticed the elevator servo had popped out (easy to notice because the canopy exercised it's "auto open" feature, too). So, I guess it was a crash, and not a hard landing because it was due due to equipment failure and not pilot induced. I had assumed that it popped out due to the crash... er, hard landing at the time... and just popped it back in (it seemed to stick in fairly solidly) and didn't worry about it. Before my next flight, though, I'll put some double sided tape on it, or maybe even some glue.

To your list of suggestions, I'd add puttting some reinforcement on the firewall around where the nose landing gear pivot attaches - I've seen where people glue in a doubler on the aft side of the firewall (mine broke around the NLG mount, so I glued in some doublers on the front side, but preventing the break with a doubler on the back would be more clean looking).

I also bought the metal motor mount off of e-bay after a "nose first", uh, landing.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:23 AM
crazychris46dividedby2

excellent tips, thanks for the info, those are the kinds of thing i was hoping to find before ever taking to the sky. i have a feeling a better radio is something ill be getting very soon as the 2 fields that i fly at both seem to have a big problem with radio interference. i heard before that cb radios can cause alot of trouble with planes and both of the fields where i fly have a good amount of high traffic with alot of big rigs, and also having 3 cab companies in town might be adding to the interference. what would be a good affordable radio that would work with the stock rx for the trojan? thanks guys, chris
Old 12-29-2008, 03:10 PM
mnadig

Thanks for the tips hugger. Just got my T-28 for Christmas and have flown it once since with 3 great and 1 "ok" landings . Last time I flew was 20+ years ago w/ small gas 40 & balsa trainer, so electric is new. Just like riding a bike

I haven't a clue about the care and feeding of a electric - Li-Po in this case. Any FAQ out there?

I second crazychris' question about any recommendations for a replacement radio (and charger).
Old 12-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Bladecx2guy
My Feedback: (2)

Well, If you step up now and buy the Dx6i 2.4ghz Dsm2 technology that comes with an AR6100 rx for $199.00 youll be set for good. Even if you decided to go to a glow setup. It's pretty much the best thing out right now and most people are switchin to it. The nice thing is it has a ten model memory so you can fly ten planes with one radio or tx as youll see it in these posts. You just have to buy ten recievers(rx). Im not sure about what else is out there but Spektrum Dx6i is what i fly with both on my trojan and my corsair and i love it!!!!!

happy landings
-Jeff
Old 12-29-2008, 03:42 PM
crazychris46dividedby2

i have a question guys, just finished assembling my trojan, got it all set up nice and pretty but while its "idle" meaning no control inputs at all the reciever is making a stuttering humming type of noise. is this normal or should it be completely silent? chris
Old 12-29-2008, 04:06 PM
DanMN

Sounds like you have a servo that has force against it. My guess is that the receiver isn't making the noise, that a servo is. Check your servo's to make sure that the control rods move easily and that there isn't any binding. GL!
Old 12-29-2008, 04:15 PM
DanMN

Also add this to the "to do list"

1. buy a gallon of 2 part 5 min epoxy and keep with you when flying

2. buy 6 rolls of clear packing tape and keep with you while flying

Keep these two items close at hand. Also some foam safe CA comes in handy.

These little planes get a little loose after you fly them a bunch. Always check over everything before flying! You never know what's coming loose. Too lose a plane because a control rod comes loose or something similar will bug the heck out of you because you can prevent this stuff from happening.

Just kidding about the whole gallon. A couple of quarts of epoxy should do.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:14 PM
crazychris46dividedby2

thanks for the tips, also has anyone had issues with the cigarette plug popping out of the socket? the spring loaded tip seems way to strong and the dang thing wont stay in the socket. any ideas?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:01 PM
hugger-4641

Are you plugging it directly into the car socket or are you using a splitter or multi port adapter? I have a 4 port adapter that has some sort of overload protection inside (I guess for using and actual cigarette lighter). It keeps the charge plug from seating in all the way sometimes, so I just dont use that port much. If your'e plugging it right into the car, you might have to tweak the ground strip on the charger plug a little to make it fit tigter.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Bladecx2guy
My Feedback: (2)

Thats normal chris mine does it too....Its no big deal. . .or at least i dont think it is.......My corsair makes the noise a lil too but not near as much as the trojan. . .I just got home about an hour ago from flying them and its never a let down i love these birds!!.....

p.s. Ive found that gorilla glue and tape wich you can pickup at the local grocery store comes in real handy and is super strong and great on the foamies!!!!!! Happy Flying!

-Jeff
Old 12-29-2008, 09:14 PM
hugger-4641

mnadig, theres a forum here specifically for batteries and chargers that will give a lot of info. Also another forum for Brushless motors and Esc that has a lot of info. Here is a link to an e-book on electric flight that one of the moderators put in another post. I'm not sure if I copied the link correctly, but the moderator was aeajr, you could search his posts or mine if this link doesn't work.
[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm[/link]
Old 12-30-2008, 02:08 AM
crazychris46dividedby2

so many questions, tell me to stop! lol, so im wondering what you guys are using to paint this amazing bird? and what can i use to remove the stock paint? thanks yet again, and thanks for the next question i ask too, lol, chris
Old 12-30-2008, 01:59 PM
crazychris46dividedby2

i decided to hold of on painting the trojan, instead im considering ading flaps to it. i have 2 e flite eflrs75 servos. i read the other post where people are talking about the flaps and how using digital servos are not suggested and im wondering if these would be safe to use on the trojan. i looked them up and there analog not digital, and run at 4.8 to 5.3v dc. not sure if thats going to be to much power draw on the electronics. also i was wonder how would i use both servos on a single channel, with a "Y" connector, and is it safe to have 2 servos running on a single output? i know the alierons work the same way but im unsure if it can handle running an additional 2 servos on a single channel. any help would be great, thanks chris
Old 12-31-2008, 03:36 AM
bzinfinity

How are you guys adding flaps?

Are you just cutting the wing material and making tape hinges? Or is there an actual aftermarket kit for the flaps?
Old 12-31-2008, 11:34 AM
crazychris46dividedby2

i finished the flaps on my trojan last night guys, gotta say it was just as easy as you have said it is. took maybe 3 hours, taking my time of course but turned out very well. bzinfinity, yes we are cutting the wing and using tape hinges or at least i did and one other person did too. we are also using the 5th channel to control the servos that lower and raise the flaps. its fairly simple to do, in the post north american t-28 trojan there is a more detailed description of how it is done with pics also. chris