Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 06:59 PM
moparmyway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

Here we have "Popcorn" running between 125 mph (against the wind) and 140 mph (with the wind).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL15JMxrICo

NEXT motor up............................16/40/2

Old 08-08-2010, 07:59 PM
lbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just received my first Stryker. I want to use my Tracker III transmitter but seem to have slight issues. Does anyone have the spec's on the re672 receiver?

I can get everthing to work but I want to use channel 5 (on the transmitter) for switching on and off navagation lights.

When I activate my gear channel (5) the motor revs up to about 1/4 throttle with the throttle lever in the off position. It seems that the receiver is mixing channels 3 and 5 as my transmitter is not set up for mixing those channels.

I tried looking on the Parkzone website for info but saw nothing...

I'm sure I can figure it out but kinda looking to see if someone has the answer..

Larry

Old 08-08-2010, 11:52 PM
TWODOG

Mopar..."Popcorn" seems to be movin and groovin pretty good!!
The video is with the 16/40/1.5RC??...and a APC 7" x ?? prop...what pack are you runnin in the video??
You say the 2C is up next? what pack size do have planned for the 2C?...prop choice??
I have one of each on the way...andquestions, questions and more questions...hope you don't mind...
I went back thru the thread and found your C/F layout...is the bottom glassed?
Would you do anything different to the layout...after a few flights now?
And...what servos are you using? HS82MGs?? do u prefer analog over digitals?
Much appreciated!!
Old 08-08-2010, 11:58 PM
TWODOG

Calvin...the EPP Stryker looks great!!
Looks like I might have to get some glassin pointer from you...
What motor do u have in that one?
With the Nano 4S 2200, what kinda fight times are u getiin out of it?
Lookin forward to gettin back home!!...Lee
Old 08-09-2010, 03:46 AM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: TWODOG

Mopar...''Popcorn'' seems to be movin and groovin pretty good!!
The video is with the 16/40/1.5RC??...and a APC 7'' x ?? prop...what pack are you runnin in the video??
You say the 2C is up next? what pack size do have planned for the 2C?...prop choice??
I have one of each on the way...and questions, questions and more questions...hope you don't mind...
I went back thru the thread and found your C/F layout...is the bottom glassed?
Would you do anything different to the layout...after a few flights now?
And...what servos are you using? HS82MGs?? do u prefer analog over digitals?
Much appreciated!!
16/40/1.5sc
4s5000 (30/60)
APC 7x9 (Try it at your own risk, 7x7 is better choice for NOT pushing things)
ICE 100
Custom RC Parts motor mount assy
Heatsink with paste

The 16/40/2c is up next, will see what works on it

The CF layout is perfect, wouldnt change a thing

HS5085MG

Bottom and top are "painted" with epoxy, NO glass
Old 08-09-2010, 04:54 AM
TWODOG

Thanks Mopar...I had ordered of 5085s yesterday andalready them in a couple of my Ritewings...I was hoping that they would be a good choice for the Strykers as well.
I have been talkin to Gryphon about the Megas and he has helped me quite a bit with my motor selections and getting them ordered for me.
I chose both the 1.5RC and the 2C...my first build will be with the 2C...after watchin your video, I think I will be very happy with those motor picks.
I got a 3 new TP 5S 3850s (30/60) for the 2C and haveworkin on prop choices...?? I got some more saving to do...$$...before I can afford thepacks needed to run the 1.5C..
I can not thank Gryphon enough for hisassistance and recommendations...and I am lookin forward to your posts with the 2C...to help with the prop decisions.
I am currently in Guam till the end of the month and can not wait to get home and start on my first DarkSide project with the 2C...
Old 08-09-2010, 06:30 AM
c-poppy
My Feedback: (1)

Lee,

Hey man. Glad to hear back from you. Thanks man for the compliment!!!Yeah, the EPPStryker flies very good as well.

I have a turnigy motor in it as we speak but been looking at a few others to put into it. I just missed a Mega 16/35 on the classifieds yesterday. It was only $75...I would've jumped all over it. I have a couple other motors on hand that I can run in it but they are 36 mm 1600 watt motors.

Yeah man, I'll be glad to give you some glassing pointers.

I haven't ran the Turnigy Nano Tech's in my Stryker yet as I just got them in. Can't wait tho!!!They should wake it up a lil more....

Can't wait till you get back so we can have some real fun...

Talk to you soon man,
C-Poppy

Calvin...the EPP Stryker looks great!!
Looks like I might have to get some glassin pointer from you...
What motor do u have in that one?
With the Nano 4S 2200, what kinda fight times are u getiin out of it?
Lookin forward to gettin back home!!...Lee
Old 08-09-2010, 06:41 AM
8873peterm

ORIGINAL: moparmyway
16/40/1.5sc
4s5000 (30/60)
APC 7x9 (Try it at your own risk, 7x7 is better choice for NOT pushing things)
ICE 100
Custom RC Parts motor mount assy
Heatsink with paste

The 16/40/2c is up next, will see what works on it

The CF layout is perfect, wouldnt change a thing

HS5085MG

Bottom and top are ''painted'' with epoxy, NO glass
Mopar,
I've just started to test an APC 7 x 6 on my 16/40/1.5SC on 5 cells and was expecting to post some ICE graphs but unfortunately the weather has been beating me! So when you said 7 x 9 was risky on 4 cells its got me wondering! Either it's really hot in NY at the moment or I expect your batteries are keeping up much high voltages under load than mine or likely both!

What has been your inflight unloaded WOT cell voltages been with these higher pitched 7 inch props if you don't mind me asking?

Hopefully I'll start testing again soon!

Regards
Peter
Old 08-09-2010, 07:04 AM
moparmyway

Thanks Mopar...I had ordered of 5085s yesterday and already them in a couple of my Ritewings...I was hoping that they would be a good choice for the Strykers as well.
I have been talkin to Gryphon about the Megas and he has helped me quite a bit with my motor selections and getting them ordered for me.
I chose both the 1.5RC and the 2C...my first build will be with the 2C...after watchin your video, I think I will be very happy with those motor picks.
I got a 3 new TP 5S 3850s (30/60) for the 2C and have workin on prop choices...?? I got some more saving to do...$$...before I can afford the packs needed to run the 1.5C..
I can not thank Gryphon enough for his assistance and recommendations...and I am lookin forward to your posts with the 2C...to help with the prop decisions.
I am currently in Guam till the end of the month and can not wait to get home and start on my first DarkSide project with the 2C...
GUAM ??????
Dont remind me !!!!!!
I wont ever be there again !!!!!

I will test the 2 turn to about 90-95 amps for you. Those 3850 packs you have will deliver 115 amps, but at 80-85% you are looking at just under 100 amps for a load that wont kill them.

The 1.5s will run on your 5s3850 packs.......................are you sure of the 1.5r as your choice ???
Gryphons advice is allways spot on, possibly your criteria could be slightly modified toward the 1.5s ???
Old 08-09-2010, 07:08 AM
moparmyway

Here is KING LYMEY with the MEGA 22/50/1e running 6 cells with the 7 inch prop.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj66327.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	1481362  
Old 08-09-2010, 07:19 AM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: 8873peterm
Mopar,
I've just started to test an APC 7 x 6 on my 16/40/1.5SC on 5 cells and was expecting to post some ICE graphs but unfortunately the weather has been beating me! So when you said 7 x 9 was risky on 4 cells its got me wondering! Either it's really hot in NY at the moment or I expect your batteries are keeping up much high voltages under load than mine or likely both!
What has been your inflight unloaded WOT cell voltages been with these higher pitched 7 inch props if you don't mind me asking?
Hopefully I'll start testing again soon!
Here is the 30c batts, (when running the 45c batts, voltages (and amperages) are higher).
OAT temps were 95/96 when I ran this setup
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Do82249.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1481363  
Old 08-09-2010, 03:42 PM
8873peterm

Thanks Mopar,
That graph answered all my questions and those that I didn't think of earlier!

Regards
Peter
Old 08-09-2010, 05:10 PM
TWODOG

Mopar..it is the 1.5RC...i was kinda leanin towards a 4S motor for that choice

And yes...Guam...been here since mid March...it has been fun...and the money is good while I am here
but 5-1/2 months is too long...Cant wait to get home!!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:28 AM
chippedprop

Just to give you guys a heads up

MicroDan has a motor that will work on reg. ESC. By that I mean in the past if you run 4 cells or more you had to have a ESC with a switch rate of 16 hz.

So he now has one that will work at least with a scorpion brand ESC ( I used a 90 amp)
Numbers
2700kv...... out runner.....stronger mags. then in his current motors...reduced number of mags. on bell.......different wire pattern....with prop on the motor it clicks to each mag. field
makes a very cool sound when it free wheels ( high whine )

4 cells Turnigy 2650 30-40 c 10% used
APC 5.5x4.5 prop
amps 59 -60
watts 750 -800
weight less then 2 oz

Field tested on site using my FunJet...No radar but est speed around 125 mph with tested APC prop unlimited vert...does not slow down at all

Switched motor last night onto Stryker test bed will fly this am as it's due to hit 100 here today

Video to be shot this weekend

So we now have a 60 -70 dollar motor.... lite weight.... will run on 4 cells maybe more...and you can use your ESC not e-flight brand which is limited to 60 amps.
GREAT customer service...will make you a custom motor if you want....Oh and Dan uses perm sealed bearings

STAY TUNED FOR UPDATES!!!!!!!

Chippedprop
Old 08-11-2010, 01:39 PM
c-poppy

Chippedprop,

Mey man, that's good news to hear! I'd love to hear more about that motor. I may be interested in testing one myself. Let me know where to find it as I'l like to look into it myself.

Thanks,
C-Poppy
ORIGINAL: chippedprop

Just to give you guys a heads up

MicroDan has a motor that will work on reg. ESC. By that I mean in the past if you run 4 cells or more you had to have a ESC with a switch rate of 16 hz.

So he now has one that will work at least with a scorpion brand ESC ( I used a 90 amp)
Numbers
2700kv...... out runner.....stronger mags. then in his current motors...reduced number of mags. on bell.......different wire pattern....with prop on the motor it clicks to each mag. field
makes a very cool sound when it free wheels ( high whine )

4 cells Turnigy 2650 30-40 c 10% used
APC 5.5x4.5 prop
amps 59 -60
watts 750 -800
weight less then 2 oz

Field tested on site using my FunJet...No radar but est speed around 125 mph with tested APC prop unlimited vert...does not slow down at all

Switched motor last night onto Stryker test bed will fly this am as it's due to hit 100 here today

Video to be shot this weekend

So we now have a 60 -70 dollar motor.... lite weight.... will run on 4 cells maybe more...and you can use your ESC not e-flight brand which is limited to 60 amps.
GREAT customer service...will make you a custom motor if you want....Oh and Dan uses perm sealed bearings

STAY TUNED FOR UPDATES!!!!!!!

Chippedprop
Old 08-11-2010, 02:15 PM
chevypower1930

Well fellas here it is! got a nice big package on my front porch today [>:]

The guy who modded this Stryker did an awesome job... it looks great, great lookin paint and the stripes are actually decals... all looks very clean and well done, and the F18 nose cone looks great too! He also trimmed the vert stabilizers makes it look a lot more streamline.. very happy! Still recovering from surgery so cant' take her out quite yet! Can't wait to get better and get to the field with this thing
Old 08-11-2010, 08:25 PM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: chevypower1930

Well fellas here it is! got a nice big package on my front porch today [>:]

The guy who modded this Stryker did an awesome job... it looks great, great lookin paint and the stripes are actually decals... all looks very clean and well done, and the F18 nose cone looks great too! He also trimmed the vert stabilizers makes it look a lot more streamline.. very happy! Still recovering from surgery so cant' take her out quite yet! Can't wait to get better and get to the field with this thing
Welcome chevy,
Sorry to have to say hi like this, but I would do something with the motor mount, it seems to have a big hole where there shouldnt be one...............AND.................it looks like you still have the stock clevises installed. They have been VERY reliable in breaking while in the air, for no good reason at all other than "just because they want to".
Old 08-11-2010, 08:39 PM
chevypower1930

Mopar, thanks for the heads up, I looked at the mount and it SEEMS snug... it seems as it is cut and the actual motor screwed into the mount though... he has had over 30 flights with this set up, still seems iffy though huh! yeah I'll be replacing the clevis's as i've read the same thing.

I'll go ahead and replace the motor mount to if yall can point me in the direction of a correct mount.

Thanks for the help,
Adam
Old 08-11-2010, 10:00 PM
chevypower1930

What prop do yall think would be best for my set up? I'm looking for a strong climb outs as well as high speed.. kind of a meet in the middle prop?
Old 08-12-2010, 12:00 AM
murdnunoc

Chevy,
It takes a little guessing to figure stuff out without knowing specifics on your motor, available batteries, and ESC. If you post some of that info, we can help better refine your setup. Here's a starting point if you're running with a 2200ish 3S LiPo setup, and your motor is a somewhat generic (nothing wrong with that) 2600kv outrunner.

You can likely run in the 35-40 amp range. Does your ESC handle that? If so, you can start with a 6x4 APC Sport prop and see how your motor feels on landing. If it's cool or only a little warm, you can run an APC 6x4E (electric) prop. It'll pull more power and give more performance.

Either or the 6x4 props are a good mix of speed and climbing. If you want to trade a little climbing for some more speed, you can run an APC 5.5x4.5E prop for near the same amps as the 6x4E.

A major step up for speed would be the APC 6x5.5 prop. But only run that if the motor, ESC and batteries are not getting too hot.

If you have equipment with more or less capabilities, post about it and we can work from there!
Old 08-12-2010, 01:59 AM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: chevypower1930
I'll go ahead and replace the motor mount to if yall can point me in the direction of a correct mount.
Thanks for the help,
Adam
Here is the BEST mount in the world !!! I think he just completed a new mount for your style of outrunner, contact him VIA the website or PM through RCU (his screen name is Custom RC Parts).
http://www.customrcparts.com/motorMo...05&bannerID=9#

Murdnunoc has just given you ALOT of great info to digest. It would benefit you and us if you also could acquire a watt meter and possibly a tachometer so that you can get some real time numbers to us from your new Stryker.
If I could offer you one little tidbit of more info.............................you can hold your finger on to a 160 degree (F) object for about 2 seconds before you must pull it away. Your ESC and motor should stay under this temp for best performance and your battery should NEVER get that hot.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:00 AM
TWODOG

C-poppy...that motor is from Dan at gobrushless.com..."MicroDan" motors...I have two microdans on a couple of my ritewings...the 2800kv "speed" and a 2900kv...you have seen both of them rip at 3-0.
I just scanned his website and did not see the 2700kv that chippedprop is talking about...It must be something new...you can probablly e-mail him and find out.
I know Dan is always working on new ideas and constanly finding ways to improve his motors...they are extremely dependableand have a good following thruought the rc threads...Dan is also very dedicated to his buyers and will repair and support his products at all costs...he has always been a pleasure to talk to and deal with. Please keep us updated chippedprop...I look forward to seeing this new 2700kv...sounds like Dan is keeping up with his reputation!!
Old 08-12-2010, 04:17 AM
chevypower1930

Alright guys.. first off thank yall so much for your responses and all the info already given!

Here's some more info on my set up:

Motor: G&C Hobby GC 2820-KV2700 (Guess it's a 2700 kv motor)
ESC: Stock Stryker ECU
Battery: 3s 1800-2200 mAh

Thanks guys.... any suggestion on an upgrade ECU? I'd like to have this stryker a real quality nice and reliable flyer (AS WELL AS A WHITE KNUCKLE FLYING PLANE!)

-Adam
Old 08-12-2010, 06:23 AM
c-poppy

Lee,

Hey man.Yeah, I scanned the site too but couldn't find the motor that chippedprop was mentioning. Maybe it's a new one. Yes, I knew that you were running those motors on you wings. I'm anxious to see how they would run in a Stryker on 4S lipo.

Hey man, hope all is well with you. I'm heading outta town the weekend and won't return until next weekend. If I don't talk to you b4 you return, HAVEASAFETRIPBACK!!!!

C-Poppy

C-poppy...that motor is from Dan at gobrushless.com..."MicroDan" motors...I have two microdans on a couple of my ritewings...the 2800kv "speed" and a 2900kv...you have seen both of them rip at 3-0.
I just scanned his website and did not see the 2700kv that chippedprop is talking about...It must be something new...you can probablly e-mail him and find out.
I know Dan is always working on new ideas and constanly finding ways to improve his motors...they are extremely dependableand have a good following thruought the rc threads...Dan is also very dedicated to his buyers and will repair and support his products at all costs...he has always been a pleasure to talk to and deal with. Please keep us updated chippedprop...I look forward to seeing this new 2700kv...sounds like Dan is keeping up with his reputation!!
Old 08-12-2010, 08:37 AM
murdnunoc

Chevy,
How WHITE do you want your knuckles to be? [sm=biggrin.gif]

Mopar's suggestion of a wattmeter is priceless!

With your present motor and batteries, you won't need over a 50A ESC. But the thing with ESCs is that just a little more money gets you a bunch more amps. Do you expect you'll be running more power in the future? You can probably get just shy of the 600W required to fly 100mph on your current motor. If you want to run 125mph, that will require about 900W, which can be achieved at 60A on a 4S battery. If you want to do 150mph, plan on a 100A ESC.

60A ESC is a good upgrade from stock-ish equipment. It'll give you a lot of room to play with. If you see your speed and power desires increasing rapidly, you'll save money in the long run by going with the 100A.

The Castle Creations ICE line is tough to beat for performance and value. $85 for a 50A or $120 for 100A.
They have an awesome in-flight data logging feature that will save you money since you won't need a wattmeter.

The [link=http://www.google.com/product_url?q=http://www.toysonics.com/hobbywing-pentium-80a-brushless-electric-speed-controller-esc-w-ubec.html&fr=AA1QbKw4xXaKu9lZWlD08Vz3zf9Fhzdb76q98hX4rcUQROg q9XsdsTopcseQYxlT3-S-Uthjmz2v7SV8h3X3y0fIYCkrsGgqE7WtUfZfHg_7AxbuH-vVMEpszOQHCYocVNbIvpAUTBZaojGIfOnUJjW3JjZbTQEDV-2k69by4Gn1yyz9rSLhRUfN2ElYJQlkwgAAAAAAAAAA&ei=NfdjTLnJHYGSwQWM6vGmBQ&sig2=oB05zXlsAjtOutNzOUTuoQ&gl=us&hl=en&sa=title&ved=0CAkQgwgwADgA]Hobbywing Pentium[/link] line has also been run with great results. They have all the programming you'll need, but not as customizable as the Castle stuff. But they work. Also look for re-brands of the same line under the Exceed RC and [link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3727&Product_Name=TURNIGY_Plush_80A_w/_UBEC_Speed_Controller]Turnigy Plush[/link] names. Note the Turnigy line is ordered from Hong Kong.

These are just a few examples of popular choices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.