Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ZAGA launch

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 11:52 AM
Dammitdon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZAGA launch

how do you launch your zagi
Old 04-03-2002, 01:36 PM
tipstall-RCU

Default Launching your Zagi

Just grip it and rip it.

Seriously,

I grip it with my right hand and put the index finger to the left of the cowl and the middle finger on the right side. Throw it at about a 10-20 degree angle max, straight into the wind. Then hit the throttle and start flying. Great plane. Watch the throws, my high rates are hard to see from the low but make the difference of smooth flying (low) to snap out of loops (high).

Ken
Old 04-11-2002, 12:52 PM
MUISER
My Feedback: (3)

Default ZAGA launch

How large of an ESC do you need for the Zagi? Would a GWS 15 amp ESC work? Thanks, Ron
Old 04-12-2002, 10:16 AM
Geoffbob
My Feedback: (12)

Default ZAGA launch

I use the method nobody mentions for liability reasons... all fingers of right hand between prop and rear of wing, thumb underneath. Good slightly upward throw, little push with fingers as it leaves. Gives you plenty of time to get the radio in hand and hit the throttle. The problem here is if you move the throttle at all while you're holding the plane, your fingers are in the way of the prop. Fun plane, but as the post above mentions, if you use too much throws it gets pretty prone to stalling. Happy flying!
Old 04-12-2002, 12:49 PM
iflyok

Default hand launching a zagi

It doesn't feel right at first but I've been 100% successful launching mine as it shows in the plans. Facing the front of the plane, with it right side up, I grab the leading edge near the canopy with my thumb on the top side of the wing. I then give full power (not recommended by the manufacturer) and throw it into the wind like a baseball from the outfield. I've had good launches every time without a hint of prop wash (or prop strike) on the backside of my hand. I'm sure it would also work by giving it power after the throw... I've totally enjoyed flying mine and hope you have a similar experience.
Old 04-29-2002, 06:10 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

Default ZAGA launch

I toss my 400X left handed (took practice as I'm right handed) with my first two fingers under the prop. I put my thumb as far foreward as possible and use my ring finger to balance. I throw it like I'm trying to get a 10 to 20 foot "test glide". I could probably throw it twice that hard, but I try to use no follow through. I have programmed a throttle kill switch in reach of my right ring finger without releasing the right stick. Once the Zagi goes I throw the switch and the motor spins up. I have full power within 3 feet of release. A full charge yeilds an impressive and immediate climb out. I usually don't focus about being straight into the wind. The push I give, followed by immediate full power handles 10 to 12 mph crosswinds ok.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:11 PM
nIgHthAwK17

Default ZAGA launch

I have tried launching my Zagi both ways, but honestly, throwing it with your fingers in the back next to either side of the pod gets you, by far, more power out of the launch.... My two cents....
Old 04-29-2002, 09:33 PM
Mode1
My Feedback: (10)

Default ZAGA launch

We installed a small wood skid on the bottom/center and use it to throw. The skid is made of 1/4 hard balsa with a nyrod "skidplate" on the bottom. Works fine with power on or off.