Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Slow Stick: elevator vs rudder throw & prop suggestions?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Slow Stick: elevator vs rudder throw & prop suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 04:03 AM
Hanger-Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Stick: elevator vs rudder throw & prop suggestions?

After nearly an hour of flying and a couple of nose-over landings, the original prop broke. I have a couple of smaller props. Is the Slow Stick "fussy" about props? The plane seems to fly well on only about half throttle anyway.

Also...it seems that a big rudder throw is good for those tight turns but the elevator throw is very sensitive. Should I use the inside hole on the elevator horn instead of the middle one? Or should I keep the mid setting for those little "emergency" climbs to avoid obstacles when close to the ground?

My first day out with the Slow Stick was nearly calm. How is it in the wind...say...5-10 mph?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	96245_41897.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	55164  
Old 07-25-2003, 06:05 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Don't know about props but what sort of radio are you using? Is it one where you can dial in some exponential throw into that elevator to calm it down around neutral?

Just a though...
Old 07-27-2003, 02:07 PM
PimpinSmurf

I have the Slow stick and I have trashed many a prop this summer. I have discovered that they tend to break right at the most proximal part where they attach to the hex nut thingie. If you take gap-filling CA and glue both ends and reattach for 20 seconds, in 2 hours or so the CA (that I have) is supposed to be at full strength. Believe it or not I have yet to have one fly off and impale someone. Although, I have definitely broken it again with another bad crash.

Good Luck!
Old 07-27-2003, 02:41 PM
rickyblaze

I had the same problem a couple of times with the nose over landing prop breakage. I used the prop saver fix and have yet to break another except for a hard nose-in landing

Rick

Name:	96861_40079.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	55165  
Old 07-27-2003, 02:42 PM
rickyblaze

And without the prop:

Name:	96864_40079.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	55166  
Old 07-27-2003, 07:07 PM
cfischer505
My Feedback: (3)

Default Slow Stik props

Mine flew best with a GWS 12-6 on the stock motor & gear box
and 1000mah 6 cell 2/3 A pack..

the wind will really push the SS around ... many times it would not make a turn INTO the wind... btw it WILL thermal!! save some power to get it back with!!

add a prop saver when you are ordering new props... as I recal Balsa Products have them...

FYI ailerons are useless at slow speeds

Mods I have made to my SS

new stiffer & longer gear wire

replaced stock motor & gearbox with GWS EPS400C-D.. ( be sure and wrap a cable tie around the motor and gearbox... the gb breaks easy)

added 8 cell 950mah KAN pack... SS now goes vertical..
Old 07-28-2003, 01:27 AM
Hanger-Flyer

Default More on Slow Stick and thanks for suggestions.

Thanks for the replies. I would like to know more about the prop saver. Doesn't GWS offer one? Is there another brand also?
I tried a fold up prop but it just did not have the thrust or balance I wanted.

I am mounting the motor along side the front of the fuselage with Velcro straps. That helps take the stress off the motor in nose-overs.

My landings are getting better. This morning about half my landings were feather light. The rest were a little "tippy".

I am getting more and more respect for the Slow Stick as a trainer and tight turning plane for inside a small area. I have pulled myself out of some nasty fixes with full power and sharp turns and elevator moves. The plane is quite responsive even when near stall.

The plane will cruise at about half throttle, but will respond to full power nicely on demand. I am beginning to think that anything with less than a 45 inch wingspan or so is just too small and "darty".

My next plane will be the "Sparky". see pic

Name:	97020_41897.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	55167  
Old 07-28-2003, 07:53 PM
sargentw

Forget the Sparky. If you can do it all with the stik, you're ready for a Terry Graupner.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:42 AM
sierra gold

Default SS Prop Size

With the stock motor and gear ratio the best props are 11x8 and 12x6. A prop saver will help save dollars in broken props. Gluing broken props back together is an accident waiting to happen.

As far as the elevator being too sensitive... is your CG correct? A tail heavy CG will make for a "twitchy" control airplane. Slightly nose heavy CG will smooth controls out.

Sierra Gold
AMA 12351
Old 07-30-2003, 12:13 PM
nrctc3
My Feedback: (3)

I've flown my friend's slow stick many times. Which eventually made me get a Fighter Bird for myself. We fly it at the airport were wind gusts can get up to 20mph and we still fly it. It was my first time flying it and I seemed to do ok, when you break the prop you can simply glue it back together with CA. So what do you guys think of the Fighter Bird? I got it because the prop cant get damaged due to it being in the rear. Good for a beginner or what?
Old 07-30-2003, 02:23 PM
PimpinSmurf

I, personally, would not recommend a fighterbird. Being a 2 channel plane, I have heard that it can get blown away without being able to give it down elevator. Plus, you run into the problem of when you stall and your nose points to the ground the only way to get it back up is to "gas" it. This seems a little counter-productive at 30 feet. That being said, I have an Aerobird (3channel) and love it. I think Hobbico makes a great package for the money and you get a good peak detection charger. However, you are limited when you want to go to another plane. For around $225-250 you could get everything you need for a Slow stick or Tiger moth and then have the electronics and radio for down the road.