RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   Badius Owners Club III (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/6371525-badius-owners-club-iii.html)

Wheelnut 12-09-2008 07:54 PM

RE: Badius Owners Club III

I don't trust myself with anything that won't fly slow;)
Maybe oneday.
I just ordered my first 4 channel plane. I ordered the Skyartech Cessna 4 channel with 4 servos, with brushless motor, esc and 11.1V lipo for $79.00 plus shipping. I have read the reviews for it, and for the price it is a very good deal. I am sure this will help with my 4 channel training.

After watching the video, I heard the guy say it would fly nice and slow. But I imagine it would be a little touchy for me. I don't have a radio that I can turn down the rates on. Maybe I can buy one next year.

Teenage Pilot 14 12-09-2008 07:56 PM

Well, the idea to build my own plane came up on Saturday. I bought the wood on Sunday. It's now Tuesday and I have the airframe just about finished, and it looks a whole bunch better than I expected. I still need to cover it but after how quickly I caught onto the whole thing I'm not expecting much difficulty. Final wingspan comes to 35.999999998", length somwhere around 34". Weight is embarassing, but at least I KNOW it isn't about to fall apart in the air;) Besides, that's what brushless motors were invented for, right?

My only gripe is that this project was supposed to take all winter. It's looking like it'll be less than a week[:@] Now I'll have to sit around ALL FREAKING WINTER with this new plane staring at me from across the room[:@][:@][:@] I guess that leaves a lot of time for fine-tuning and stuff. I'll also be able to get the money for brand-new equipment for the whole thing, i.e. no cannibalization etc.

All I'm worried about now is that I'll wait all winter, then get out to the field, fire her up and then have something break or it'll bee the worst-flying plane I own or something. In that case, though, I can always go back, buy more balsa, build a new plane, and try again. ;)

Wheelnut 12-09-2008 08:07 PM

You need to learn to stretch it out. Take your time and do a little each week. Or get a more complicated kit.

Loubud 12-09-2008 08:32 PM

If you can do a stick build quickly then Wheelnut has a good point. I think it is way to easy on the first build to over-build the plane. To much glue is usually the trouble. I'd get out there and fly it asap. This will help you a great deal in finding out how well you did.
By the way. Big congrats on tackling this kind of project. I hope this flys better than you think.

Teenage Pilot 14 12-10-2008 06:38 PM

Wheelnut: 1) I'm incapable of stretching out a building project. Anything I can do or I have time to do gets done. Period. It's a little issue that's gonna be hard to resolve, but I'm working on it. What I'm thinking about is some massively time-consuming project that I'll work on from the minute I get home from school until I fall asleep holding my glue, x-acto, etc. That'll leave no time for homework, so my grades will start dropping. That will certainly and quickly alter my building habits;)

2) My 'kit' was in the form of some balsa and a vague idea of how I wanted the plane to look. I figured out the important design points as I built. No plans, no instructions, nada. I don't plan to build anything from a kit until I have some money to spend on one. Then maybe I'll get a little daring :)

Loubud: I'm thinking the real issue with the weight wasn't the glue, but rather the fuse construction. The wing is light enough, just about what I'd expect, but the fuse is almost like I chiseled it out of a solid block of wood. Especially the motor mount anchoring system, since I REALLY don't want to deal with more of that sort of repairs;) Maybe I'll cut out some "extra" parts that looked useful when I put them on at first but now they just add weight. I'm workin' on it!

Wheelnut 12-10-2008 09:40 PM

Teenpilot,
That is understandable, and will all change with getting older;)

Loubud 12-11-2008 01:45 PM

I took a Guillows kit and modified it for electric. I made the fuse wider and the wing longer and added ailerons. Redid the tail feathers. Took me forever to do and still haven't covered her yet. I needed a wider fuse for the electronics.
I've decided that I'm going to use tissue paper and dope for the cover. Had I made the fuse prettier I would have used saran wrap in colors for covering but all of my screwups would show.:D

Don't let this hobby get in the way of school.

Teenage Pilot 14 12-11-2008 07:36 PM

Loubud, I think you mean "Don't let school get in the way of this hobby" ;) Actually, I take school very, very seriously because I have dozens of people watching me. See, I had straight A's all last year and I skipped 8th grade this year. If I screw ANYTHING up (e.g fail a class, or even get anything lower than an A minus, etc.) I end up in a big pickle.[X(]

For covering I'm thinking black on black. Maybe MY screwups won't show as easily like that. There sure are a bunch of 'em!

Loubud 12-11-2008 07:54 PM

Hey, skipped a year. BIG Congrats big boy.
Here in Calif they don't do much of that anymore. My Grandson just started Kindergarten and they can't teach him anything as he already knows it. He reads at the 1st grade level easily and can read the easier books of 2nd grade. Math is no problem either. So what do we do out here? Separate the kids. Smarter ones in this class, regular kids in that class.
He taught himself to read and write at age 4. His Mom tried to limit this but finally gave in when he wouldn't stop. A goofy idea since my Daughter has a degree in Child Development and is just a few units away from being qualified as a school Counselor. She teaches 2nd grade now. Her Minor is Child Sociology. Trying to hold him up was dumb.
Good to know that you don't/didn't have this problem.
I think the kid takes after me.

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 12-12-2008 12:24 AM

No Lou, Conner is bright;);).

TP14. look at your fuse, What can you trim/cut out of it? Is ther a bit that seems unneceaary? Remember that triangles ar the strongest shape. Can you reduce weight by trimming behind your industrial motor mount?

Tim

djnsayne 12-12-2008 01:35 AM

Lou,

Conner takes showers......therefore he cannot take after you!!!!!

Loubud 12-12-2008 11:37 AM

Geez, you guys are brutal. And, I'll have you know, I shower on Date Night.

Teenage Pilot 14 12-12-2008 11:43 PM

Well, I DID go a LITTLE heavy on the motor mount. I can trim some of that I guess, and the fuse can get a bit of a touch-up maybe. It'll be hard to work with the motor mount/batt area because I built it like a 2-layer box, with the lower portion being a really really big batt compartment (to allow easy C.G. adjustments) with a gaping hole in the front to allow prop wash to cool off the battery and the top half is a big, empty space with a 10mm wood stick running from the wing root to maybe 15mm outside the nose (for stick mounts).

Hey, I got it! I'll draw it up in MS Paint! I know everyone wants to see some of my wonderful artwork again[:'(][:'(];)[:'(][:'(]

djnsayne 12-15-2008 05:44 PM

YEA!!!!!!

Loubud 12-15-2008 05:47 PM

Hurry up already.;)

Wheelnut 12-17-2008 10:43 PM

Hey guys, what's up?? Ready for Santa?? :)) I just received my Skyartec Cessna 182 in the mail from hobbycity. Can't wait to open it and give her a good going over before the first flight. Maybe the weather will be good enough this weekend.

I have a question. I have been looking at war birds for a while now. I am looking at the Phase 3 Mini Spitfire which has a 21 1/4" wing span and a something like the P-47 from hobbycity that has a 32 1/2" wing span. Which one would be more stable. I am guessing you will say the 32 1/2" wing span. Am I right? I know there are alot of different style war birds and I am sure they all fly pretty different. Which one would be more stable?
No I am not interested in the T-28. That seems to be alot of peoples default recommendation. I have seen one close up as well as close up in flight, I just don't like it.

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 12-17-2008 11:47 PM

Gerald, the larger the wingspan the more stable. That is why I recommended the AT-6 before. I have one and it rocks. If I were to build one I would use this type of hinge. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRWW6&P=7 These allow full easy movement. The bird would be able to do more. Just my opinion.

Tim

Wheelnut 12-18-2008 07:58 AM

Thanks, but I guess that bird it out of the question $$$$

Loubud 12-18-2008 11:58 AM

Wheelnut,
A Phase 3? I've seen some of this brands models up close and dirty and actually bought one from Hobby People. It sucked. I've heard that some are ok and some aren't. I'd avoid a Phase 3 anything.

Wheelnut 12-18-2008 12:38 PM

That is what I was thinking, thanks loubud. Now I just need to find a decent warbird at a decent price. I really would like to get one from hobbycity or raidentech/nitroplanes.
I have had good luck so far with all three.
Still waiting on my Skyartec Cessna from Hobbycity. The box that I thought was it, was not it[:o] Hopefully it will be here soon. I am sure the holiday shipping has slowed it down some.

Loubud 12-18-2008 01:05 PM

Good luck searching.

Wheelnut 12-18-2008 01:23 PM

Thanks,
I am used to stepping outside the box.
A while back, a lot of guys on the micro and minis forum were looking at the CEN ME16MT and wanted to know if someone had it for feedback, but no one would buy it.
I stepped up to the plate and bought one. Just like any other RTR it needed some upgrading. But after everything was said and done, It is by far the best mini I have ever owned, and believe me, I have owned almost all of them. I am a mini freak. :D

The thing about this plane search is that I don't know the designs that well. I don't know how a P-51D Mustang differs from a Corsair or a Focke-Wulf or a Spitfire MK2 as far as flight characteristics go. If anyone knows the flight characteristics of these planes, please let me know. But I do know that they are the main plane designs that I am looking at.
Just from looking at the wing designs on these planes, the only one that really stands out to be different in my eyes is the Corsair, it looks like it would be very twitchy to me. But I have no idea.

Loubud 12-18-2008 01:37 PM

The WW2 Warbirds fly on the fast side and perform rather well. The WW1 birds like the Fokker fly slow and don't do much more than that.
Check out the GWS Warbirds. Should be plenty of info on RCU or RCG.

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 12-18-2008 02:26 PM

try allerc.com for the AT-6. $50.

hugger-4641 12-23-2008 09:41 PM

Here's my experience and opinion for what its worth, The P-51 and Spitfire are similar land based, low wing airframe designs. Given equal scale, size, weight, and power, etc. they will handle pretty close the the same. The likely reason the Corsair "stands out" to you is probably the "gull wing" airframe, designed for aircraft carrier service. The purpose of the "gull wing" was to raise the fusalage a little so the very large prop would clear the deck of the carrier during landings. In the RC world, given the same "scale, power, etc " as the p51, the Corsair has a shorter wing span and shorter fusalage that usually equates to a little more speed, a little quicker response in rolls and turns, and a little higher "stall speed", which means it needs to land a little faster. Hope this helps!